Have the raised age limits changed the way you are watching Junior figure skating events? | Golden Skate

Have the raised age limits changed the way you are watching Junior figure skating events?

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Deep inside, I had doubts if it could work as an extra reason to watch Junior events but now, apparently, it works for me. Emotionally, the awareness that within this stage of 5 competitive seasons there will be skaters who will reach their peak and then decline and even realize that this is not what their body is meant to do or what they want in their lives, this does not kill the interest as I feared. Rather, the progress, the growth drama, achievements,, disappointments, all that this stage promises, it creates that feeling of a separate, complete story that may well be worth watching. That's how I feel thus far. How about you?

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not really, but I watch the men, who don't leave juniors at the first possible minute and aim for longer careers. :)

I cannot think of much less interesting than a rotating cast of names impatient to get to the senior ranks.

But that's just me :shrug:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
so far, no change. I mean, i was sleeping or working for most of it, as usual, since it was in Europe :)

But seriously, I don't believe my perception of JGP will change this year... but in a few years, it may. Some of the juniors would be there one or two season max, and then go to the senior circuit... at this point, if we get to watch them for 3-4 years, the added exposure may allow me to notice more their evolution, especially since as they turn older, some will enter the circuit, at a very young age. It will be interesting in a couple years i believe.. and i think it will be good.

Last edited:

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I kind of regret that I didn't watch Junior events earlier so I can't tell if hype around 13-year-old girls who jump Ultra-Cs will be different now when she is going to contest a senior medal in 4 years instead of 2 years. Positive outcome would be less pressure during these 4 formatting years. But it is indeed too early to tell if it will have such effect.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I kind of regret that I didn't watch Junior events earlier so I can't tell if hype around 13-year-old girls who jump Ultra-Cs will be different now when she is going to contest a senior medal in 4 years instead of 2 years. Positive outcome would be less pressure during these 4 formatting years. But it is indeed too early to tell if it will have such effect.
I feel the effects will not be seen for a while. Coaches have to adapt as well... will their young skaters able to do the big jump retain these jumps for that long??? or should they work on a fuller package right away??? I can imagine some coaches may change a bit their planning for their athletes... but that doesn't mean that there will be no big jumps.. there were quite a few triple axel attemps this weekend by the youngest of women... so, who knows? I think this thread will be very interesting in 3-4 years ;)

Last edited:

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I feel the effects will not be seen for a while. Coaches have to adapt as well... will their young skaters able to the big jump retain these jumps for that long??? or should they work on a fuller package right away??? I can imagine some coaches may change a bit their planning for their athletes... but that doesn't mean that there will be no big jumps.. there were quite a few triple axel attemps this weekend by the youngest of women... so, who knows? I think this thread will be very interesting in 3-4 years ;)
I rather hope that in 3-4 years we will get a handful of new exiting threads thanks to the effects of age limit change ;)