IOC suspends Russian Olympic Committee | Golden Skate

IOC suspends Russian Olympic Committee

Status
Not open for further replies.

icewhite

Record Breaker
Hm, but is it not basically just a question of funding? That the ROC doesn't get any money from that pot anymore?
I think it's clear that Russia will not get to compete as Russia or ROC or whatever at the Olympics. The only chance for the athletes is neutral status.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Honestly, @icewhite I'm not sure of the practical implications for the current crop of Russian athletes... meaning "is this worse than it already is?"

But it does seem like an escalation of events for the IOC to basically say, "there is no Olympic Committee in Russia."

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
So the ROC decided to include annexed Ukrainian territories as part of their organisation?

Why now, I wonder? Would they have done it if the possibility of Olympic qualification through the Asian Games had panned out?

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
Hm, but is it not basically just a question of funding? That the ROC doesn't get any money from that pot anymore?
I think it's clear that Russia will not get to compete as Russia or ROC or whatever at the Olympics. The only chance for the athletes is neutral status.
Would any Russian athlete be wanting to compete as neutral now anyway, with the political climate as it is? Many can't already because of military connections. Or does this news mean it's a moot point now?

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I don't use twitter, but sounds like Russians are out for good pretty much from the international figure skating. Sucks, but what can you do.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The article posted by @4everchan answers some of the questions about the practical effects:

The new ban removes the right of the ROC to get funding from the Switzerland-based IOC, which is worth millions of dollars in each four-year Olympic funding cycle. Russian officials reportedly have been weighing legal action to access the money that was not being paid during the war.
The Russian Olympic Committee can challenge the IOC decision at the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Lausanne, Switzerland.

and

"The suspension of the national Olympic committee doesn't affect in any way the participation of independent athletes," IOC spokesman Mark Adams said at a news conference after the board meeting.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The article posted by @4everchan answers some of the questions about the practical effects:

The new ban removes the right of the ROC to get funding from the Switzerland-based IOC, which is worth millions of dollars in each four-year Olympic funding cycle. Russian officials reportedly have been weighing legal action to access the money that was not being paid during the war.
The Russian Olympic Committee can challenge the IOC decision at the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Lausanne, Switzerland.

and

"The suspension of the national Olympic committee doesn't affect in any way the participation of independent athletes," IOC spokesman Mark Adams said at a news conference after the board meeting.
do not forget
"[The IOC] reserves the right to decide about the participation of individual neutral athletes with a Russian passport in the Olympic Games Paris 2024 and the Olympic Winter Games Milano Cortina 2026 at the appropriate time," the IOC said.

macy

Record Breaker
wow. i really didn't think the IOC had it in them.

meaning if skaters competing under the Russian flag decided to no longer compete for Russia and were released as an individual athlete, not representing any country?

thatdarncat

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Not surprising decision, it was pretty stupid for ROC to try an included these territories that aren't recognised by most other countries, makes you wonder if Russia want to go to the Olympics. I guess the government told ROC to do this. I think its unfair of the IOC to leave the athletes not knowing whether they can compete in Paris.

icewhite

Record Breaker
Not surprising decision, it was pretty stupid for ROC to try an included these territories that aren't recognised by most other countries, makes you wonder if Russia want to go to the Olympics. I guess the government told ROC to do this. I think its unfair of the IOC to leave the athletes not knowing whether they can compete in Paris.

I agree, the IOC should clearly state now what the situation for Russian skaters will be as long as the war goes on. This "we will meet again in x months and re-evaluate" stuff is nonsense. It leaves the athletes hanging. The basic facts about this war are known and even though the military situation might change everything that matters to make a decision on whether they should be allowed to compete doesn't, so they are just biding their time and hope things will sort themselves out or the public opinion will swing in one or the other direction so they don't have to make a decision based on principles (whatever those may look like).
I doubt many of the skaters would actually break their ties with the Russian state if that's what's needed as long as the war lasts, but at least they would know and everyone could make a decision based on knowing the situation.

Edit: ah, and yeah, I think the sports ministry doesn't care about the athletes' interest, everything they do shows they only care about the Russian state. But the figure skating federation seems torn between that and the sportive interests of their athletes/ the sport itself, at least that's my impression.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I think the simplest explanation is probably the correct one. The IOC is trying desperately to find a way to include at least some Russian athletes into the Games in some form or other.

As you imply, the Russian Olympic Committee isn't making it easy for the IOC to do this, and I'm mystified as to why. It's not out of the realm of possibility that the ROC saying, "we're our own entity, under our own national flag, or we're not coming." I hate this situation for the athletes.

* Edited for accuracy.

Amei

Record Breaker

and

My take: this really isn't anything related to the athletes competing or signaling some 'yeah they aren't competing for a very long time', its more about the IOC not wanting to incur anymore debt they owe to the ROC.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
For those who read French or have a good translator.

The article talks about the reaction from Russian officials to the IOC decision to suspend ROC.
Pretty much, Russians are accusing the IOC to no longer serve everyone's interest but to be catering mostly towards the USA.
Alternative sportive events are being organized with BRICS countries and Shanghai cooperation organization countries, to be held one month before Paris's games.

noskates

Record Breaker
With my relatively uninformed opinion - would individual athletes be able to compete without that federation money?

icewhite

Record Breaker
With my relatively uninformed opinion - would individual athletes be able to compete without that federation money?

Well, some athletes do with no or hardly any support from their fed, but it is very difficult and usually the family pays for it... Crowdfunding is also used. Of course you can also give some lessons, make some money with sponsorships, influencer stuff, but it's very tough to do it at the same time to a degree which pays off.
Honestly I think no Russian athlete who is used to getting very solid financial support and help with everything will be willing to do this... unless they think it's their only chance to compete at the Olympics. It seems more likely they are trying to switch to another fed which is willing to pay for them - the way I understand it that's Samodelkina's problem, it's not that they won't let her compete for Kazakhstan, they are just not willing to pay her. (I don't want to spread any wrong rumours here, I could be totally wrong, that's just how I understood it.)
I got some vibes from Gumennik that he might have been thinking about how to do it... if required... but I still think he won't as long as he sees other possibilities.
The biggest problem, likely, is not the money, though, but things like facilities and a good coach. Otherwise they could just go to UAE or Türkiye, I would guess - these countries and others have already paid many other athletes in other sports to compete for them even if they had no personal ties whatsoever. But the question is always does Russia support or allow this move. First, do they release the skater, but then also, if they do, do they allow them access to the rinks, facilities and best coaches inside of Russia although that skater doesn't compete for them. With some they will, with others, likely not. And those skaters who actually decide to become "neutral", I would imagine Russia or at least some relevant people, would see them as traitors and not allow them to do that. And then it becomes a tough decision for the athletes many won't be ready to make, especially if they are so young and have their life and family in Russia and they can make money in shows etc.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And then it becomes a tough decision for the athletes many won't be ready to make, especially if they are so young and have their life and family in Russia and they can make money in shows etc.
Which could be a big point really, especially if their family scrimped and sacrificed for their skating.

Status
Not open for further replies.