Jason Brown making progress on quads | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown making progress on quads

TMC

Record Breaker
Yeah, I don't really see why Kori's comments should be interpreted as meaning more than what she said. All she talked about was Jason's placement. She didn't mention the other US guys. Unless you want to read it that way...

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Good grief, Golden. Why are you on such a tirade? Jason might have got fourth. OK. He might have got fifth. OK. There, I said it.

Go Grant Hochstein.

Woo-hoo, first time (IIRC) that I have been accused of being on a tirade :dance2:.

FWIW, I do not think that I am on one. Ultimately, this discussion is of interest to me for the following reason:

If these particular words of Jason's coach are rubbing me (as a fan of both Jason's and Kori's) the wrong way, I wonder how they are coming across to all the powers that be at USFS?
If Kori wants to strengthen support at USFS for a skater (as any coach would), I wonder how effectively (or not) this particular quote is serving that purpose??
I obviously do not know the answer. Neither do you nor anyone else in this thread ... unless any USFS officials are here anonymously.

Go, Jason :yay:. (Who also might have gotten sixth or seventh or eighth or ninth or ... ;))

I'm out.

Last edited:

Sydney Rose

Final Flight
Woo-hoo, first time (IIRC) that I have been accused of being on a tirade :dance2:.

FWIW, I do not think that I am on one. Ultimately, this discussion is of interest to me for the following reason:

If these particular words of Jason's coach are rubbing me (as a fan of both Jason's and Kori's) the wrong way, I wonder how they are coming across to all the powers that be at USFS?
If Kori wants to strengthen support at USFS for a skater (as any coach would), I wonder how effectively (or not) this particular quote is serving that purpose??
I obviously do not know the answer. Neither do you nor anyone else in this thread ... unless any USFS officials are here anonymously.

Go, Jason :yay:. (Who also might have gotten sixth or seventh or eighth or ninth or ... ;))

I'm out.

How sad that someone trying to have a discussion about the most interesting part of this article is accused of going on a tirade. :(

So what do the powers that be at USFS think of Kori's comment? Probably something along the lines of "put up or shut up" Kori. And I'm guessing many of her fellow coaches are thinking the same thing.

This hasn't exactly been a banner year for Kori. Jason got injured and was out for most of the season, Tyler Pierce dumped her, and Mariah Bell went pretty much nowhere. Tech coach Vincent left her too.

Worst of all, men's skating turned into a quad fest seemingly overnight. And Jason has no reliable quads yet.

Kori has always struck me as very ambitious (like Tom Z) and now things aren't working out as she envisioned. Understandable that she's sounding a bit bitter but snarky remarks about not bucking the system won't help her situation.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OK, sorry, gotta chime in. Off season, gotta do something....

The *last* thing I thought Kori sounded in that quote was bitter or snarky. Lord have mercy, has anyone listed to some of Rafael A.'s comments? The man invented snide and snark. And talk about overreacting in support of your skater, the way he ran around after Nats? But he is a coach and he is doing his job, and God bless him, go do it. And so is Kori.

Skating didn't turn into a quad fest over night :confused:it's always been one, and Jason has been bucking the trend (thank heavens) for a long time. And the gist of the posts in this thread is that most of us will enjoy his skating anyway.

More quotes please, Mrs. P:clapper:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
FWIW: Frank Carroll made some comments in 2011 to Phil Hersh (http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com...chael-flatt-injuury-world-figure-skating.html) regarding how Mirai would have placed if she had been sent (i.e. Rachael Flatt would have withdrawn and disclosed her injury) to the 2011 Worlds:

I remember that comment of Frank's, which surprised me. He'd already been the revered, "legendary" coach for years by that time and fresh off Lysacek's Olympic gold, so few would have said anything was amiss, but I was a bit shocked. And maybe I'm mistaken, but (being an Evan L. fan), I thought he'd as much as said he competed at Vancouver with a freshly/nearly healed stress fracture, and that was part of his decision not to attempt a quad toe. It was the toes that bothered his foot. I'm sure someone will let me know if I've misremembered or misinterpreted.

