Interview with mothers of Samsonov, Shcherbakova, Trusova | Golden Skate

Interview with mothers of Samsonov, Shcherbakova, Trusova

moriel

Record Breaker
Not sure if this was posted here already but here you go just in case

Source: https://tass.ru/sport/6142411
Translated by me

Daniil Samsonov

Ekaterina, Danya's mother, brought her son to the rink as a baby, together with her six-year-old oldest daughter. At first, the kid played while the older children were training, then gradually he began to draw “tulips” and “circles” on the ice under the direction of Valery Meshkov, four-time champion of the USSR. “He did not treat Danya with kid gloves, he taught him to love figure skating,” Ekaterina said.

“Then we went to the Olympic reserve school N4, then to "Moskvich", and from there we came to the group of Eteri Georgievna. I remember the first viewing - Danya began to show all the best of what he knew. We were only trying triple salchow then. Daniel Markovich (Gleykhengauz, coach of the Tutberidze group - TASS note), with whom we had previously worked at "Moskvich", approached him and said: “Danya, we don't jump doubles here.”

Danya was ordered to jump a triple flip. “He went and jumped it, five times in a row. He really wanted to show -“ I am strong, you have to take me. ” Is he a child prodigy? I don’t know, maybe. But any result is the fruit of great work. And Eteri Georgievna proves it day after day. She is an ordinary person with ordinary emotions. "

Athletes of the Tutberidze group understand that special attention is paid to them, they catch any word on the fly. “We learn to communicate with the media, we understand the responsibility. For example, after the junior championship of Russia in Perm, articles with Dani’s quotation came out:“ It’s not my fault that I’m stronger than everyone else here. ” But I, and all people who know Danya understand that he couldn’t have said such a phrase — and his quotation was interpreted as it was quoted by the media later, ”the skater’s mother said.

"But such things cause a wave of negativity — does it mean that the boy is arrogant?" And he comes only to do what he can and never looks at his rivals, he goes for his skates. In such things, I see an explanation for the messed up skates of many children - this is pressure. We will learn to work with it, everything will come with experience, "- Ekaterina is sure.

By profession, Ekaterina is a hotel and business manager, although currently the mother of three children devotes her time to the family: “Now I am a housewife, our dad is a car mechanic. He takes a lot of pleasure in taking care of the car that we use to go training every day, it is not close. So the children get up early, and finish sleeping in the car."

"Do we think about the Olympics? At the moment, all that I am experiencing inside is for what he wants, strives and likes. And I will do everything for this. If he will come and throw his skates into the corner, I will understand. But I must provide him with the opportunity to realize his dream. "

Most parents wonder whether it is expensive to take the child to figure skating." “Probably not,” Ekaterina said. “Although there are clubs that are aimed specifically at making money, and, i think, it would be correct and fair to voice it at the beginning. And there are old style sport schools, those that work for the result, those that are about sports, not money. An athlete can earn money himself, everything depends on the results."

Anna Shcherbakova

Yulia, Anya Scherbakova’s mother, brought her daughter to figure skating at the age of 3.5 years. “Anya found herself on the ice together with the oldest sister — she didn’t know how to skate at all, there were four of them in the group. The coach had a lot of trouble with the little ones on the ice, and in the end Anya started to work with the older kids just off the ice. Then things worked out, and after some time, realizing that we started to “lose speed” a little, we thought about changes and decided to go to Eteri Georgievna, ” said Anna’s mother.

"We knew the results, we asked to join her group, although it was already the Olympic season, the level of the group was very serious. I was very worried - I thought that Tutberidze was some sort of godess, I was afraid to come up and talk. Only later we understood that she interacts with parents as equal, not haughtily. We are always present at training sessions, and this is welcomed by Eteri Georgievna. And if someone doesn’t want, they can also call the person. Is Tutberidze strict? I think that I am strict, and Eteri Georgievna is commonly more intelligent and kind than me" confessed Yulia. "Any parent, who wants a rational future for their child will not be soft. "

The first year with Tutberidze was very hard for Anya Shcherbakova: “Nothing worked. Although we saw - despite the Olympic season, she was given a lot of attention, but triple jumps were not working out. Off the ice, there were improvements, on the ice - no progress at all. And only at the beginning of the next the season, she has progressed, and quickly - she started jumping in November, and after a month and a half she skated with all the triples in the program, caught up with her peers, was selected for the championship of Moscow, Russia. It was a great success. "

Yulia almost never watches the competitions - for the first time ,she watched the free program at the Grand Prix final. Then she went to watch the free program at the championship of Russia. There was not even a thought in her head that her 14-year-old child could win the adult championship of Russia. And realizing that this is a fact, she did not experience euphoria. “I saw that my daughter skated cleanly, the rest was in the fog. When I realized that she won, I realized that now there should be more responsibility,” says Yulia.

Yulia Scherbakova is a geologist-crystallographer by education, graduated from Moscow State University, PhD. “Having given birth to a third child, I am now only taking care of the children. Our dad is a programmer physicist, he is engaged in online advertising, online publications. Is it expensive to train? When we came, skating costed ridiculous money, about 300 rubles [that was like 10-15 dollars - moriel]. Everything changed when figure skating became more popular, " says Shcherbakova.

