ISU International Competitions 2023/24 announced | Golden Skate

ISU International Competitions 2023/24 announced

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Hang on a second. The venue of the Tayside Trophy is down as a "To Be Announced"?! 😲

Where else could the Tayside Trophy be other than Dundee?! :confused:

Unless, of course, there is a suitable ice rink in Perth, which is also on the River Tay, futher upstream from Dundee.

But, Dundee is the skating centre of Scotland. And it is the Dundee club that organises the event. I would be very surprised if it moved to somewhere else.

CaroLiza_fan

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So... TBD for Skate America... does it mean they are looking for alternative venue?
Hmm, it might be possible with a TBD. I wonder if there was enough backlash from how they announced the event and from holding it in Texas to make USFS look for a new venue. Hope this situation doesn't delay GP assignments...

Setting that issue aside, I'm really surprised and excited to see Autumn Classic coming to Los Angeles! It's only a long bus ride away from me and I've never been to a CS event before! I know I wrote a suggestion on this forum a while ago that there should be a North American CS on the West Coast. I'm glad someone has taken my suggestion this season! Can't wait to get more information on it, I'll probably go! 😁

Edit: Wait a second, the CS Autumn Classic is in Montreal and the non-CS Autumn Classic is in LA! Why did they have to give those two tournaments the same name? 🤦‍♀️ In any case, I still haven't seen a small tournament before, so I'm still looking forward to it!

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Hmm, it might be possible with a TBD. I wonder if there was enough backlash from how they announced the event and from holding it in Texas to make USFS look for a new venue. Hope this situation doesn't delay GP assignments...

Setting that issue aside, I'm really surprised and excited to see Autumn Classic coming to Los Angeles! It's only a long bus ride away from me and I've never been to a CS event before! I know I wrote a suggestion on this forum a while ago that there should be a North American CS on the West Coast. I'm glad someone has taken my suggestion this season! Can't wait to get more information on it, I'll probably go! 😁

Edit: Wait a second, the CS Autumn Classic is in Montreal and the non-CS Autumn Classic is in LA! Why did they have to give those two tournaments the same name? 🤦‍♀️ In any case, I still haven't seen a small tournament before, so I'm still looking forward to it!
Usually the USA version is called

U.S. International Figure Skating Classic​

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Usually the USA version is called

U.S. International Figure Skating Classic​

Yeah...it's rather surprising to see the name change, given that there are plenty of fans who would recognize it by its former name...

When I saw "Autumn Classic" and "Los Angeles" in the same row, I presumed the tournament had been moved to LA...I feel bad that I didn't spot the CS tournament earlier. :(

And as much as I am disappointed in the USFS, I somehow still want to see this and support skating on the West Coast...good grief

Last edited:
Country
Norway
I never even noticed that! :drama:

Well, if they don't use your avatar as the logo for the event, I'm protesting! :ot: :hijacked:

(I know, those emoticons don't really fit, but they were the nearest things to protest signs that I could find).

CaroLiza_fan

I´m sorry, they already picked the logo and it´s not my avatar. But on the bright side it´s Sonja :rock::rock::rock:

(Something other then that would be odd)

I think they used this photo as inspiration:

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=722415489890325

I´m sorry, they already picked the logo and it´s not my avatar. But on the bright side it´s Sonja :rock::rock::rock:

(Something other then that would be odd)

I think they used this photo as inspiration:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10159957554427386

Mmmm. Don't like the logo.

Anybody who wasn't familiar with the photo that it was based on would think it was just something that came out of a graphic designer's imagination. They wouldn't realise that it was actually Sonja.

I suppose there are probably copyright issues that prevented them using an actual photo of her.

It's a shame. It would have been nice to see Sonja in all her glory everywhere during the event.

CaroLiza_fan

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
It's a shame. It would have been nice to see Sonja in all her glory everywhere during the event.

