Ice dance - the top 5 greatest teams of all time | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ice dance - the top 5 greatest teams of all time

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Do you mean Susanna Rahkamo and Petri Kokko? They were a unique team--always liked this exhibition program. (Sorry not the greatest video quality.)

Yes thank you! Like Olympia I loved this team and they are memorable. Shea and victor deserved far more medals than they won. I'm basing on pure talent. Not who won by cheating or waiting their turn.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I think we as in me also were conditioned by the results to equate medals with great skating.

I admit I am a bigger fan of simpler costumes and genuine emotion. I think an offshoot thread s warranted because there were so many couples from Russia that won medals and many were deserved. I notice the responses are largely in agreement.

I feel There were two great dance teams in the U.S. That were blocked. Punsalen and Swallow and for my money Roca and Sur were great as pros. Their Soi numbers are worth searching YouTube for.

When dirty stringy hair was artistic Rene and Roca were being hi lights of many an Soi show

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Subset question.

Russia ruled pairs and ice dance for years. Who are your top three Russian ice dancers of all time? Me? I really need to think. But with their medal haul this country has hardware and undeniable talent. Up until now who are the three best ever from Russia alone?

Oops I apologize I should have started a new topic rather than have posts like this. Maybe a mod can fix or advise what is kosher to do. Thanx.

Last edited:

Rossig

On the Ice
I feel There were two great dance teams in the U.S. That were blocked. Punsalen and Swallow and for my money Roca and Sur were great as pros
What about Blumberg and Seibert? I think it was a very good team, who was robbed of medal in Sarajevo olympics.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Subset question.

Russia ruled pairs and ice dance for years. Who are your top three Russian ice dancers of all time? Me? I really need to think. But with their medal haul this country has hardware and undeniable talent. Up until now who are the three best ever from Russia alone?

Oops I apologize I should have started a new topic rather than have posts like this. Maybe a mod can fix or advise what is kosher to do. Thanx.
Interesting question! I hope some posters can offer some insight, because I personally have a bit of a hole in terms of Russian ice dance (my three favourite teams are British, French, and Canadian).

I've seen videos of most of the famous Russian teams, but not enough to form any kind of opinion. Seems like people generally like Klimova/Ponomarenko (and respect Grishuk/Platov, whether they like them or not), while teams like Bestemianova/Bukin and Navka/Kostomarov don't get much love. I'd love to hear an ice dance expert compare the Russian teams and their strengths/weaknesses. :yes:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
top 5???? you gave us very few options.

Torwill/ Dean

Bestemionova/ Bukin

Klimova/Ponomarenko

Krylova/ Ovsyannikov they are my all time favorites

Grischuk/Platov

Usova/Zhulin

Anissina/Peizerat

Virtue/ Moir

I like the old teams, but this isn't the current teams's fault. I don't like what the "new system" did with the ice dance.

Last edited:

Johnm2786

Spectator
Torvill/Dean is like skating's Citizen Kane to me. I respect their huge influence but I don't really see it. To me, Virtue/Moir is the most natural and beautiful while Davis/White is the most thrilling and athletic. I miss these two couples terribly because the current crop is very boring to watch.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
In order of their appearance on the scene

Pakhamova & Gorskov

Torville & Dean

Duchesnay's

Davis & White and Virtue & Moir

Every one of those teams brought something new and memorable to dance, and I can instantly call to mind most of their programs, just by hearing a few bars of their music.

Honorable Mention:

Rahkamo & Kokko- a team with great, creative, memorable programs who were not as technically skilled as many of their competitors
Usova & Zhulin - beautiful extension, great personality on the ice, but perhaps a bit slow
Grishuk & Platov - very fast and very skilled technically, but I neither enjoyed nor remember many of their programs
Klimova & Ponomarenko - a team that managed to be beaten by Bestemaniova and Bukin for four years doing ballroom programs, and then in the next quad were beaten once by Usova & Zhulin, who had better CDs, and once by Duchesnays, who were more interesting and exciting. Yet somehow this team who seemed to have no vision of their own programs, other than their coachs' vision, tops many people's lists. Clearly, they were pretty and had great longevity.

anyanka

Record Breaker
1. Torvill / Dean - perfection
2. Virtue / Moir - artistic and effervescent
3. Davis / White - athletic and theatrical
4. Klimova / Ponomarenko - romantic and dramatic
5. Bourne / Kraatz - pure showmanship

HM: Anissina / Peizerat, Rakkamo / Kokko, Delobel / Schonfelder, Grishuk / Platov, Usova / Zhulin

cazzer

Spectator
How about the dance team that made ice dance acceptable to be in the Olympics in 1976? Pakhomova & Gorshkov.

Rossig

On the Ice
How about the dance team that made ice dance acceptable to be in the Olympics in 1976? Pakhomova & Gorshkov.
When it comes to Soviet/Russian teams I think they are the greatest.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
From past to present time

Torvill & Dean
Grishuk & Platov
Krylova & Ovsiannikov
Anissina & Peizerat
Davis & White

If I had to pick just one team, that would be Anissina & Peizerat. Of course I also thought that our own Rahkamo & Kokko were very good indeed.

Last edited:

Elen2702

Rinkside
These two couple my vavourite one. They make me crazy about ice dancing/

1- Grishuk/Platov 1- Virtue/Moir

actualrealliveanna

On the Ice
Davis and White are definitely at the top of my list for their theatricality... watching them skate is like watching a Broadway production!
My others are:
Torvill/Dean
Anissina/Piezerat
Virtue/Moir
Bourne/Kraatz

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Torvill / Dean
Virtue / Moir
Anissina / Peizerat
Usova / Zhulin
Delobel / Schoenfelder (love their inventiveness and the way they committed so fully to character, and their skating ability was very strong and pure as well; they were probably held back a bit by the new scoring system making things so much more technical right when they were reaching artistic maturity)

Last edited:

actualrealliveanna

On the Ice
Delobel / Schoenfelder (love their inventiveness and the way they committed so fully to character, and their skating ability was very strong and pure as well; they were probably held back a bit by the new scoring system making things so much more technical right when they were reaching artistic maturity)

completely forgot about Delobel/Schoenfelder. their "The Piano" FD is one of my faves.

Alextim

Rinkside
My top 5
1 Anissina Peizerat for emotion and beauty
2 Grishuk Platov for the mix between technic, speed and music choices
3 Torvill Dean for the history
4 Papadakis Cizeron because they are true dancers
5 Virtue Moir for technical virtuosity

Special mention for Delobel Schoenfelder, Davis White, the Duchesnay