FFKKR appealed to ISU over inconsistency in judging at the GP stages | Page 15 | Golden Skate

FFKKR appealed to ISU over inconsistency in judging at the GP stages

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
I thought Sasha's 3T was a little under, I don't know, I haven't exactly analyzed it. I'm busy being incredibly impressed with her wonderful attitude, the giggling after falling before she even started was cute. Plus her incredible physical and mental strength to pull off that SP despite her fall and being sick.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I thought Sasha's 3T was a little under, I don't know, I haven't exactly analyzed it. I'm busy being incredibly impressed with her wonderful attitude, the giggling after falling before she even started was cute. Plus her incredible physical and mental strength to pull off that SP despite her fall and being sick.

Where are you getting the news about her sickness from?
I haven’t seen anything about it. You’ve mentioned it quite a few times, was that confirmed by her?

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Where are you getting the news about her sickness from?
I haven’t seen anything about it. You’ve mentioned it quite a few times, was that confirmed by her?

I'm not sure, but everyone seems to be talking about it and were in the ladies SP competition thread too.
She does look a little sick, to be honest and was blowing her nose during practice a lot.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I'm not sure, but everyone seems to be talking about it and were in the ladies SP competition thread too.
She does look a little sick, to be honest and was blowing her nose during practice a lot.

everyone blows their noses, it's cold on the ice rinks. That's why every single skater has their own tissue box plushie.

colormyworld240

Medalist
I don't know why people are thinking this is whining - RusFed is not complaining over social media. To my understanding, they've opened up a formal complaint with the ISU. It is their job to protect their skaters (not the individual, but scoring and placements for the skaters representing Russia). Of course they should open a case if they think scoring is harsh for Russian skaters.

Yes, Russians are not the only ones who are given harsh scoring, and there is no doubt that Russians have benefitted from lenient calls. But it's not RusFed's job to protect skaters of other nations, that is the responsibility of their respective federations. And of course RusFed is not going to tell the ISU "Hey, one of our skaters have a flutz that you didn't call, can you call it and take away their medal/record?". Obviously they are doing it now because it affects their skaters.

To assume such things is to have no understanding of the purpose of a country's skating federations. Their interests are to protect the scoring and placements of their own skaters and to maximize their results in competition. This is not cheating, they are simply advocating for their athletes. The same thing that happens when the D score in gymnastics is protested, or a penalty is disputed in a match. The RusFed is not the figure skating justice department, that is the ISU. RusFed only protects their own, and I don't see a problem with opening a formal complaint to the ISU about their concerns. The other federations are also free to do so.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
everyone blows their noses, it's cold on the ice rinks. That's why every single skater has their own tissue box plushie.

Sorry I don't have the answer you're looking for. I heard people talking about it and thought she did look a little sick but of course I do not know

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Thank heavens Jason was scored fairly and took silver at SA. He got the PCS he deserved for that SP and he got dinged for the pop in the TES. He’s one of the very few who will get close to the PCS merited by a program without needing the ridiculous “quad PCS bonus”.

More skaters without quads should get the PCS they deserve and more skaters with quads should not get the quad PCS bonus.

Now *that’s* a proposal for fair scoring that I could support:yes:

I'd like to say on that regard that so many skaters who do have quads would skate a lot more freely without those elements.

Men's figure skating has been a splatfest for the past 2-3 seasons i should say and if you look at which element they fall, 90% of the times they are quads.

Not only that but skating with the pressure of the quads, and the stamina and strenght that those elements take away from you especially in the long program is a lot harder, and can affect the stability of other elements, you can hear this from literally any skater, and that's why it is more impressive to see these programs WITH the quads landed.

Olympic Champion Alexei Yagudin spoke about this very issue after Skate America.

Also to be clear my criticism was never about Brown's components: he absolutely deserves those PCS marks, no question.

I'd argue the opposite Aliev gets low components for what he does on the ice, he's also an artistic skater, ballet trained but that problem affected him even in Russia, where he got slightly lower components than Samarin (despite he fell) and i strongly disagree with that too.

My problem with the judging there was more on the GOE: i find a bit questionable see a block of +5 for an element like a 3 flip that all top skaters in Men's figure skating can perform in a sleep. Then you see on other skaters an also beautiful 4T with difficult transitions on an objectively more difficult element, and that only gets +2 or +3.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^^

I’ve heard before, oh, it takes so much time to train quads, skaters who don’t do quads have it “easier”, but I completely disagree. If it was so darn easy to do what Jason does, everyone would do it. It’s not, and he works extremely hard for those points.

I have read some translations of what Yagudin said during SA and afterwards, and if translation was correct, I found those comments sexist and homophobic. After reading that, I have so little trust in what he says, that if Yagudin told me the sun rose in the East, I would look outside to check. So it’s safe to say his opinion will not sway me:laugh:

Dima was hosed today. Samarin getting more PCS? Why even bother having a PCS score?

And I disagree that difficult jumps should get higher GOE. They get higher TES, and quite a lot. A gorgeous 3F should get higher GOE than a pedestrian 4T.