CaroLiza_fan
I assume I am one of the older readers and posters on this forum. I believe my interest in figure skating arose because my parents took me to Sonja Henie movies in the 1940s. I don't remember when exactly, but within the last year, my brother, his wife, and I watched "Sun Valley Serenade" again and loved it (especially the Glenn Miller music).

So I am all in favor of @CaroLiza's comment😍🥰😘.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I assume I am one of the older readers and posters on this forum. I believe my interest in figure skating arose because my parents took me to Sonja Henie movies in the 1940s. I don't remember when exactly, but within the last year, my brother, his wife, and I watched "Sun Valley Serenade" again and loved it (especially the Glenn Miller music).

Come on, admit it. You're like me, wanting to see Sonja's legs! :p

I'm a little bit younger than you (I'm in my 30's), but since the start of the pandemic, I have become addicted to a channel that shows classic films and TV series. To the extent that I would say that over half of my TV viewing is in black and white.

Honestly, I don't like what gets made nowadays any more. Films are too flashy, and too reliant on special effects. At the expense of the telling of the story and the quality of the acting. It used to be that you could relate to the soaps, but not any more. They just lunge from one disaster or controversial subject to the next. I've been watching a couple of series that would probably be classed as early soaps, and although the stories are much simpler, they are funny and relatable. You don't get much of that in the soaps nowadays.

I recently watched both versions of the sci-fi series "V" back-to-back. I really enjoyed the 1980's version. But, I didn't enjoy the 2000's version. OK, so the fact that the re-make was moving at a slower pace than the original and ended up getting axed before it got to the meat of the story didn't help. But, even if it had continued to the end of the story, I don't think I would have enjoyed the re-make as much as the original. Although "V" is about an alien invasion, you could relate easily to the characters in the original version, be they human or alien. The same can't be said of the characters in the re-make. At least the original version had a comedy value, largely courtesy of Robert Englund's character, Willie. But there was no sign of any comedy in the re-make. The re-make was more intense, all about the action and drama and looking spectacular.

Anyway, I really hope that some of Sonja's films get shown at some stage. And I really hope for "Sun Valey Serenade" in particular. I saw some clips of it when watching "MASH" a few months ago, and it looked like it would be good. And you mentioning that it has Glenn Miller music in it just reinforces that desire to see it! I love his music!

I really was born in the wrong era!

CaroLiza_fan

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada

Apparently, they are now quietly selling tickets to members without going public, but the venue appears to be Allen still. I dunno know why they are so obtuse.

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Come on, admit it. You're like me, wanting to see Sonja's legs! :p

I'm a little bit younger than you (I'm in my 30's), but since the start of the pandemic, I have become addicted to a channel that shows classic films and TV series. To the extent that I would say that over half of my TV viewing is in black and white.
I actually was probably not that taken with Sonja's legs. She was an awfully cute girl though. When I got into my late teens and started following some figure skaters in the newspapers (such as Tenley Albright and Carol Heiss) I did notice that the figure skating girls were very pretty.

Re black and white movies: From my eighth year of schooling through my twelfth, I worked in a couple of movie theaters in my small home town. I started as an usher, then worked behind the candy counter, and finally worked as a projectionist. During those years I probably saw about 5 different movies every week with a lot in black and white. So I really have a trove of memories about old movies. I love that the Turner Classic Movie channel is on cable and shows a lot of those old movies.

I have a VHS tape of "Sun Valley Serenade" which I purchased quite a while ago. My brother found the movie on YouTube which is how we watched it recently. Glenn Miller and his whole band are featured in the movie with a movie star (John Payne) taking the part of his piano player. There is a ski sequence as well as skating in the movie. I have a soft spot for Sun Valley since I first went there in 1955 with my high school band. My home town was only about 150 miles away in Idaho. The last time I went to Sun Valley was in 2011 to watch one of my favorite skaters, Mirai Nagasu🤩😍, perform.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I actually was probably not that taken with Sonja's legs. She was an awfully cute girl though. When I got into my late teens and started following some figure skaters in the newspapers (such as Tenley Albright and Carol Heiss) I did notice that the figure skating girls were very pretty.

