Eurovision 2018 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Eurovision 2018

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
OK, so what I do every year is print out the running order for each Semi, and put a mark beside the songs I like as we go along. And then when all the singing is finished, I go back and pick a Top 4. (For the Final, I pick a Top 6). Then when the results are announced, I put a “q” beside those that have qualified, and see how they compare with my choices.

So, here are my Top 4 from Semi Final 1:

1. Switzerland
  2. Albania (q)
  3. Croatia
  4. Armenia

For the 4[SUP]th[/SUP] position, I was actually dithering between Armenia and Austria. But, in the end, I went for Armenia, because it was one of only 2 songs not in English (I prefer it when the songs are not in English).

There was no question of the order for the Top 3. Albania was my favourite the whole way through, until Switzerland came on and just blew the competition away. I loved Croatia, but preferred the other two.

So, I was surprised that only Albania made it through. And I was even more surprised when Scott Mills was talking about it being a shock that they got through.

Here are the other countries which I liked, in the order they performed:

• Azerbaijan
  • Iceland
  • Belgium
  • Lithuania (q)
  • Belarus
  • Bulgaria (q)
  • Macedonia
  • Austria (q)
  • Greece
  • Ireland (q)

In fact, there were only 5 songs I didn’t like:

• Czech Republic – just didn’t think it was good enough.
  • Israel – the whole way through this song, I was thinking “What on Earth am I watching / listening to?” It was awful!
  • Estonia – No doubt about it, Elina is great at singing opera. But I don’t like female opera singers.
  • Finland – Don’t get me wrong, Saara was as brilliant as ever. But, I didn’t like the song she was singing.
  • Cyprus – OK, so I admit that I was hostile towards Eleni going into this because she is not from Cyprus (she is from Greece). But, this didn’t come into my assessment of the perfromance – I just plain didn’t like it.

ALL of them qualified! :shocked:

OK, so I am used to not all of my Top 4 getting through (although, I was disappointed to have got only 1 through). But for all of the ones that I didn’t like to get through?! That was a shock.

I did get one pleasant surprise. Ever since Graham Norton was promoted to presenting the BBC’s coverage of the Final, Scott Mills has been presenting the Semis. For the past few years, he has been joined by Mel Giedroyc, and she was a good co-presenter (although, I actually preferred her predecessor, Ana Matronic from the Scissor Sisters).

But, at the start of the show, I found out Rylan Clarke had replaced Mel. And I was like “NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!” I found him unbearable when he was a contestant on the X Factor. And ever since I have been avoiding anything he has been presenting.

So, imagine my surprise when Rylan wasn’t unbearable last night. In fact, he was actually quite good.

I hope it is the same tomorrow night.

And I hope that Thursday proves to be a better night for the songs that I like.

CaroLiza_fan

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
https://youtu.be/mGy3I7opKpE
Green room jamming to 'Fuego' :laugh:
Yes, the song is not very 'deep' and has fireworks (and a beautiful, talented woman who is a born performer to some ppl despair...), but I feel that it moves people even in dole physical sense of dancing, giving out a fiery energy that unites the crowd. One of the best stagings in my opinion that focuses on Eleni, moving, impressionating that fire. Regardless, if she will win or not - she already won so many ppl's hearts and battled odds in opinions about the song (perceived as fast food and trash/cheap before contest began).

I am sorry that Armenia and Greece failed to qualify.

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
Can you imagine Salvador "no-fast-food-music" Sobral giving the winner's trophy to Fuego :laugh:

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I didn't catch the semi-final yesterday but I've been listening to the songs that got through (and others that haven't) and I'm actually really liking the quality of the competition this year. Lots of good songs. Though also some very familiar ones. I don't remember the country now but there was a very Ed Sheeran like song, for example.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Can you imagine Salvador "no-fast-food-music" Sobral giving the winner's trophy to Fuego :laugh:

Well, get this - there are groups dedicated to vote for Eleni just to witness that encounter:laugh:

Andrea82

Medalist
I thought I would have never witnessed Russia, Azerbajian, Greece and Romania all out from the finals at the same time.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I'm gunna say this: Ukraine slayed it.

Yes, definitely in my top 5 of them all - to play a little before tomorrow's finale, I think that in top 10 will be: Ukraine, Israel, Hungary, Cyprus, Lithuania, Estonia, Sweden, France, Italy and Bulgaria;)

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Right, I take back what I said about Rylan Clarke. He was back to being unbearable last night.

Over the years, I have found that I like a whole pile of acts in one of the Semis, and only a few in the other. Well, this year was no different.

