Jason Brown does not plan quad for Worlds | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown does not plan quad for Worlds

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
What a difference a costume makes! I am not sure that this performance of his FS was his best, but the costume made the whole effect seem less like high school theatricals. Wonderful!

I am hoping that team Brown applies the breakthrough he and Kori had over his axel approach--i.e. that he needs transitions going into it to make it more consistent :laugh2: --to his quad. In which case, his transitions mark will still be great.

However, like the 'tano ma tron Russian junior ladies, people are sure to say that since it is a technique, it is not a transition :laugh: I think.

Anyway, however he places, Jason never disappoints me. I am just thrilled for him. And quad or no quad, finishing 4th in your first Worlds while having to skate last is a dynamite result for anyone in the men's division. :cheer2: Jason. :cheer:

On to World team trophy, I hope!

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
Doris - YES the costume was soooooooooo much better, more mature, and just perfect. I hated his last one - it looked like he was wearing UGG boots.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I guess I'm the only person on the planet who kind of liked the yellow pants (tho not the boot covers). The new look is definitely sleeker but the black is so sombre

bwayrose7

On the Ice
The old costume made him look like he was going to grab a bow and arrow and storm Sherwood Forest. This is much better- not that it matters much unless he plans to keep his free for next season.

Weathergal

Medalist
Anyway, however he places, Jason never disappoints me. I am just thrilled for him. And quad or no quad, finishing 4th in your first Worlds while having to skate last is a dynamite result for anyone in the men's division. :cheer2: Jason. :cheer:

I feel exactly the same way!

I think it was his best performance of this program (that part we might not agree on). As I said in another thread, there was a certain maturity in this performance that I hadn't seen before. (Perhaps the darker costume helped--haha!) But seriously there was something about this performance that really drew me in.

The old costume made him look like he was going to grab a bow and arrow and storm Sherwood Forest.

:laugh2:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I guess I'm the only person on the planet who kind of liked the yellow pants (tho not the boot covers). The new look is definitely sleeker but the black is so sombre

The old costume made him look like a peasant footsoldier. The new one makes him look more like a noble knight, which is exactly what Tristan is supposed to be.

andyjo24

Medalist
Jason did very well at his first Worlds without a quad, but he will need the quad in the future if he ever wants to medal (4th place is great, but there's no medal...).

I hope he really works his butt off on the quad this summer, as all his other qualities (transitions, consistency, etc) will put him up there with the top dogs when he masters the quad.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
The old costume made him look like a peasant footsoldier. The new one makes him look more like a noble knight, which is exactly what Tristan is supposed to be.

I understand why people didn't like it. I just happened to like it, sans boot covers, myself. As to how Tristan "should" be portrayed, it really depends on the production concept:

Image from http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bb/Leighton-Tristan_and_Isolde-1902.jpg

Image from http://www.lasplash.com/uploads//3/Tristan_Und_Isolde-Review-1.jpg

Image from http://www.oper-stuttgart.com/images/tristan/30403/tristan__hpo_101.jpg

Image from http://www.artsjournal.com/plainenglish/tristan_und_isolde321-lr.jpg

Some of them are kind of horrifying, I agree. But as you can see, Jason's original costme is not that far off costumes done by other designers. ;)

phaeljones

On the Ice
Jason made the correct decision this year, but the results of this year, although he finished fourth might also be a message that the scenery is going to be changing and he has to change with it. His program this year at Worlds, and his skating it was my favorite to watch, but his free was bettered in score by an up-and-comer 16 year old (who is working like the dickens to develop his technical and who will be adding different and more quads, and has the talent and the coaching to more than make that happen). Rightly or wrongly, it is what it is. And the other skaters of that kid's wave (Ona, Yamamoto, Pikeev, Boyang, Petrov, Chen) are going to pushing the envelope for the other senior skaters maybe sooner than later. (My guess is that the effect of that talent will be felt big time on the senior level within two years and it will be a bigger shake-up to the hierarchy than was Hanyu's presence at 2012 Worlds.) As well, the other senior skaters are not standing still in their abilities. In (short) time, Jason has to up his technical difficulty, and get that quad (maybe even two some day) or he is never going to crack podium at worlds. It will get farther and farther away. If he doesn't, it will be not much of a loss because his skating is and always will be a rich experience to always watch. But I would love to see him on the podium at worlds some day and, gone now are the days, when he can continue to skate quad-less.

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Jason made the correct decision this year, but the results of this year, although he finished fourth might also be a message that the scenery is going to be changing and he has to change with it. His program this year at Worlds, and his skating it was my favorite to watch, but his free was bettered in score by an up-and-comer 16 year old (who is working like the dickens to develop his technical and who will be adding different and more quads, and has the talent and the coaching to more than make that happen). Rightly or wrongly, it is what it is. And the other skaters of that kid's wave (Ona, Yamamoto, Pikeev, Boyang, Petrov, Chen) are going to pushing the envelope for the other senior skaters maybe sooner than later. (My guess is that the effect of that talent will be felt big time on the senior level within two years and it will be a bigger shake-up to the hierarchy than was Hanyu's presence at 2012 Worlds.) As well, the other senior skaters are not standing still in their abilities. In (short) time, Jason has to up his technical difficulty, and get that quad (maybe even two some day) or he is never going to crack podium at worlds. It will get farther and farther away. If he doesn't, it will be not much of a loss because his skating is and always will be a rich experience to always watch. But I would love to see him on the podium at worlds some day and, gone now are the days, when he can continue to skate quad-less.

