I still believe in Mao Asada. | Golden Skate

I still believe in Mao Asada.

Ambivalent

On the Ice
A positive thread for a change?

Yu-Na will always be my favourite but I firmly believe that Mao can win worlds and probably more if she continues to compete.

Her beautiful skate at Sochi - 8 triples, gorgeous artistry - was a skate for the ages.

If she wants to go for another Olympics she will be 27 by then, and you know what, why not? Arakawa was 26 when she won in 2006. Mao can if she's willing to.

Love her to bits and pieces.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Will Mao end up with the most World Championship wins out of all the ladies in the post-Torino era? :popcorn: I BELIEVE! I want to believe! Break that tie with Miki Ando and Yuna Kim! Make it 3, then 4, then 7!

Of course, Kostner could always make it a 4 way tie and complete her two full sets of Worlds medals. That would be all right too. Though of course 7-time World Champion Mao in 2018 is my preference by a narrow margin.

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
I also love Mao :love: and after that amazing FS at Sochi I really want her to win at Worlds, but I can't stop thinking she will mess up her SP, oh well I'll just be possitive :biggrin:

Great thread! I have always loved Mao and wished for the best for her, and I feel that she still has a lot of skating left in her, whether as a competitive skater or as an artistic pro. (Thank goodness she's Japanese, so there's plenty of scope for a pro career.) Here's hoping that Worlds is one of her great triumphs.

Matilda

Medalist
I was heartbroken for Mao after Sochi, and would absolutely love to see her win the Worlds! She has the technique and the artistry :love:

Mao continuing for another four years would be a huge gift to the sport!

usethis2

Medalist
I believe in her!

BTW, 3A isn't the only trademark of Mao. I rarely see anyone doing better 3Lo as a combo. It's such a difficult combo to pull off that it's usually seen by youngsters with pre-pube bodies in rare occasions, but Mao has maintained it in senior competitions.

japanice

Rinkside
" ... Arakawa was 26 when she won in 2006. Mao can if she's willing to."

This is incorrect ... Shizuka was 24 when she won the gold in Turin

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I believe in Mao too! Her free skate in Sochi was such a highlight for me. Hope she skates lights out @ Worlds!

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I believe in her!

BTW, 3A isn't the only trademark of Mao. I rarely see anyone doing better 3Lo as a combo. It's such a difficult combo to pull off that it's usually seen by youngsters with pre-pube bodies in rare occasions, but Mao has maintained it in senior competitions.
I always thought of her spirals (when they still did spirals) as one of her trademarks too - nobody of her generation did them better, in my opinion. So smooth, graceful, with beautiful form, and so stable.

Really hoping she can become the 1st lady to win 3 world championships under current rules :-D

And then keep going...! Add a few more records and "world firsts" to her already-huge list
eg.
-become the first in singles competition (Men or Ladies) to win 4 world championships under current rules
-break the record for most grand prix final wins (currently holds joint record with Slutskaya)
-break the record for most grand prix titles - she's currently 2nd (14) behind Slutskaya (17)

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
I always thought of her spirals (when they still did spirals) as one of her trademarks too - nobody of her generation did them better, in my opinion. So smooth, graceful, with beautiful form, and so stable.

I love them, her fan spiral especially.

noskates

Record Breaker
I know there are a lot of Carolina fans on here but I sincerely hope Mao stuns the crowd with a breathtaking short and free program and wins another World gold medal.

JayW

Final Flight
I know there are a lot of Carolina fans on here but I sincerely hope Mao stuns the crowd with a breathtaking short and free program and wins another World gold medal.

I am waiting for the moment that Mao delievered two clean programs and win withs a landslide! But if Caro wins as she performed two magic programs in OGM, I will be equally happy.

on_the_horizon

Rinkside
Congrats to Mao for her third win at the Worlds Championships! She was, is , and always will be the face of Asian figure skating at its best!

volk

Final Flight
After the win, can we officially say she's the best figure skater that came out of Japan?