Four Continents: question on title | Golden Skate

Four Continents: question on title

Skating91

Medalist
Africa have 1.2 billion people they couldn't find a skater or skaters to represent this great continent. This seems strange to me, no?

Sorry, I'm honestly shocked there's no representation from Africa. Maybe I've looked at the wrong lists. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

But disappointing if I'm correct and there's no African representation at FOUR continents. Even the tiny state of Singapore seems to have two men in singles, the small 7 million person Chinese territory of Hong Kong has four separate representatives, but not a single representative from the great continent of Africa. This does not seem right to me. Just one person I'm asking for out of 1.2 billion. They have skating rinks there.

Seems like an untapped market, but also an issue of fairness.

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Africa have 1.2 billion people they couldn't find a skater or skaters to represent this great continent. This seems strange to me, no?

Sorry, I'm honestly shocked there's no representation from Africa. Maybe I've looked at the wrong lists. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

But disappointing if I'm correct and there's no African representation at FOUR continents. Even the tiny state of Singapore seems to have two men in singles, the small 7 million person Chinese territory of Hong Kong has four separate representatives, but not a single representative from the great continent of Africa. This does not seem right to me. Just one person I'm asking for out of 1.2 billion. They have skating rinks there.

Seems like an untapped market, but also an issue of fairness.
There are junior skaters from Africa on the junior circuit, so in the next few years they might participate in 4CC, providing there is funding.

Skating91

Medalist
It's named 4CC because it's for skaters not from the continent of Europe. If a skater from Africa wanted to/qualified for 4CC, they could.

For skaters from Asia, Americas (two continents), Oceania and Africa. This is where four continents comes from although technically five continents I suppose.

Even just a token African representative from a the great continent of 1.2 billion people would be great.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I will rejoice in the day when an African skating fed qualifies and an African skater qualifies. They will be invited regardless of world standing and that will be a wonderful day.

I am so happy for a comp like Four Continents where representation matters. Just like Worlds. An improvement over the endless nattering about only wanting to see the so-called "best" (based on some over-reliance on scores) to the detriment of actual world wide participation.

That dog don't hunt. :)

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
It's named 4CC because it's for skaters not from the continent of Europe. If a skater from Africa wanted to/qualified for 4CC, they could.
My non-skating sister-in-law is still hoping someday to see a skater from her native South Africa at 4CC. There were no rinks in the country when she was growing up there. She didn't discover skating until she moved to Canada for grad school and met/married my brother here, but there are rinks now and there have been a few SA skaters on the fringes of the world scene. (She contented herself with being a big supporter of my own skating, which is why I use her name here in tribute as my nom de GS :love:.)

gkelly

Record Breaker
South Africa has sent skaters to Four Continents in the past.

If you go to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_African_Figure_Skating_Championships and then click on the clickable names of the skaters, you will see that most of them have competed at Four Continents.

I haven't searched for more up-to-date information since 2018. It may be that the minimum technical scores now required have made it difficult for South African skaters to qualify.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
My non-skating sister-in-law is still hoping someday to see a skater from her native South Africa at 4CC. There were no rinks in the country when she was growing up there. She didn't discover skating until she moved to Canada for grad school and met/married my brother here, but there are rinks now and there have been a few SA skaters on the fringes of the world scene. (She contented herself with being a big supporter of my own skating, which is why I use her name here in tribute as my nom de GS :love:.)
There are junior skaters from Africa on the junior circuit, so in the next few years they might participate in 4CC, providing there is funding.
Gian-Quen Isaacs, last spotted at Budapest Trophy, she's eligible for Junior Worlds! :)

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada

If you go to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_African_Figure_Skating_Championships and then click on the clickable names of the skaters, you will see that most of them have competed at Four Continents.

I haven't searched for more up-to-date information since 2018. It may be that the minimum technical scores now required have made it difficult for South African skaters to qualify.

My SIL doesn't watch TV much anymore as her eyesight deteriorates, but I'll let her know about this. She's still in contact with cousins in SA, but they're not skating fans and have never mentioned this. I really should have been checking up for her. She's from Kempton Park, which I see didn't host a competition until recently -- recently by her standards, that is, since she left SA for Canada in 1959.:thank:

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Yup and they're fun to watch!
There are 3 African countries with skating federations: Egypt, Morocco and South Africa.
Some promising RSA junior skaters:

Didn't see Nicolas on JGP this season, but he was 4th in Jr Men at Bavarian Open so doing fairly well.

