If you believe, say a prayer to your Gods for forum members in harms way. | Golden Skate

If you believe, say a prayer to your Gods for forum members in harms way.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
The storms and fires ravanging the country have put many in harms way.... forum members are involved. Have good thoughts for them. :pray:
We are fine in Spokane county...at our house...hundreds have lost their homes and we have 2 dead....over 20,000 acres have gone up in flames....The fires continue to burn here.
Over 33 million acres in Canada alone.
The 500 AQI smoke levels have abated for now here...thankfully I have N100 masks....and MERV 13 filters taped to box fans. My AQI meter really helps me plan things.
This is when the fires were just starting on the 19th.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
The folks in the West and Canada have our thoughts prayers best wishes a million fold. We are well aware in the NE that it could happen here and are vigilant tho we have been “blessed” with the wettest July and (so far) August on record; we have our high alert dry times too. My BIL has family in Canada close to the affected area and is in constant touch. The human loss wildlife and land resource is staggering. I understand Native tribes used to practice controlled burns and one of my most vivid childhood memories in rural Illinois was controlled burning of the fields to prep for spring planting. Speaking of planting.. replant replace trees in affected areas as soon as possible.. Arborday Foundation and local government agencies offer advice about this on their websites.

On another note: I just learned that the blight affecting beech trees has reached the east coast from the Midwest this summer. I have 2 gigantic beeches one American one European that are in question. Will likely lose the former have hope for the latter. Both are 100 years old.. fire, pestilence, what the H is going on?! Cannot all be climate change..🙁

IMG_1604.jpeg
_storage_emulated_0_DCIM_Camera_20191211_075629.jpeg

icewhite

Record Breaker
The folks in the West and Canada have our thoughts prayers best wishes a million fold. We are well aware in the NE that it could happen here and are vigilant tho we have been “blessed” with the wettest July and (so far) August on record; we have our high alert dry times too. My BIL has family in Canada close to the affected area and is in constant touch. The human loss wildlife and land resource is staggering. I understand Native tribes used to practice controlled burns and one of my most vivid childhood memories in rural Illinois was controlled burning of the fields to prep for spring planting. Speaking of planting.. replant replace trees in affected areas as soon as possible.. Arborday Foundation and local government agencies offer advice about this on their websites.

On another note: I just learned that the blight affecting beech trees has reached the east coast from the Midwest this summer. I have 2 gigantic beeches one American one European that are in question. Will likely lose the former have hope for the latter. Both are 100 years old.. fire, pestilence, what the H is going on?! Cannot all be climate change..🙁

View attachment 6798View attachment 6799

Beautiful trees.

Climate change very much increases the probability of such events and sets the conditions. Then fires that are deliberately started find the "perfect" dry wood and land to spread. Of course other factors play a role, too. The sealing of ground, stream straigthening, drainage, monoculture forests that only aim to grow wood fast... let the probability of floods and fires grow and enhance their impact. Not sure what you mean by pestilence, but for instance the probability of animal-human transfers of diseases rises with closer contact of those. Trees are often weakened by stress due to heat and fast or unexpectedly changing conditions and are less resilient against diseases and vermins.

I'm not a believer, but yes, I'm sending my best wishes to everyone.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Prayers sent for all in the path of these terrible wildfires and flooding storms around the world. I ask that we find the wisdom to do what is needed to take care of our natural environment.

When I have had friends and forum members in the pathway of natural and unnatural danger I think of you and offer prayers for safety and wisdom to know when to escape if necessary.

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
Beautiful trees.

Climate change very much increases the probability of such events and sets the conditions. Then fires that are deliberately started find the "perfect" dry wood and land to spread. Of course other factors play a role, too. The sealing of ground, stream straigthening, drainage, monoculture forests that only aim to grow wood fast... let the probability of floods and fires grow and enhance their impact. Not sure what you mean by pestilence, but for instance the probability of animal-human transfers of diseases rises with closer contact of those. Trees are often weakened by stress due to heat and fast or unexpectedly changing conditions and are less resilient against diseases and vermins.

I'm not a believer, but yes, I'm sending my best wishes to everyone.
Pestilence… just my side biblical reference for blight; did not intend to confuse. Probably the word “blight” was enough. Caused by a nematode that lives in leaves, stores in buds to resurface in spring. It has everyone stumped.. Beech trees will likely go the way of the Elm and Chestnut. We will try spraying; my neighbor’s daughter is licensed for the job fingers crossed

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Dozens of wildfires are burning in Louisiana...one bigger than 15,000 acres. Meanwhile, Gatun lake, whose waters run the Panama Canal number one, has an unprecidented drop in water level....Canal 2 recycles some of its water....not 1. And they are not the only ones in drought....we are three inches behind in our yearly water year and that is in a semi arid climate of Spokane. My trees are dieing. elbkup's story about rural Illinois was interesting. I lived there for 40 years....Chicago area to Champaign Urbana....never saw a burning field till I moved out west where they burned them as a matter of course in Idaho and Oregon, ...a practice that I believe has been outlawed.

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
Dozens of wildfires are burning in Louisiana...one bigger than 15,000 acres. Meanwhile, Gatun lake, whose waters run the Panama Canal number one, has an unprecidented drop in water level....Canal 2 recycles some of its water....not 1. And they are not the only ones in drought....we are three inches behind in our yearly water year and that is in a semi arid climate of Spokane. My trees are dieing. elbkup's story about rural Illinois was interesting. I lived there for 40 years....Chicago area to Champaign Urbana....never saw a burning field till I moved out west where they burned them as a matter of course in Idaho and Oregon, ...a practice that I believe has been outlawed.
Father was born in Dupo IL
We lived in Brighton then moved to St. Louis MO