Emily Hughes Media Frenzy? | Golden Skate

Emily Hughes Media Frenzy?

lakeshore

Match Penalty
Now Sasha withdraws from SA and Emily Hughes immediately steps into the spotlight, do you guys believe Hughes PR machine will launch a fierce campaign to promote her?

How many pieces of Emily fluff are we going to see on NBC? How many times will NBC recycle Emily's story? replacement for Kwan, going to Havard, 'come back', replacement for Cohen, making another Olympic trip, blah, blah, blah.

Will causual fans be interested in Emily's story? Will Emily help USFSA sell more tickets? Will Emily make the Olympic team?

:chorus::chorus:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Now Sasha withdraws from SA and Emily Hughes immediately steps into the spotlight, do you guys believe Hughes PR machine will launch a fierce campaign to promote her?

How many pieces of Emily fluff are we going to see on NBC? How many times will NBC recycle Emily's story? replacement for Kwan, going to Havard, 'come back', replacement for Cohen, making another Olympic trip, blah, blah, blah.

Will causual fans be interested in Emily's story? Will Emily help USFSA sell more tickets? Will Emily make the Olympic team?

:chorus::chorus:

Emily ??? NBC didn't do a thing for Sasha so why would they bother with Emily?

No.

How many pieces of Emily fluff are we going to see on NBC?

None

How many times will NBC recycle Emily's story?.

None

Has there been even a peep of advertising or publicity on NBC about Skate America at all? Or for that matter, about the Winter Olympics? If so. I must have missed it.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think the NBC team will make a big deal about Emily Hughes' 'comeback' since they won't have the opportunity to beat the drum for Cohen's quest for the OGM. Instead, they will talk about another Hughes possibly going to the Olympics and becoming an upset winner.

Considering Hughes' last GP performance just a year ago, it's impossible for anyone in the know about figure skating to think of Emily in connection with the US Olympic team. Heck, Emily couldn't even win her Regionals against a skater who finished 6th at 2009 Nationals as a Junior.

Of course, the NBC team isn't exactly all that knowledgeable about skating anyway, and if they do promote Hughes, they'll likely have to eat their words once Emily actually skates.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I
Of course, the NBC team isn't exactly all that knowledgeable about skating anyway, and if they do promote Hughes, they'll likely have to eat their words once Emily actually skates.

yeah, that's right... a 2 time Olympic champion (Button), the 1984 Olympic champion (Hamilton) and an incredibily successful Olympic choreographer (Besic) don't know skating *at all* :rofl: or Tracy Wilson, David Pelletier and Paul Wylie for that matter. wow... what a lame brain cast of non-experts.

Actually, I would welcome any kind of media attention to Skate America, U.S. Nationals and the Olympics.

Tango_D_R

Rinkside
yeah, that's right... a 2 time Olympic champion (Button), the 1984 Olympic champion (Hamilton) and an incredibily successful Olympic choreographer (Besic) don't know skating *at all* :rofl: or Tracy Wilson, David Pelletier and Paul Wylie for that matter. wow... what a lame brain cast of non-experts.

I think by 'NBC Team' he meant the NBC PR Team.

Bill508

Rinkside
Emily Hughes comeback?? lol

An Emily Hughes comeback? Comeback from what? I bet YuNa, Mao and Miki are shaking in thier skates at the thought of Emily back on the ice (lol). Emily would,however, be good for laughs at the Olys. As for Sasha, after being dumped by her "friends" in Hollywood, she should now retire while still being remembered as a world class skater.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
not from how I read the rest of the post... talking up Cohen is definitely what the panel would have been doing.

Sk8tr321

Rinkside
US Skaters at Skate America

Personal Bests
Sasha Cohen 197.60 - Skate CA 2003 she's out
Rachael Flatt - 172.41 - 2009 Worlds
Emily Hughes - 166.60 - 2007 4CC

Recent Scores
Rachael Flatt - 172.41 - 2009 Worlds
Alexa Gilles - 151.92 - TEB Oct 2009
Emily Hughes 139.31 - Oct 2009 North Atlantic Regionals

Oh yea, lets not forget the competition (ouch)
Yu Na Kim - 210.03 - TEB Oct 2009

I do not have any ill feelings towards Emily. She does the liashenko jumps where I can tell if they are underrotated or not, and that's a plus while not specifically "artistic".