I don't think anyone disagrees that Jason needs to up his technical. He and his team know this, and I'm sure they'll be focussing on it. With respect to Worlds, though, Jason scored lower than Nam in the FS because his 2d 3A was downgraded and he got negative GOE. While he often gets called for an < on that jump, he rarely gets a downgrade. Remember that he was skating last, under a lot of pressure. Had he simply fully rotated the 3A and got 0 GOE, his TES would have been 86.52, or just less than 2 points lower than Nam's TES of 88.28, which included 12.07 points for a 4S. And his total FS score would have been 171.42, about 6 points higher than Nam's and less than 5 points behind Hanyu. Yes, Hanyu's score was lower than normal, but honestly, save that that one error, Jason scored extremely well. Even more important, the audience loved him.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
In (short) time, Jason has to up his technical difficulty, and get that quad (maybe even two some day) or he is never going to crack podium at worlds.

I did want to respond to this that he has mentioned that he is working on both the quad tow and the quad salchow daily. So he and his team already know better than to stop and one quad. He has alluded to his goal being to have two quads for the next Olympic season.

Point is, they are looking forward, they likely started looking forward far before we all did.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kori impressed me with changing Jason's entry into the 3axel so he doesn't have time to stalk it and instead just does it without thinking about it to much. Was it me or did Jason also look faster then normal?

noskates

Record Breaker
It's not brain surgery to think that Kori isn't fully aware of what Jason needs to do to continue competing and winning on the elite level. Not so sure why so many posters are constantly second-guessing her and assuming they're blissfully cruising along on his artistry. They've both gone on record stating they have always aimed for the 2018 season for him to peak. I'm sure his success last year and this year were happy surprises for Jason's whole team. That being said, they are not going to rush him into anything. So far the plan has been very successful and I expect it to continue to be successful. But to assume they aren't completely aware that he needs a quad or two is foolish.

Icey

Record Breaker
Even if Jason had done a quad in both the long and short programs, he probably would not have been able to close the 20 point gap between his score and that of the bronze medalist. So how can he close such a gap?
Well, of course, his triple axel has to be nearly foolproof and high quality, which it isn't. In the long, his solo triple axel was downgraded and he only got 0.43 GOE for the one he did in combination. As I recall that was a 3/2. A 3/3 would help him . I find it odd reading that Kori has performed a "miracle" with the axel. What actually happened, hardly seems like a miracle imo. Since the vast majority of men got negative goes on attempted quads, maybe Jason should just go ahead and attempt them too, even if they aren't executed well.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Even if Jason had done a quad in both the long and short programs, he probably would not have been able to close the 20 point gap between his score and that of the bronze medalist. So how can he close such a gap?
Well, of course, his triple axel has to be nearly foolproof and high quality, which it isn't. In the long, his solo triple axel was downgraded and he only got 0.43 GOE for the one he did in combination. As I recall that was a 3/2. A 3/3 would help him . I find it odd reading that Kori has performed a "miracle" with the axel. What actually happened, hardly seems like a miracle imo. Since the vast majority of men got negative goes on attempted quads, maybe Jason should just go ahead and attempt them too, even if they aren't executed well.

IMO it's only worth putting the quad if he can rotate it fully. With regard to the 3a, he got 1.14 GOE in the SP. Stellar GOE? No, but it's worth remembering that this is the first time he ever performed the new entry in competition. And also worth remembering that he skated last for the FS, long after the warm up, and under enormous pressure to place well. So not surprising that his problem element was weak despite the change. In short, I don't think it's fair to judge the success of the new entry yet.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'll be interested to see what Jason does for jumps and how he does them at World Team Trophy, if USA chooses him to go :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

You seem to neglect the 1.14 GOE he got for the 3A in the SP. And no one said it was a miracle, just that Jason and Kori did a good job on working on a new entry in such a short time.

Also his 3f-3t is far better than his 3a-3t, which is why they opted for that combination.

Also we saw in 4CC what happens with quad that was not ready. Or what happens to the other guys when they miss quads and affects the rest of the program.

Last edited:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I'm impressed. He must be really happy to have managed the 4th place. I wouldn't have predicted that. Great performances and I fully agree with his coach's plan.

Just curious... has anyone ever reported seen Jason land a clean quad in practice or in a small competiton?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm impressed. He must be really happy to have managed the 4th place. I wouldn't have predicted that. Great performances and I fully agree with his coach's plan.

Just curious... has anyone ever reported seen Jason land a clean quad in practice or in a small competiton?

No clean quad sighting that I know of.

And also Jason played spoiler for many of the players of thr GS prediction game I'd imagine. :laugh: