Jason Brown | Page 208 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Could anyone help me understand why Jason didn't do a triple jump instead of the two double axels as his last jump for the FS?

Because he did not have any triples left that he was allowed to do. Any that he would have attempted/landed would have been worth zero. Eight is the max number of triples you can do. The 2A is the next highest value jump.

This is part of why so many people say he *needs* a quad. In the long he could replace a jump worth 3.3 with one worth 10.3 or more and there is nothing left to replace it with.

And I (and I am sure many others) are happy to be give a more technical/detailed explanation if you want, i just try to not overwhelm on the first response.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Because he did not have any triples left that he was allowed to do. Any that he would have attempted/landed would have been worth zero. Eight is the max number of triples you can do. The 2A is the next highest value jump.

This is part of why so many people say he *needs* a quad. In the long he could replace a jump worth 3.3 with one worth 10.3 or more and there is nothing left to replace it with.

And I (and I am sure many others) are happy to be give a more technical/detailed explanation if you want, i just try to not overwhelm on the first response.

I think you gave a concise and to the point explanation!

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
So Jason got SA (expected) and NHK. Looks like he is out for blood this year!

Also Mariah Bell got Skate America :rock:

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
So Jason got SA (expected) and NHK. Looks like he is out for blood this year!

Also Mariah Bell got Skate America :rock:

Yeah! I had hoped Jason would get NHK as well as SA. :cheer:

Miyu Nakashio (who is spending the summer training with KoRo) also got Skate America.

TMC

Record Breaker
Based on the competition and my gut feeling I'm predicting a gold for Jason at SA and a silver/bronze at NHK :biggrin:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Based on the competition and my gut feeling I'm predicting a gold for Jason at SA and a silver/bronze at NHK :biggrin:

I don't think that theroy needs any tin foil hats! I think that is very realistic actually.

Really I just want him to make the final this year. I don't care if he has two golds or two bronzes, I just want to see him in Barcelona.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm a pessimist. SA looks harder than it seems: Denis Ten, Yan Han and Shoma Uno have beat him last season. Granted Jason has beaten all three at some point (Shoma only when they were juniors). Takahito Mura and Max Aaron could be factors as well. I think he could get gold OR finish of the podium.

NHK is interesting... Boyang Jin may spoil the party with his quad loaded programs (fwiw, Boyang beat Jason back in 2012 at up jpf, though that was when he had quads and triple axels and Jason didn't even have a 3a, lol). Yuzuru obviously is tough competition, not to mention domestic competition from Richard and Josh. Also Kovtun, Mura and Brezina are also factors. Again, could easily win silver or be off the podium.

Jason's path to GPF is no walk in the park....it will be interesting to see how he stacks up.

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I'm a pessimist. SA looks harder than it seems: Denis Ten, Yan Han and Shoma Uno have beat him last season. Granted Jason has beaten all three at some point (Shoma only when they were juniors). Takahito Mura and Max Aaron could be factors as well. I think he could get gold OR finish of the podium.

NHK is interesting... Boyang Jin may spoil the party with his quad loaded programs (fwiw, Boyang beat Jason back in 2012 at up jpf, though that was when he had quads and triple axels and Jason didn't even have a 3a, lol). Yuzuru obviously is tough competition, not to mention domestic competition from Richard and Josh. Also Kovtun, Mura and Brezina are also factors. Again, could easily win silver or be off the podium.

Jason's path to GPF is no walk in the park....it will be interesting to see how he stacks up.

I agree with this - both fields look quite tough to me and he could easily not medal in one or both. I don't think he can afford to make as many mistakes at SkAm this year as he did last year. But with his win at Nats and strong finishes at Worlds and WTT, I think he will be a much more confident competitor, and not being in Chicago will be less pressure.

I'm so curious about his free skate now! And also wondering why we haven't heard about Ice Network or whoever streaming Broadmoor open so we can see both programs and his jumps! ;)

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Looks like we'll have to wait until November to see Jason and Josh compete against each other at NHK. I wonder who will rank higher this time around? Of course they both have to compete against Yuzu, so I doubt either will grab gold, but who knows?

Mrs P looks like the GP assignments beat the arrival of your baby? Hope all goes well!

LRK

Record Breaker

I agree with this. Also, I like to keep my expectations... if not exactly "low", but perhaps "tempered" would be a better expression. (Also I'm always supersitiously wary of jinxing my Favourites. Accepting that Liza may very well win gold causes me Anxiety, for example - and I'm just not used to that situation anymore... Yeah, you see what I mean? "may very well" is probably as far as I can make myself go - and that isn't because I doubt her!) Especially as the "could win a medal or be off the podium" is true of the majority of the men's field, which is what makes predicting them so insanely hard.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree with this. Also, I like to keep my expectations... if not exactly "low", but perhaps "tempered" would be a better expression. (Also I'm always supersitiously wary of jinxing my Favourites. Accepting that Liza may very well win gold causes me Anxiety, for example - and I'm just not used to that situation anymore... Yeah, you see what I mean? "may very well" is probably as far as I can make myself go - and that isn't because I doubt her!) Especially as the "could win a medal or be off the podium" is true of the majority of the men's field, which is what makes predicting them so insanely hard.

You have no idea how anxious I can get for some skaters I like. I'm a bit more nervous for Jason after seeing the list, but I'm going to try to put my worries aside and be excited.

LRK

Record Breaker
You have no idea how anxious I can get for some skaters I like. I'm a bit more nervous for Jason after seeing the list, but I'm going to try to put my worries aside and be excited.

Oh, I can guess.;) Trust me, I'm a Plushy uber and a Brian fan... I know what being anxious is. In fact, after going through all those highs & lows (for various reasons) the last few years, my concern for other Favourites of mine feels rather... tame. ;) (Not that I'm complaining, mind you! And with Plushy coming back... well, this is the calm before the storm, I suppose.... ;))

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Woohoo! Josh and Jason round 2402846094860 at NHK!

And Skate America for Jason, no great surprise, they love him :love:. Be interesting to see how he goes up against "new" Max.

(Edited because I totally forgot I was in Jason's thread not Josh's :laugh:)

Last edited: