Figure Skating Evangelisers: Strange ways of promoting! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Figure Skating Evangelisers: Strange ways of promoting!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Every week, team members in another office of our company have to send me material for the weekend stuff. Because I hated having a ton of stuff to do on Fridays, I instituted a "race' to see who could get all their stuff in first between the team members (who all had different things to send me). One of the guys who worked there was called Jeremy, so it quickly devolved into pictures of skaters with medals as prizes. They started really hurrying for a while because they wanted to see what I would send them this week. Jeremy even started asking after the results of "other Jeremy" (as he called him). It's gone so crazy that when I sent back a brief "You won!" email to one of the guys, they sent back a picture of Plushy :laugh2:

TMC

Record Breaker
Every week, team members in another office of our company have to send me material for the weekend stuff. Because I hated having a ton of stuff to do on Fridays, I instituted a "race' to see who could get all their stuff in first between the team members (who all had different things to send me). One of the guys who worked there was called Jeremy, so it quickly devolved into pictures of skaters with medals as prizes. They started really hurrying for a while because they wanted to see what I would send them this week. Jeremy even started asking after the results of "other Jeremy" (as he called him). It's gone so crazy that when I sent back a brief "You won!" email to one of the guys, they sent back a picture of Plushy :laugh2:

:laugh2: This is BRILLIANT

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I was in a fitness class and the instructor asked us to jump and spin, 1 revolution clockwise, 1 revolution counter-clockwise. Most people could do that.

Then he asked us to jump 2 revolutions in both directions (only a few of us could, and most had a dominant side).

Then the instructor jokingly said "Anyone wanna try 3?" to which the class laughed... but then I busted out a triple salchow to everyone's surprise. :laugh:

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I was in a fitness class and the instructor asked us to jump and spin, 1 revolution clockwise, 1 revolution counter-clockwise. Most people could do that.

Then he asked us to jump 2 revolutions in both directions (only a few of us could, and most had a dominant side).

Then the instructor jokingly said "Anyone wanna try 3?" to which the class laughed... but then I busted out a triple salchow to everyone's surprise. :laugh:
Are you sure you completed the revolutions or did you have to cheat the rotation a bit? Did you land on one foot cleanly? How much coverage did you get? :)

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
I wrote a weird poem as a sequel to that story someone wrote in the 2010 4CC thread, but it was really bad and weird and no one liked it.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

:clap:

Like Sandhu breaking out a triple Axel in So You Think You Can Dance Canada? :)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Hahaha yes! Except not a triple axel. I can only do a double axel on/off ice :laugh:

I love how Mary Murphy had no idea that was a figure skating move. I also love how he incorporated some jump elements in his SYTYCD routines.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Are you sure you completed the revolutions or did you have to cheat the rotation a bit? Did you land on one foot cleanly? How much coverage did you get? :)

Probably a +1. Hah I had no transitions in/out and it wasn't in time with the music, and only decent height and ice (hardwood lol) coverage. :biggrin: But fully rotated (I think!).

I rarely had an issue with fully rotating my jumps when I skated.... Landing it cleanly without falls or stepouts was another thing. :laugh:

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
If you are teaching a mathematics course featuring social choice models in economics and political science, the 6.0 ordinal system is perfect for illustrating concepts like Arrow’s Impossibility Theorem, Pareto conditions, independence of irrelevant alternatives, etc. In statistics, several topics in non-parametric statistics can be illustrated by figure skating examples (the distribution of the trimmed mean, for instance). I imagine there is a lot that can be said about physics, too. :)

True! I recall in uni a figure skating question involving rotational momentum and having to determine how many rotations a skater could do if they could jump a meter in the air (can't remember the answer though). I think I was a smart alec and said depends on the type of jump.