Haein Lee | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Haein Lee

Vemvane

On the Ice
Photos from IdF.

She went for the 3A, though it didn't work out. Still, the only way to land the triple axel in competition is to try it in competition.

gotoschool

Medalist
Haein Lee's free skating performance at the 4CC's was absolutely fabulous. Her buttery smooth skating skills with rapid change of direction turns and marvelous musicality are combined with graceful speed and turns done deep in the corners of the rink near the boards displaying great rink coverage. The flow in and out of her triple lutz / triple toe was wonderful with no extra stroking of the free blade to gain speed. And I am really fond of her spontaneous displays of emotion, her passionate engagement and commitment to the choreography, and the expressive flair in her arm and body movements with the lace looking decoration on her sleeves adding to her picturesque elegance and excellence. My real wish is to see all three, Young You, Haein Lee and Yelim Kim at Worlds and the Olympics, since I like all their performances in varying degrees. However, I feel that Haein Lee should be chosen for Worlds and the Olympics because she only finished one point behind Yelim Kim at Nationals which is merely a domestic competition, but she finished 4 points ahead of her and far ahead of Young You in this subsequent 4CC's international championship. Furthermore, Haein Lee had the highest placement of any Korean skater at last year's Worlds. At the very least, I think the assignments for Worlds and the Olympics should be divided between Haein Lee and Yelim Kim. I can understand sending Young You because she is the national champion, won by a considerable margin and had some great skates earlier in the season.

The problems Haein Lee faced earlier in the season were due to the way in which attempting the triple axel worked on her nerves and once she wisely removed it, her performances rapidly improved. If the Korean skating federation wanted to avoid such controversy, they should have factored in the 4CC results in the decision making process or they shouldn't have sent Young You and Yelim Kim to the 4CC's. As it is, their decision is contradictory and unjust in my opinion.

All I know is that Haein Lee's freeskate at 4CC's is currently one of my favorite performances to watch and not allowing her to be seen at Worlds or the Olympics is ridiculous and completely goes against the qualities I long to see in figure skating especially since I no longer bother to follow the lead of the biased scoring system and decide for myself what qualities I want to see in a performance.

Last edited:

gotoschool

Medalist
Haein Lee gave a fabulous freeskate and my favorite one for the women at Worlds, so much fluidity and smooth speed and grace through her jumps and spins with lovely positions, crisp edging and engaging expression attuned to the music and woven together so seamlessly like elegant embroidery in motion. The surprising screams also added a sense of excitement, spontaneity and abandon. The heavy deflation of her score both in tech and PCS was ridiculous.

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
OK. I asked google how to pronounce her name and google laughed at me! :(
I dont trust announcers either.....
Is it HIGH-in or High-IN or something completely different?

Vemvane

On the Ice
Her season recap post.

Google translation:

The 2021/2022 season is finally over! ✅
:)
This season, which was exceptionally long, was so difficult that I wanted to give up at times, but I think I tried to do my best until the end. Thanks to your support whenever I was tired, I was able to get my strength back. It was fun to be able to spend this season together 🥰 Thank you! 🐥❤️
-
"Being willing to go down that road even though you know it's going to be uncomfortable and difficult, that's also a meaningful thing."

ayb2

Rinkside
OK. I asked google how to pronounce her name and google laughed at me! :(
I dont trust announcers either.....
Is it HIGH-in or High-IN or something completely different?
Looking at the Korean characters in her name, it would be "Eee HAY-een" with Eee or Lee being her family name.