Anya's family does not even think about the Olympic Games. Moreover, many in the Shcherbakova's family did not understand the girl’s desire to devote himself to figure skating, worrying about her education. “When at some point, Anya stopped having good results, we began to persuade her to quit all this,” Yulia admitted. “She cried and said, this is my life. Realizing this, we understood - in no case, we just have to help Anya to fulfill her dream, because she is not engaged in this for medals, this is her way, these are her victories and defeats. "

Parents of athletes are well aware that injuries in sports are an inevitable thing: "We had injuries and not one. There was a broken arm, which happened outside figure skating. There was a broken leg in training the day before departure to Japan, and my daughter suffered it courageously. And this injury did not make us doubt for a second about continuing in figure skating. Every parent begins to understand at this level - one cannot be ready for this, but injuries are inevitable. "

“Puberty? You can’t be ready for this either, it’s a physical, but also a psychological restructuring, and for everyone this process goes differently. You just need to understand that this is not something overwhelming, this is something that can be corrected. Anya will need show more character, "- said the mother of the athlete.

Alexandra Trusova

For fans of 14-year-old Sasha Trusova, it is not a secret - the idol of the athlete is Nathan Chen. He was 17th after the short program at the 2018 Olympic Games, and in the free, for the first time in the history of the Olympics, he performed six quad jumps and outscored the Japanese Olympic champion Yuzuru Hanyu, who was second in free, by almost 9 points. True, in the end, hewas only fifth.

“Strong is not the one who never fell, but the one who fell and got up. We try to think like this,” said Svetlana Trusova. “Nathan Chen knows how to take risks, this is Sasha's idol. She always wanted to jump quads like him.”

Sasha grew up on roller skates. "We lived in Volgograd for some time, we saw girls on the ice - and we were curious. Then we returned to Ryazan, where an Olympic skating rink was being built. At four, we gave Sasha roller skates, she lived in them - she ate, sat, did everything on roller skates. As you can see, it works. We walked only on skates - half the way on the rollers, half the way carrying them. And thenthe skating rink opened. "

Trusova's family has never had professional figure skaters; the only person related to professional sports is her father, involved in various kinds of martial arts: “We are always supporting active lifestyle, and I set up Sasha like this — sports, this is part of your life. Yes, its unpleasant for me to see when my child is upset. But these are motherly emotions. Sasha has it all clear, no lyrical stuff - she always needs to be where the best are, she needs to have someone to look up to. For her, Zhenya Medvedeva, a real workaholic, was a great example. "

"Sasha is always self-confident. Sometimes it seems to me that she hurts when she falls, but it turns out she doesn’t. But also the opposite happens. Sasha has a strong personality, probably she is even stronger than me. For me, as a mother who is responsible for her child , its sometimes hard. I think about it at night, but morning comes and everything becomes clear,” Svetlana said.

"Do I need to be a child prodigy in the Tutberidze group? I think not. I think you need talent and work ethics. You just need to know how to work, that's all. There are a lot of talented athletes now, but they don’t want to do anything," says Svetlana Trusova.

Orlov

Medalist
Thanks moriel! I always read your translations to learn idioms, like this "kid gloves" ("He did not treat Danya with kid gloves"). You are Russian-speaking and at the same time, as far as I understand, fluent in English. It is cool and your translations are always good.

But it seems to me and I can correct you :) I think when Sasha's mom said: "А потом открыли каток" (your translation: "And then we discovered the skating rink. ") right translation is "And then was skating rink opening." because it comes in context "...where an Olympic skating rink was being built."

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Anna’s mom on trying to persuade her to quit skating.

She cried and said, this is my life. Realizing this, we understood - in no case, we just have to help Anya to fulfill her dream, because she is not engaged in this for medals, this is her way, these are her victories and defeats. "

This is amazing!!

moriel

Record Breaker
Thanks moriel! I always read your translations to learn idioms, like this "kid gloves" ("He did not treat Danya with kid gloves"). You are Russian-speaking and at the same time, as far as I understand, fluent in English. It is cool and your translations are always good.

But it seems to me and I can correct you :) I think when Sasha's mom said: "А потом открыли каток" (your translation: "And then we discovered the skating rink. ") right translation is "And then was skating rink opening." because it comes in context "...where an Olympic skating rink was being built."

thank you =)
fixed, this is what you get for translating stuff at 1 am hehe

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
Is Tutberidze strict? I think that I am strict, and Eteri Georgievna is commonly more intelligent and kind than me"

Poor Anna :laugh:

Very interesting interview :thumbsup:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
That is an interesting interview indeed! I had no idea that Trusova had Nathan Chen as her idol, but makes sense given they're the ones who have pushed the technical limits more than any other skater in their respective discipline has... and, evidently, neither has any qualms with blowing everyone's mind and notions of what's actually possible. :laugh:

Also great to hear of Anna's resilience as well. :)

Roast Toast

Medalist
Daniel Markovich, with whom we had previously worked at "Moskvich", approached him and said: “Danya, we don't jump doubles here.”

IDK why this is making me laugh. He sounds like a Disney villain! I can just see him twirling his mustache. :laugh:

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Thank you for posting!

Hoping for a Nathan vs. Sasha quad battle someday very soon. :love:

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Or they should just do pairs and do SBS 4Z+3T and 4S, and throw quads (and maybe some easy lifts and twists and death spirals to round them out, lol). :biggrin:

I want to see this the minute Sasha turns 18. Like, someone find out what time she was born and have them start practicing an EX like this the minute after. :laugh:

Extra plot twist: Sasha throws Nathan. :laugh:

composer

On the Ice
I want to see this the minute Sasha turns 18. Like, someone find out what time she was born and have them start practicing an EX like this the minute after. :laugh:

Extra plot twist: Sasha throws Nathan. :laugh:

Who will they skate for?! Will it spark a new Cold War? Or a new era of peace and prosperity and zero drama for all? Oh the possibilities!!!!