Evgenia Medvedeva: 'You have only one life' | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva: 'You have only one life'

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Russia's Evgenia Medvedeva (Евгения Медведева) talks about her first competition of the season at 2018 Autumn Classic, her new programs, her motivation on new coaching change, how her training is going in Toronto, changing her style, training in Russia versus training in Canada, and more.

https://youtu.be/f-zsGgMuVcg

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Some interesting answers.
She didn't know exactly why she wants to work with Brian;

She was really feeling "free" in the free program. Form her answers, it does not look like there will be some big changes in the LP, because she said the short program was more challenging in style. But I think the SP is on the right track in terms of choreography, the LP needs to be more tango.

She does like dramatic programs.

Russia's Evgenia Medvedeva (Евгения Медведева) talks about her first competition of the season at 2018 Autumn Classic, her new programs, her motivation on new coaching change, how her training is going in Toronto, changing her style, training in Russia versus training in Canada, and more.

https://youtu.be/f-zsGgMuVcg

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well actually she stated she like the way he works, his energy...she mentioned wanting to work with him for a while.

She clearly wanted to get across that the SP dress will be retired :p

Last edited:

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Love her analogy for her first competition: "First pancake!" :rofl:

I'm happy that she's energized by the camaraderie at the Cricket Club and feels better with the recovery time available in her training plan. I think she's trying to discover who she is outside of Eteri and the Russian training system, with her emphasizing the freedom she feels with her programs and herself in general.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Great interview!

The part about Javi was really sweet, it's good to know she can rely on great people like him for support and guidance! It feels like she knows what she needs to work on with her coaches and choreographers before SCI, and she seems in a really good place mentally and ready to tackle this challenge. Good luck Zhenya!

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Such a nice interview. Evgenia is obviously intelligent and insightful with a long term view of her career. I like what she said about Javi too. I think Javi is the kind of skater that other skaters really like. One of my favourite things is the Yuzu-Javi bromance. Maybe we will get a Zhenya-Javi big brother-little sister vibe.

Thank you GS and Ted for this lovely interview.

Figure skating Teds are the best Teds.

Fluture

Record Breaker
All I can say it that interviews like these really make me proud of being a fan of such a smart, intelligent, sensible and hardworking skater. Evgenia‘s really wise beyond her years and I‘m so happy for her. Thank you, Zhenya for being such a wonderful person and athlete!

And thank you Goldenskate for talking to our lovely Evgenia Medvedeva! :)

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I just hope that she does not forget the old wisdom that it is impossible to live in the society and be free from the society and that freedom is a conscious necessity.

I'm a lot older than her and I don't know what that means. Is there something wrong with her feeling a sense of freedom now? Or is it a case of "misery loves company"?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I admire Zhenya for continuing to keep at her English. You can tell that she is still mastering certain vocabulary/conversation structure. I was impressed that she was able to start incorporating slang and idioms that native speakers. It is REALLY scary to bare yourself out there when you don't know how to articulate exactly what you're feeling.

The part I found interesting was her experience learning to understand Brian and Tracy's feedback and how she basically was exhausted from trying to figure it out at first because of the language, but I'm glad to hear it's getting better!

Thanks GS and Ted Flett for the interview. Hoping there's more to come. :)

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I kind of found Zhenya moments breaking the fourth wall by looking right at the camera endearing! It felt like something out of “The Office.”

mrrice

Record Breaker
Can I just say how amazed I am at well she speaks English. I've been to Russia and I can't tell how hard that language was for me to pick up. The alphabet and sentence structure is so much different. Bravo young lady.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It's an interview. There isn't a 4th wall in an interview.

Maybe fourth wall isn’t the right word, but there were moments where she suddenly looked at the camera and speak directly to us, the audience. Whatever that is called, I found it endearing.

Last edited:

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Great interview. Good questions. Zhenya answered them all beautifully. She is clearly a bright, thoughtful woman as well as a very talented one. Hoping for the best for her at TCC and on the ice of the world's arenas. Her English is amazingly good!

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
I think Evgenia has the right mindset and a good sense of perspective. After the free skate, she does a 'so close' gesture (probably referring to the fall on the loop) to Brian while laughing it off. A good attitude.

It's only been about three months living in a whole new country, with new training mates, facilities, coaches, etc. Over the last few weeks, she had to fly back to Russia to demonstrate her programs to the Fed and travel to Canada again to compete. Considering that, she had some very decent showings. Although her SP looks a little bit out of her comfort zone, she still sold it. Words and semantics aside, her body language at ACI shows that she enjoys performing her new programs for the audience and also Tracy and Brian's company. Glad at how she is embracing it all. Looking forward to seeing how she progresses this season.

Seruleane

Final Flight
Loved this interview. She is so honest and thoughtful in giving her answers. It must have been difficult considering English is not her first language. She is really brave to leave her team (which made her two time World Champ and Olympic silver medalist) and move across the world to work with Brian Orser. It was a big risk she took, but I admire her for it, and I appreciate that she is doing this because she wants longevity. I do think her previous style was perfected under Eteri, but I also think working with a new team will help her grow as a skater. Wishing her lots of happiness and success in the future.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Enjoyable. Especially the 'first pancake'. Haha. I really liked that analogy. Very apt.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
Evgenia is so talkactive and lovely! Great interview!
She looks happy, calm and confident. :luv17:
Best of luck to her!
:hap10: