How'd your Olympic predictions/hopes end up? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

How'd your Olympic predictions/hopes end up?

Winry

On the Ice
I just have Yuzuru

Now I want Evgenia, Papadakis/Cizeron and Sui/Han to have OGM in 2022...

charlotte14

Medalist
I have men, pair and ice dance winners correct.
Frankly I have all 4 correct because I wanted Medvedeva to win but I knew she would be unlucky in Korea.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
My predictions didn't come true, my dreams did. Which is way, way better!!! All in all these were fantastic games for me and my faves (well, the ones who got to go. Let's not mention those who had to stay at home)

WineHerUp

On the Ice
I had my ideal podiums become realities in all of the disciplines except for ladies (perfect podium but the order wasn't what I wanted). I did not expect the Olympics to go so smoothly, considering the rough Grand Prix, but I was pleasantly surprised by all of the amazing performances.

SNAKSuyun

did it spark joy?
On the Ice
Country
China
I got all the podiums I could have realistically hoped for, although I wished that Sui/Han would have won and that Javier would have placed in front of Uno. I was surprisingly happy about Team Canada's OGM since all their veterans came to give it all (Patrick, D/R, V/M) and so now D/R and Patrick are Olympic gold medalists as well!

(I'm just so glad Kaetlyn managed to basically skate clean after Gabby had a meltdown and all three American ladies fell don't mind me)

liv

Record Breaker
I think every podium was exactly as I wanted it to be, particularly the Gold medalists ... it's an odd feeling to be actually happy after an Olympics because everything ended as you hoped... (although some silver and bronzes could have switched a bit)

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I'm happy with all the podiums except men's, but that's because I had hoped that Nathan could put too solid programs together and get a medal. That's really my only disappointment.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Overall, it turned out much as I'd hoped. Number one, I don't have any major quibbles with the judging, at least placement wise, which is great.

For pairs, this was my dream podium. I didn't think it was going to happen after the SPs, so I was extra happy. Aliona and Bruno were stunning, and I was so thrilled for Meagan and Eric. And I'm glad they got the first quad throw landed at the Olympics. Also, the great sportsmanship all around was awesome.

For men, I was less invested here. Hanyu skated great, and I was happy for him given everything with his injury. And I'm so glad Javi got his Olympic medal.

For dance, I had hoped Madi and Zach good get the bronze, but I'm so absolutely thrilled about Tessa and Scott. My number one hope for the Olympics and it happened.

For ladies, I hoped Zhenya would pull it out, but I do think the result was fair. And again, so thrilled for Kaetlyn.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I got most of my hopes on the podium.

Except for pairs... :sad21: The Polka-dots didn't win the day...in fact they weren't even on the podium! I was totally devastated for T/M too - I even cried (how embarrassing!) However I was happy for all the medallists because they definitely put the programs out there, especially Aliona and Bruno.

I was hoping Javi would get silver or maybe even gold, but he was happy with his bronze and so am I :) I'm thrilled for Yuzu! He was the boss (although hearing Let's Get Crazy on the radio today made me wish he'd used that SP...I love that one!)

Ice Dance was the best podium for me, V/M getting their gold, and the ShibsSibs were on the podium, yaaaay!

In Ladies I was really pulling for Zhenya! I was sure she could do it too, but Alina is certainly worthy of gold, even when she made a mistake she was able to correct it, so kudos!

pearly

Record Breaker
I had my ideal podiums become realities in all of the disciplines except for ladies (perfect podium but the order wasn't what I wanted). I did not expect the Olympics to go so smoothly, considering the rough Grand Prix, but I was pleasantly surprised by all of the amazing performances.

^^What she said. I think this sums up the feelings for a lot of people.

My only tiny tweak is that I would have preferred it if Javi didn't pop that quad Sal and got silver, but the final order was fair.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
V/M won, Hanyu won and Kaetlyn got an olympic medal! In the end, the winners of all events had a perfect/near-perfect free and for most of them the short, as well.

Other than the Men’s Team SP, the athletes really showcased the best of FS to the world. I think the Korean audience also helped bring out the best of them.

I really enjoyed the team event actually. Canada, for example winning gold, IMO boosted the team’s confidence in the individual events for athletes (eg. Keegan, S/B) not part of the team who skated. M/H LP and their reactions is my favourite of the team event and also gave them a confidence boost for their IEs.

I gained a new respect for D/R as a team player and for their sportsmanship and grit. To do 4 programs in a few short days, with one of their best LP performances including a clean 4STh is really going out in style.

