Ina Bauer R.I.P. | Golden Skate

Ina Bauer R.I.P.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I didn't realize she was still alive. Thank you, Ina, for the beautiful move you created. RIP.

TarAncalime

On the Ice
I didn't realize she was still alive. Thank you, Ina, for the beautiful move you created. RIP.

She remained very active in her home skating club in Krefeld all these years...choreographed the club shows and also worked on the ice with the skaters together with her husband behind the scenes. I can spot the Krefeld skaters at every event a mile...they have very beautiful edges when skating their programs :)

GF2445

Record Breaker
I love me a fantastic and long-held ina bauer.
Its sad that the maker of this move has passed away, however, her legacy will continue to go on in skating circles as this manoeuvre is a signature figure skating move.

Alba

Record Breaker
I agree with the above.
My favorite move as well, and one of the most beautiful moves in FS.
Her beautiful legacy will live forever.
RIP!

TarAncalime

On the Ice
Here is the song from the movie with Ina Bauer: "Kauf Dir einen bunten Luftballon"

The Movie was a remake from the 30s Revue "Der weiße Traum" by Geza von Chiffra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH9MshYVJ6k

It is not Ina Bauers's real voice. My skating mates from Krefeld on Facebook say she had a deep, smoky voice! ;-) They miss her coaching and good advice very much... the funeral ceremony will be very big. I find it sad that both the ISU and the German Skating Federation (DEU) still did not react on the obituary! :-(

Icey

Record Breaker
It is not Ina Bauers's real voice. My skating mates from Krefeld on Facebook say she had a deep, smoky voice! ;-) They miss her coaching and good advice very much... the funeral ceremony will be very big. I find it sad that both the ISU and the German Skating Federation (DEU) still did not react on the obituary! :-([/QUOTE]

I can't imagine that it has anything to do with this, but who knows: At 1960 Europeans, she was fourth after figures and then suddenly decided to withdraw from the competition. I haven't been able to find out why. Do you, perhaps, know?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Video of Ina Bauer performing an Ina Bauer was posted by Mathman in July 2014:

(ETA: MM's post cautions that patience might be necessary for the clip to load. Hope the link works for others who are interested. My weak-ish Internet connection apparently could not handle the loading, even after many, many minutes.)​

Here is Ina Bauer doing an Ina Bauer. :clap: :love:

This is from a 1961 romantic comedy titled (in German) "Buy a bright balloon" starring Ms. Bauer and movie-star handsome Austrian skier Toni Sailer. (Sailer won three gold medals at the 1956 Olympics.)

This link takes you to thumbnails from the movie. If you click on the picture it will take you to the (full length) movie starting at that place. To see her Ina Bauer, click on the third picture in the second row. The move comes at about 8:15.

You might have to be patient for the clip to load. :)

https://archive.org/movies/thumbnai...tenLuftballonEisrevuelustspielMitHeinzErhardt

I think the direct link to the correct clip is:

Mathman's post is from the "Ina Bauer move" thread (to which GS members contributed links to lots of favorite examples).

Thank you, MM. :bow:

Last edited:

TarAncalime

On the Ice
It is not Ina Bauers's real voice. My skating mates from Krefeld on Facebook say she had a deep, smoky voice! ;-) They miss her coaching and good advice very much... the funeral ceremony will be very big. I find it sad that both the ISU and the German Skating Federation (DEU) still did not react on the obituary! :-(

I can't imagine that it has anything to do with this, but who knows: At 1960 Europeans, she was fourth after figures and then suddenly decided to withdraw from the competition. I haven't been able to find out why. Do you, perhaps, know?[/QUOTE]

Yes I know that.

http://www.spiegel.de/spiegel/print/d-43063409.html

The SPIEGEL Magazine article basically told of a big scandal at the 1960s Europeans around Kilius/Bäumler and her former partner Ningel who should have won he Europeans but the judging was influenced unfairly at that competition (sounds quite familiar, doesnt it?) and one consequence was that Ina Bauer's father Carl withdrew his daughter from the competition because he feared that she would have had no chance to win this farce as Ina Bauer was constantly marked down in figures (they counted 60% of the total in a competation) in all competitions before. This is also the reason why the ISU still hasn't reacted to her death as they were responsible for the bad judging (even tolerating it) and threw Ina Bauer and her father (who was also her manager) basically out of competitions after that. Carl Bauer was a rich owner of the biggest fabric manufacture in Krefeld and was very influential and of course not very pleased to be treated like that by a sports organisation.

Last edited: