Figures and fancy skating? | Golden Skate

Figures and fancy skating?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So I saw that Debi Thomas is now competing in this and I am intrigued. But people don’t really do figures anymore. How would I find someone to teach me?

Vicki7

On the Ice
My coach knows a few figures - not many as he's too young, but our other coach can do a Maltese cross and it amazes me every time!
We'll occasionally do some figures, they're really good for strengthening edges! Also yay for some pattern dance love - I like them but my rink is too small so I have to travel to dance them properly! :)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
My coach knows a few figures - not many as he's too young, but our other coach can do a Maltese cross and it amazes me every time!
We'll occasionally do some figures, they're really good for strengthening edges! Also yay for some pattern dance love - I like them but my rink is too small so I have to travel to dance them properly! :)
I never thought I would actually miss competing compulsory dances, but I do. :laugh:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I never thought I would actually miss competing compulsory dances, but I do. :laugh:
I only took the dance tests up to what were the Gold dances in the 1970s, never competed with them. But one of the things I'd like to do before I die is get step 8 of the Bronze-level Willow Waltz, the lady's RFO 3-turn, correct so I end up facing my partner in front of him and not still on his left side. How I passed that test I do not know. I suspect the coach who partnered me subtly picked me up and plunked me down in front of him, but I've never once done that step correctly and it rankles. :drama::bang:.

Maybe when I get the wheels for my new roller skates I'll do it properly on wheels. I gather roller dancers do many of the same dances. I live in hope.