Of course, gorgeous and pedestrian are in the eyes of the judges. ;)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So agree with the above. Samarin should never get high PCS---all he does is jump, jump, jump, and he doesn't even do that with any grace or ease. He hits the ice so hard I'm afraid he will open a huge crack for other skaters to get snagged on.

Nathan and Yuzu don't punish the ice like that---they caress it.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
^^^^

I’ve heard before, oh, it takes so much time to train quads, skaters who don’t do quads have it “easier”, but I completely disagree. If it was so darn easy to do what Jason does, everyone would do it. It’s not, and he works extremely hard for those points.

I have read some translations of what Yagudin said during SA and afterwards, and if translation was correct, I found those comments sexist and homophobic. After reading that, I have so little trust in what he says, that if Yagudin told me the sun rose in the East, I would look outside to check. So it’s safe to say his opinion will not sway me:laugh:

Dima was hosed today. Samarin getting more PCS? Why even bother having a PCS score?

And I disagree that difficult jumps should get higher GOE. They get higher TES, and quite a lot. A gorgeous 3F should get higher GOE than a pedestrian 4T.

Of course, gorgeous and pedestrian are in the eyes of the judges. ;)

I saw all those skaters performing without the quads... in juniors, that's where usually you see male skaters performing only triples.

Top skaters perform quads because of the potential of getting higher scores which you could never reach with only triples even with all +5s.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
So agree with the above. Samarin should never get high PCS---all he does is jump, jump, jump, and he doesn't even do that with any grace or ease. He hits the ice so hard I'm afraid he will open a huge crack for other skaters to get snagged on.

Nathan and Yuzu don't punish the ice like that---they caress it.

Not only that but the fact that he fell in the SP, where you only have 3 jumping elements.

It used to be called the Technical Program for a reason: there are only 3 jumps, so a mistake is much bigger than in the Free.

Plus falls were a major negative deduction for performance, it used to be this way in Figure Skating for over 100 years, in the past 4-5 years especially in Men's Figure Skating given the amount of falls we are now used to see, skaters will end up getting high components regardless.

I don't understand it and in general i think it makes the audience always as confused as i am.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I mean, Samarin's PCS is more likely quad-bonus PCS rather than anything to do with his nationality. You know, like Chen outscoring Jason on PCS when anyone with eyes knows that's wrong.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Aliev's PCS marks make me very sad and a little bit angry.

I really don't approve of the quad bonus to PCS.

I will be rooting hard for Aliev tomorrow as long as I can drag my lazy self out of bed.

However I do think that Samarin is getting better with his presentation. Last year I felt that he wanted to be a better performer and was trying hard and I feel that this year he has improved. I give him props for that.

E

eterialskater

This complaint deserves to be filed — in the rubbish heap.

The entitlement it must take to complain when you're winning everything, just takes my breath away, truly.

I sincerely doubt that the Russian Federation really wants the ISU to take a comprehensive, objective and fair deep dive into what's wrong with the scoring — because they won't like the (deserved) PCS drop if they do. So it makes me wonder, what's the real agenda here? Is it to get quads added to the short? Once again, I'm not really sure why they'd push so hard right now. As we've seen on the GP, it makes no difference to the overall results.

I can't imagine they're going to engender much sympathy for what just seems like the whining of privileged elites.

In not surprised there there are some that would condone this kind of malicious scoring. Objectivity is thrown out the window as soon as they see the flag next to the name. If you can't compete then you better find some underhanded method to bring em down. The Russians are certainly entitled to complain. Whether dominating or not no country should have their skaters put under a microscope while giving massive leeway to opponents create artificial competition. It's not the Russians fault their competition just cannot keep up.

Kogan said:
I really hope that refereeing at our stage (Rostelecom) will be more objective than at some other stages.

There ya' go, Alexander. It worked! :rock:

Now I am waiting for the Japanese Federation to say, "Look at all those URs given to Japanese skaters. We really hope to see better refereeing at NHK." :yes:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I mean, Samarin's PCS is more likely quad-bonus PCS rather than anything to do with his nationality. You know, like Chen outscoring Jason on PCS when anyone with eyes knows that's wrong.

Brown had a cause to complain about his PCS?

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
How 'consistent' was the scoring at this GP stage over the days?

How 'in line' with the previous events was the scoring at this GP stage?

My feeling tells me calling and judging was lenient, but if the same leniency was applied to every skater equally, it didn't influence the end result, i.e. the ranking.

ruga

Final Flight
How 'consistent' was the scoring at this GP stage over the days?

How 'in line' with the previous events was the scoring at this GP stage?

My feeling tells me calling and judging was lenient, but if the same leniency was applied to every skater equally, it didn't influence the end result, i.e. the ranking.

In ladies, it was actually pretty standard, the scores could have been 3-4 points lower, that's it. Evgenia got an edge call, Sasha an underrotation, Mariah got !s and Satoko got a bunch of carrots. Not something unexpected. Ranking reflected what was shown on the ice.

There seems to be more outrage in Men's, for Samarin's GOEs for lutz combos in particular. More of an internal issue really, since many people say Aliev was underscored.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Ladies was fairly easy to score. The skaters made it easy for them too.

Satoko got hammered worse than at CoC but her jumps looked visibly worse this week.

I worried about Zhenya's loop combo, it looked under in the replay