ISU International Competitions 2023/24 announced | Page 2 | Golden Skate

ISU International Competitions 2023/24 announced

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Hang on a second. The venue of the Tayside Trophy is down as a "To Be Announced"?! 😲

Where else could the Tayside Trophy be other than Dundee?! :confused:

Unless, of course, there is a suitable ice rink in Perth, which is also on the River Tay, futher upstream from Dundee.

But, Dundee is the skating centre of Scotland. And it is the Dundee club that organises the event. I would be very surprised if it moved to somewhere else.

CaroLiza_fan
I have a cousin in Dundee whose granddaughter skates. I'll ask her if there's anything else going on like arena renovations. I know she had some trouble earlier this year with one of the public buildings work impeding her wheelchair, but I don't know if the arena is scheduled for the same.

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Does anyone know when the skater allocations for the Grand Prix events are announced? It's usually June, isn't it?

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I have a cousin in Dundee whose granddaughter skates. I'll ask her if there's anything else going on like arena renovations. I know she had some trouble earlier this year with one of the public buildings work impeding her wheelchair, but I don't know if the arena is scheduled for the same.

Thank you for your kind offer, Diana. Somebody who uses the rink would hopefully know more than us online.

All I know is that the Dundee Open and the Irish Championships are due to be held in Dundee this month (they start on Saturday 17th). But I don't know anything about what is happening at the rink beyond that.

I had a look at the events calendar on the Fed's website, and I think you might be onto something. The list goes up to January 2024 and, although there are a healthy number of events being held in Scotland, none of them are in Dundee. Which seems strange. I hope that the explanation does turn out to be renovations. Because I wouldn't want to think that the rink is having financial problems or anything.

CaroLiza_fan

Sackie

Medalist
With so many choices for events let's hope Canada sends out more skaters/Teams then they did last year. We have some up and coming pairs and ladies that need to get out there more. Some that need to get their mins just in case. And with things wide open in men's it would be nice if they sent out more then just the top contenders. I mean you would have predicted Matthew and Beres would be in the top 4 after the short and have a chance at medaling, and both beating Roman overall.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Thank you for your kind offer, Diana. Somebody who uses the rink would hopefully know more than us online.

All I know is that the Dundee Open and the Irish Championships are due to be held in Dundee this month (they start on Saturday 17th). But I don't know anything about what is happening at the rink beyond that.

I had a look at the events calendar on the Fed's website, and I think you might be onto something. The list goes up to January 2024 and, although there are a healthy number of events being held in Scotland, none of them are in Dundee. Which seems strange. I hope that the explanation does turn out to be renovations. Because I wouldn't want to think that the rink is having financial problems or anything.

CaroLiza_fan
All I've heard so far is that when my cousin asked her granddaughter's coach, the woman looked puzzled and said she hadn't heard about any usual annual events being cancelled. The arena's own website has not been updated for anything beyond, I think, this month, at least when I looked myself yesterday. This may just mean the website is handled by someone who has "update website" on their To Do list, but hasn't done it yet. :scratch2::shrug: If she learns more, I'll pass it on here.