Cody is younger, only starting on the triples, but nice skating skills.

Besides funding they also need to meet technical minimums for 4CC. I think these kids definitely have potential to do so in future if they keep working at at it they way they are now.

Now my country has a YOG medallist :D Go small feds! :cheer:

Joe Mendoza

Virtuously Shady Diva
Final Flight
I guess another consideration is the number of specific infrastructures and climates in Africa that would be conducive to ice skating? I guess since there's 7 continents total - Europe has its own championship, and 4 continents could be - Asia, Australia / Oceania, North America, South America.

The Four Continents mirror the official "continents" represented by the five Olympic rings. I think that this was formalized for the 1912 Olympics. Anyway, the five Olympics rings represent Africa, Europe, North-South America considered as one continent, Oceana (which in those days meant Australia and New Zealand) and Asia. In modern usage Oceana also encompasses some island nations like Papua New Guinea, Fiji and Samoa. I am sure that these countries would be welcome to participate in the ISU's version of Four Continents if they had any skting programs or skaters.

Maybe one day some member of a scientic expedition studying climate change in Antarctica will petition to get in as a extra continent. Plenty of ice, anyway. :)

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
The Four Continents mirror the official "continents" represented by the five Olympic rings. I think that this was formalized for the 1912 Olympics. Anyway, the five Olympics rings represent Africa, Europe, North-South America considered as one continent, Oceana (which in those days meant Australia and New Zealand) and Asia. In modern usage Oceana also encompasses some island nations like Papua New Guinea, Fiji and Samoa. I am sure that these countries would be welcome to participate in the ISU's version of Four Continents if they had any skting programs or skaters.

Personally, I have long thought that there should be three "Continental" level Major Championships:

• European Championships (Europe)
  • Pan-American Championships (North and South America)
  • 4 Continents for the rest of the World (Africa, Antarctica, Asia, Australasia)

Apart from anything else, it would make travel easier for the participants. As it is, no matter where it is held, there will be lots of skaters having to travel to the other side of the world to take part in 4 Continents. For Small Feds in particular, the travel costs can be prohibitive.

And with carbon emissions of the airline industry under the spotlight, it would look better for the ISU to not have so many skaters travelling to the other side of the world to take part in "their" continental championships.

Maybe one day some member of a scientic expedition studying climate change in Antarctica will petition to get in as a extra continent. Plenty of ice, anyway. :)

And here are the participants of the first Antarctic National Championships queueing up to get onto the ice for their Group Warm-Up:

ice-skating-penguins.jpg

CaroLiza_fan

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Personally, I have long thought that there should be three "Continental" level Major Championships:

• 4 Continents for the rest of the World (Africa, Antarctica, Asia, Australasia)

Apart from anything else, it would make travel easier for the participants. As it is, no matter where it is held, there will be lots of skaters having to travel to the other side of the world to take part in 4 Continents. For Small Feds in particular, the travel costs can be prohibitive.

And with carbon emissions of the airline industry under the spotlight, it would look better for the ISU to not have so many skaters travelling to the other side of the world to take part in "their" continental championships.

And here are the participants of the first Antarctic National Championships queueing up to get onto the ice for their Group Warm-Up:

ice-skating-penguins.jpg

CaroLiza_fan
Love their synchro team's costumes!

Once upon time (1923 to 1971) there was a North American Championships contested between Canada and the United States. Dick Button (USA) and Barbara Ann Scott (CAN) enjoy the distinction of being the only skaters simultaneousy to hold the titles North American champion, European champeon, world champion and Olympic champion (1947-48. The next year the ISU disallowed non-Europeans from competing in "Europeans.")

The North American Chamnpionships were discontinued after 1971 amid charges on both sides that the judges always favored the country (USA or Canada) where the competition was held that year -- although if you look at the year-by-year list of winners and medallists, it is hard to see any evidence that this was the case. The real reason seems to be that Canada was in the process of preparing its own go-it-alone approach featuring their showpiece competion, Skate Canada International. The United States countered a few years later with Skate America.