Yeah, you are probably too young to appreciate Sonja in that way. ;)

I didn't recognise Tenley's name, but I did recognise one of the pictures when I looked her up. I am more familiar with Carol, though.

Re black and white movies: From my eighth year of schooling through my twelfth, I worked in a couple of movie theaters in my small home town. I started as an usher, then worked behind the candy counter, and finally worked as a projectionist. During those years I probably saw about 5 different movies every week with a lot in black and white. So I really have a trove of memories about old movies. I love that the Turner Classic Movie channel is on cable and shows a lot of those old movies.

Wow. I am so jealous! Working in a cinéma in that era must have been a dream! And what an achievement to work your way up to being the projectionist. I am not sure I would want the responsibility of working the machinery, though. I've seen enough scenes in films where something goes wrong with the projector, and the audience get very angry and take it out on the poor staff. I hope that never happened to you.

The UK version of Turner Classic Movies used to be great. But, now it keeps showing the same films over and over again. And they are mostly Westerns, which aren't really my thing. The channel really is a shadow of it's former self, and a shadow of the American version.

Sony launched a classic film channel a few years ago, and it was good for a while until they too started showing the same things over and over again. Sony sold all their TV channels in the British Isles last year, and at the start of this year the new owners replaced the classic film channel with a channel showing romantic made-for-TV movies. :mad:

Thank goodness we still have one classic film channel which is very high quality, Talking Pictures TV.

I have a VHS tape of "Sun Valley Serenade" which I purchased quite a while ago. My brother found the movie on YouTube which is how we watched it recently. Glenn Miller and his whole band are featured in the movie with a movie star (John Payne) taking the part of his piano player. There is a ski sequence as well as skating in the movie. I have a soft spot for Sun Valley since I first went there in 1955 with my high school band. My home town was only about 150 miles away in Idaho. The last time I went to Sun Valley was in 2011 to watch one of my favorite skaters, Mirai Nagasu🤩😍, perform.

Thank you for the tip off that it is on YouTube. I hardly ever think of looking there for films. Probably because I assume that if somebody uploads a film, there will be a copyright claim put on it straight away like there is with music.

I didn't realise that Sun Valley is actually a real place until I read your post. I'm afraid the only ski resorts in North America that I am familiar with are the ones that host rounds of the World Cup, or have hosted the Olympics. But, I suppose it is the same for many people in North America when it comes to European ski resorts. Anyway, I looked it up, and I was intrigued when I saw that it has a "Bald Mountain". Needless to say, I instantly got a certain Mussorgsky tune stuck in my head! :biggrin: (Not that I am complaining! ;) )

I loved Mirai too. But, I do tend to have a soft spot for the Japanese and people with Japanese heritage. It must be so special to see your favourite skaters performing in real life. I have only seen one of my favourite skaters in real life, but she wasn't on the ice at the time. And she's retired now, so I won't see her performing. But. I'm so happy just to have met her.

Sorry everybody for taking the thread off track.

CaroLiza_fan

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada

Similar generation, maybe a few years later. Figure skating exploded in interest in Canada in the late 1940s because of Barbara Ann Scott, with new arenas built everywhere. I went to a birthday party at the Scott-era Kerrisdale Arena in Vancouver, borrowed skates from my Highland dance teacher's daughter, and happily twirled and jumped (on two feet). I wondered why people kept sitting on the ice when it was so cold! I'd also been taken to Sonja Henie movies like you, and we'd been to Ice Cycles the week before. Nobody fell down in the movies or the show, and I didn't know that was supposed to happen the first time you were on the ice. So I didn't. :)

I'm surprised there wasn't already a competition named for Henie in Norway. I would hope the trophy for the national ladies' champion would be something like the Sonja Henie Cup.