So, here are my Top 4 from Semi Final 2:

1. Latvia
  2. Romania
  3. Montenegro
  4. Hungary (q)

For me, Laura Rizzotto was definitely the best of all the contestants that had to go through the Semis. So, I am really shocked that she didn’t make it to the Final.

Hungary would have been higher on my list were it not for the fact that I felt that the singer was overdoing it towards the end.

Here are the other countries which I liked, in the order they performed:

• Norway (q)
  • Poland
  • Sweden (q)
  • Ukraine (q)

This was a strange Semi, in that there were a lot of songs that I was unsure about. And I will explain why now.

• Serbia (q) – thought the song was great, and the 2 lead singers were great when singing individually. But when singing together, their voices just did not blend well with each other, or with the backing singers.
  • San Marino – Jessika was great and, on the whole, the song was great. But, Jenifer spoiled it for me (I don’t like rapping)
  • Denmark (q) – Loved the song, but the singers just weren’t strong enough for it. They sounded flat. The band representing Hungary would have made a better job of it.
  • Russia – I usually love Russia. And there wasn’t anything specifically wrong this time. I think I was just expecting something more than we got.
  • Australia (q) – Jessica was very good for most of the song, but towards the end it got too much like screeching.
  • Malta – Just couldn’t decide about this song.

And here are the ones I didn’t like, and why:

• Moldova (q) – Just didn’t think it was good enough.
  • Netherlands (q) – Although there are some exceptions, generally speaking I don’t like country music. And this wasn’t one of the exceptions.
  • Georgia – Seriously out of tune.
  • Slovenia (q) – Just didn’t like it (but well done to Lea for being one of the few people not to sing in English)

Picking up on that last point, I have always preferred it when the songs are in their country’s language. And I don’t like the trend we have had the past few years where nearly all the songs have been in English.

I have to be honest, unless we have some really great songs from the pre-qualified countries, I don’t think this is going to be one of the classic Finals.

But, I hope everybody proves me wrong.

CaroLiza_fan

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm gonna say some stuff regarding some songs from Eurovision so far and figure skating. Ari Olafsson's "Our Choice" I think works so well. Karen Chen or Kaetlyn Osmond could skate to it. And I can picture a spiral during the part where he hits the high note.

"Under the Ladder" is great for skating in my opinion. I can picture a layback during the part that where you only hear the piano.

Georgia's entry works well. I could have pictured Adam Rippon skate to it, but he's not skating next season. However, it could work for a pairs team.

"Light Me Up" would work well as a group number at the end of a gala.

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
Voting is open!!

I'm for Alexander :cheer2: he knocked it out the park! And I was so determined not to like him bc I thought the song was dumb but he's just too charismatic!! :drama:

Sorry NoNameFace, I didn't like Fuego :( it wasn't bad just not my cup of tea. I liked her outfit and staging, was cool.

Very superficial comment: so many beautiful people :love: Estonia :love:

I didn't like Surie or her song before but :cry: poor girl! So brave of her to keep going!! :cheer:

Moldova best staging!!

I'll write a longer review later :) Go Norway!!!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Voting is open!!

I'm for Alexander :cheer2: he knocked it out the park! And I was so determined not to like him bc I thought the song was dumb but he's just too charismatic!! :drama:

Sorry NoNameFace, I didn't like Fuego :( it wasn't bad just not my cup of tea. I liked her outfit and staging, was cool.

Very superficial comment: so many beautiful people :love: Estonia :love:

It is cool, we all have different tastes:) :) :)
I just clicked with it a while ago before Eurovision during dance class and it cannot get out of my head plus with whole staging, dance and performance it just was a great show:)
Saying that, I do think that it won't get juries' top vote, songs like Estonia, Ireland, Germany could be more in favour I think... I cross my fingers for Albania, Hungary and Ukraine, of course wishing Eleni a great result:)

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Every time I watch Eurovision I wonder why I bother because I'm not into the usual public favorites.

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
Every time I watch Eurovision I wonder why I bother because I'm not into the usual public favorites.

Which ones did you like? I thought there were quite a few good songs but others I thought were pretty meh ended up at the top. Especially in the jury vote.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was surprised in a good way that Austria won the jury vote. Congrats to Netta! Even though it wasn't in my top 10, nothing but congrats to her. And the trolls of twitter I see on Twitter are commenting on stuff saying unnecessary stuff.

Wished Hungary, Serbia, and Ukraine placed higher, but oh well.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Which ones did you like? I thought there were quite a few good songs but others I thought were pretty meh ended up at the top. Especially in the jury vote.

In no particular order, I liked Austria, Bulgaria, France, Denmark, Albania, Spain. My country's. Also Estonia, but it was definitely not a Eurovision song. And if one of Cyprus or Israel had to win, I would have preferred Cyprus.