I would Love to see the rest of your notes for the article. The more in-depth and the longer an article is, the better! I realize that's just me. :)

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
There was a few things I was not able to include in the story due to space -- I felt the story was pretty long as it is :laugh: -- I'd be glad to note those things here, if people would like.

Yes, please Mrs. P. :bow:

Perhaps you can provide us with an update or two every day like Jason is doing on his birthright trip. ;)

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How sad that someone trying to have a discussion about the most interesting part of this article is accused of going on a tirade. :(

So what do the powers that be at USFS think of Kori's comment? Probably something along the lines of "put up or shut up" Kori. And I'm guessing many of her fellow coaches are thinking the same thing.

This hasn't exactly been a banner year for Kori. Jason got injured and was out for most of the season, Tyler Pierce dumped her, and Mariah Bell went pretty much nowhere. Tech coach Vincent left her too.

Worst of all, men's skating turned into a quad fest seemingly overnight. And Jason has no reliable quads yet.

Kori has always struck me as very ambitious (like Tom Z) and now things aren't working out as she envisioned. Understandable that she's sounding a bit bitter but snarky remarks about not bucking the system won't help her situation.

Kori's remark didn't sound snarky to me. I "heard" it the way I hear pretty much all her comments: as straightforward and truthful. She's talking about her feelings.

“When I look at the scores and I know the way Jason could compete, I feel like he could’ve held on to that fourth place spot,” she said. “I’m a little bummed, but I’m not here to buck the system.”

I suppose for some, the most interesting part of an article may be the most controversial. Not for me. I'm fascinated by Kori's assessment of how Jason's having to go through physical therapy actually strengthened his body awareness and changed his power-to-weight ratio for the better. Making lemonade. And I think it's true: when one has to learn better isolate one's muscles, it can be a positive benefit.

So what do the powers that be at USFS think of Kori's comment?

Frankly, I don't care what the powers that be at USFS think of Kori's comment. It's a free country -- think what you want.

I do care about whether skaters and coaches will want to do candid interviews with Golden Skate's reporters in the future.

mrrice

Record Breaker
That injury of Jason makes me wonder whether it's not correlated to him doing layback spins that put excessive stress on his back. Plushenko also has similar problems.

I was just about to say the same thing . Plushy used to that Biellmann Spin and I couldn't believe he never popped his hip-flexor or had a serious back injury.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Frankly, I don't care what the powers that be at USFS think of Kori's comment. It's a free country -- think what you want.

I do care about whether skaters and coaches will want to do candid interviews with Golden Skate's reporters in the future.

Here's the thing about Kori's comments. They're honest and if that's the way she feels, it's the way she feels. I would also like to know about when and where this interview took place. Remember Eteri's interviews?? Sometimes you are not in the mood for these interviews and as professional as you may be, your mind may be somewhere else. She might still be upset over the fact Jason didn't get to go to Worlds. It's perfectly understandable.

I realize that rules are rules, but we've all seen rules change over the years and this is usually how the process begins.

caitie

Medalist
By the time GS's members get Jason to act less goofy, change his voice, cut his hair, wear simple costumes, and do umpteen quads, we'll all be watching a completely different skater. There are plenty of skaters who aren't Jason. Why ask him to change the stuff that makes him such a distinct personality on and off the ice? IDGI.

TMC

Record Breaker
By the time GS's members get Jason to act less goofy, change his voice, cut his hair, wear simple costumes, and do umpteen quads, we'll all be watching a completely different skater. There are plenty of skaters who aren't Jason. Why ask him to change the stuff that makes him such a distinct personality on and off the ice? IDGI.

:agree:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

That will just be the mature version of Jason Brown he will evolve into without all the urging, hopefully with the quads and some major international medals.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Let Jason be Jason! :love: BTW, he's currently in Israel for his Birthright trip. He's posting pics on his FB & Twitter accounts. Looks like he's having the time of his life! :biggrin:

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
For Jason, I think a trip to the grocery store could be the time of his life ;) But yes, it looks like he's having a blast.

I wonder how having the programs earlier this year will impact his performance at summer competitions. We're used to seeing him look fairly rough there so it will be interesting to see if this year is different.