However, no one has said anything about how she was the chosen one to replace Sasha.. Has she done Regionals/Sectionals yet which are required for registering for Nationals? Why were other skaters of equal quality left out of the scheme?

Appreciate a reply to those queries if anyone knows?

R.D.

Record Breaker
You know, some people complain about Cohen being "trashed" and insist on jumping in every time someone criticizes her but I see her replacement getting just as much, if not more "heat" and no one bats an eyelid. Nice to see this double standard exposed for everyone to see :eek:hwell: ...

Anyway, I do hope she can have a much better showing here than she did at TEB. It would be interesting to have her back in the mix but I think she has unfortunately lost a lot of ground among the American ladies. I can see Flatt and Gilles easily beating her here (based on point totals from comps this season), but if anyone can surprise...

antmanb

Record Breaker
However, no one has said anything about how she was the chosen one to replace Sasha.. Has she done Regionals/Sectionals yet which are required for registering for Nationals? Why were other skaters of equal quality left out of the scheme?

Appreciate a reply to those queries if anyone knows?

Joe - Emily did do regionals and came second to qualify through to sectionals, as a results of her getting SA (whcih i believe is the week before her sectional) she will get a bye through to nationals and therefore does not need to compete at sectionals. By all accounts she stood a fair to good chance of placing in the top four there to advance to nationals so potentially one extra skater gets to go from that sectionals to nationals.

I'm not too sure about the selection, but seemingly most of the senior US ladies received Senior GPs or Junior GPs (and no-one who has competed in teh junior GPs may compete on the senior GP circuit in the same year) so i'm not sure there was that great of choice of other skaters, but i'm not 100% sure on that.

You know, some people complain about Cohen being "trashed" and insist on jumping in every time someone criticizes her but I see her replacement getting just as much, if not more "heat" and no one bats an eyelid. Nice to see this double standard exposed for everyone to see :eek:hwell: ...

The difference being that you actually like Emily :p

Ant

R.D.

Record Breaker

And you know that how...? :cool:

:chorus: Anyway, I actually do like the energy she brings to her performances. She looks like she enjoys what she is doing without being OTT (*cough*Leonova). I wouldn't call myself a fan of hers though. However, slow pieces don't suit her at all IMO and she's been doing those lately... :indiff: meh

But that's beside the point. What I was really getting at is that every skater gets their fair share of criticism. But not all skaters get defended equally. :rofl:

^ I want to jump in here and defend Leonova. She's not over the top, she's just...well, yeah, over the top. :rock:

Joe - Emily did do regionals and came second to qualify through to sectionals, as a results of her getting SA (whcih i believe is the week before her sectional) she will get a bye through to nationals and therefore does not need to compete at sectionals. By all accounts she stood a fair to good chance of placing in the top four there to advance to nationals so potentially one extra skater gets to go from that sectionals to nationals.

I'm not too sure about the selection, but seemingly most of the senior US ladies received Senior GPs or Junior GPs (and no-one who has competed in teh junior GPs may compete on the senior GP circuit in the same year) so i'm not sure there was that great of choice of other skaters, but i'm not 100% sure on that.

Ant
Ant - I guess one can make a case for justifying Emily to SA. I don't think the USFS is obliged to tell us their decision. I like Emly to a point, and hope we don't see a super long entry into her toe-off jumps. She does have an underrotation problem. Maybe it has been corrected.

From my recollection of posts, I would say both Sasha and Emily have their many admirers. Not enough? Certainly, look at any Sasha topic.

Sk8tr321

Rinkside
Did not know the rule about not being able to skate in Jr and Sr in the same year. There were several promising skaters in JGP. Kristine Musademba was great, and Kiri Baga is awesome. Kiri Baga is too young for the 2010 Olympics :-( 14 yrs old and won 2 JGP events!

I like Emily she is a great skater and person. I do wonder why they ruled out Samantha Cesario who beat Emily at northeast regionals last month. Samantha did not compete in JGP. You can see both their programs on icenetwork.com. Samantha is a beautiful skater.

Maybe Emily gets points for her previous international experience. Perhaps that gives her an edge in a larger international event?

I checked out 2009 NE Regionals Ladies LP on IceNet. It was a weak field. Emily came in second to a gal that had one Fall. Emily did a super 3Sal but then botched in a combo. Her landings on all her jumps are bleh. Gorgeous Layback!! But her overall look is lacking imo.

Technique and Musicality go together like a Horse and Carriage.
But how many skaters can manage that? I would say it's just for the Men.