I think overall this OG has exceeded my expectations.

My predictions for men was purely based on how much I liked them so I kid you not when it turned out exactly how I wanted.

1. Yuzu - He's my fav son. I wanted him to win gold
2. Shoma - My 2nd smol son
3. Javi - Time for him to get a medal
4. Boyang - I love this guy
5. Nathan - When he flopped at the sp, I thought for sure he could end up maybe somewhere in the top 10 if tried to skate reasonably well for the lp. Who knew he would throw down 6 quads and launch back into 5th just as I wanted.

For ladies, I kinda knew from Euros that Alina would be the ogm and Kaetlyn's rankings throughout the Grand Prix led me to believe that she would be bronze.

As for pairs, I really wanted Sui/Han to win but Savchenko/Massot had a beautiful fs plus it was her 5th olympics. I would be equally happy if either team won, and I'm sorry to say this but I was kinda glad that Sui/Han weren't clean in their fp. Helped me settle with the fact that they got silver.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Pairs - I thought Savchenko/Massot, Tarasova/Morozov and Sui/Han would be on the podium. I didn't think S/M would be able to pull off the win, but clearly I was wrong there. Happily for me, I was wrong about D/R not being on the podium. I thought Yu/Zhang would finish much higher than they did. I also thought Peng/Jin would make the free. Moore-Towers/Marinaro ended up with a higher placement than I expected.

Dance - I predicted V/M, P/C and EITHER the Shibs or H/D on the podium, and of course we ended up with the Shibs in third. I hadn't even tried to guess who would win between V/M and P/C since it was so difficult to predict. I didn't expect Chock/Bates to be so low, but of course they probably wouldn't have been if it weren't for the mistake on the spin.

Men - I thought any three of Chen, Fernandez, Hanyu, Uno or Jin would make up the podium, but I was leaning toward Chen for the win and I was iffy about Fernandez given how he performed on the GP. I was surprised Hanyu could trounce his competition like that given the fact that he'd recently been injured and hadn't competed in several weeks. I thought that Chen and Rippon might end up placing higher than they did. I definitely wasn't expecting Chen to end up in 17th place after the short program!

Ladies - Thought it was going to be either Med or Zag, too close to call, but I predicted the bronze medalist inaccurately. I thought it would be Sotskova, Kostner or Miyahara, with Osmond only having an outside chance. I expected Bradie Tennell to place a little higher and Gabby Daleman, too, wasn't expecting her to melt down in the long program.

Danibellerika

Medalist
Men - I wanted Yuzu to win and I wanted Shoma on the podium. I would have liked Nate on the podium too, but I was fine with it being Javi. I would have been fine with a repeat of Helsinki's podium too. I wasn't sure if I would get my desired outcome due to Yuzu's injury, so that makes this victory all the sweeter. I am just really happy that the men's event was so well skated in general and that I got to be there.

Pairs - I am happy for Aliona and Bruno. I wouldn't have minded Sui/Han winning as I do like them, but part of me knows they can still aim for 2022 and with this being Aliona's 5th games...just give it to her already!! Not to mention they had an epic program that I appreciated even in the nosebleed seats. It was special.

Ice Dance - i just wanted the Shibs to medal so I got what I wanted. Didn't really care between the French and Canadians, but I wasn't surprised with the outcome, especially after the wardrobe malfunction.

Ladies - I wanted Satoko on the podium, but I'm glad she put out personal bests and finished a respectable 4th, especially after all she's dealt with. I wasn't even sure if she'd be able to go to these games. I think Med should have won but the writing was on the wall for this season so I am not surprised of the outcome. I wouldn't have minded Caro on the podium either, but I didn't think it would happen since she can be so hit and miss.

My predictions were Alina Zagitova for ladies, Sui and Han for pairs, and Papadakis and Cizeron for dance. I was one for three. In men's I couldn't make a prediction because I wasn't sure how Hanyu's injury situation would turn out.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Hey this reminds me... I blithely bookmarked some posts months ago...

I think... AVATAR CHANGE (AND PIE EATING) IS IN ORDER

:popcorn:

Okay, so who asked you, largeman, with an unusual over the top, memory recall ;). Yes, I still believe in Gabby, and know that if she did not have a strained ankle at Worlds, she def. would have a top 6 placement, if not a podium finish, as I predicted, and would do so again. I will gladly change my avatar as per my bet with SamS., in support of her!!!

Thanks largeman for keeping us honest, as a gentleman always needs to pay his debts. This one is for you SamS. and Gabby!