Jason Brown | Page 784 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

Ross74

Medalist
The things that jumped out at me right away from the Lilah interview.

- It was Brian who initiated the skate/blades change. And he stuck with it for 5 months!
- It was Brian who wanted the pony tail gone
- Everything leading up to 2018 Nationals
- Feeling at peace with a book in his hand! :agree: The bedtime routine and putting the phone aside for a book. :) Wish I could do the same.

Excellent interview!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Finished it, sooo interesting. And another great moment:

I knew that Jason had received a text confirming his selection to 2014 Oly team. I didn't know he had to keep it secret for a while. So his recounting of trying to explain away why he was crying after receiving the "secret text" was so cute:hap85:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Now I know why he is such a good dancer- all those family dance shows they put on. He has always been a dancer, perhaps even before he was really a skater.

Lilah Jo did a great job asking good questions.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I listened to the interview a second time yesterday. I was so impressed by how prepared she was, how in depth the interview was and what good rapport they had. It was a true bonding experience for both of them and as a result, the interview was fairly wide ranging but also very specific. I love that she has the common thread of the interview format, and that she asks for book recommendations and passes them on to the next interviewee. I am quite sure that Jason will read Piper's recommended book.

On another topic, related but separate, Toronto is apparently allowing ice rinks to reopen next week. This is not the normal time that the international skaters would be coming in for training, but nothing is normal now. I don't know what the border crossing rules are, nor who stayed in Toronto and who left other than Jason and Zhenya. But it opens the question of how Team Cricket will respond to the loosening of rules and whether skaters will start on ice training again. Toronto was not as hard hit as Montreal, for reasons I won't go into here, so the city is loosening up sooner. But it does open up the possibility that if things don't worsen, the skaters should be able to commence training by summer. Any international skaters will have to maintain a quarantine period, of course. But it is possible that Jason will return to Toronto when they allow him to travel across the border.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The agreement to shut the Canada/US border to all but essential travel runs out May 21. There are negotiations underway to extend it for another month.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coron...r-could-be-closed-for-another-month-1.4937528

If the agreement is extended to June 21, but rinks re-open much sooner, someone may try to get an exception made for the international skaters training in Canada. There would probably still be a requirement for a 14-day quarantine after they enter Canada before they can train.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
...But it does open up the possibility that if things don't worsen, the skaters should be able to commence training by summer. Any international skaters will have to maintain a quarantine period, of course. But it is possible that Jason will return to Toronto when they allow him to travel across the border.
Those arriving from other countries(regardless Canadian or not) will still need to quarantine 14 days right?
Thats how a lot of countries do it but I'm not sure abt Canada's rules/policies.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If I was Jason I'd be getting out of the US and into Canada as soon as possible, even if he has to do a full 14 days in isolation after arriving.

The situation in the US is not getting better and it's not likely to anytime soon, and it wouldn't surprise me if countries keep their borders closed to the US for much longer than other countries. He is safer in Canada and it will also mean he can go back to the ice as soon as it reopens, rather than being delayed behind other skaters. Of course the complication is that he'd have to be separated from his family. I assume he has a roommate in Toronto since on the podcast interview he mentioned never living alone, but I don't know if that roommate is also an overseas TCC skater or that there is someone there for him if he goes back.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Those arriving from other countries(regardless Canadian or not) will still need to quarantine 14 days right?
Thats how a lot of countries do it but I'm not sure abt Canada's rules/policies.

Yes, you quarantine unless you're a truck driver delivering vital loads like masks or auto parts or avocados. Also, people who cross the US/Can border for work can continue to do so, w/o quarantine.

Pretty much the only people coming into Canada are Canadians or returning permanent residents, and they're all self-quarantining. There was an absolute flood of "snowbirds" returning in March, but it's down to a trickle now. It's mostly people who couldn't return earlier because they were in countries that locked down, either their borders or internal travel, and the people were stuck.

They seem to be fairly strict about who they will let in.

There was a story about a pregnant Canadian woman who lives in New York who tried to come to Canada to wait out the pandemic in an apartment supplied by her parent (nice parent, who just happened to have a spare empty apartment, eh?). She would have been allowed in, even though she doesn't ordinarily live in Canada and wasn't moving here, but her husband, who has no status in Canada, was turned back. She decided not to come alone.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
If I was Jason I'd be getting out of the US and into Canada as soon as possible, even if he has to do a full 14 days in isolation after arriving.

The situation in the US is not getting better and it's not likely to anytime soon, and it wouldn't surprise me if countries keep their borders closed to the US for much longer than other countries. He is safer in Canada and it will also mean he can go back to the ice as soon as it reopens, rather than being delayed behind other skaters. Of course the complication is that he'd have to be separated from his family. I assume he has a roommate in Toronto since on the podcast interview he mentioned never living alone, but I don't know if that roommate is also an overseas TCC skater or that there is someone there for him if he goes back.

When Jason first moved to Canada, Brian announced that he would be living with a family. That could remain the same or change. He usually drove to the rink in his car and often picked up Zhenya. He does have the advantage of being able to drive to Toronto. But if the border is still closed, he will need approval from Immigration. That could take a while. June isn't an unreasonable prediction. I'm sure he'll go as soon as he is able. I agree that it will be safer for him to be in Canada at this time. Toronto seems to have handled things well. But no matter where you go, it is an unpredictable virus, so it's not super safe anywhere. He would definitely have to do the 14 day quarantine, so he might not be able to go back to where he lived before for those 2 weeks. I'm sure that Brian and Tracy will figure things out once he gets permission to re-enter.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Yes, you quarantine unless you're a truck driver delivering vital loads like masks or auto parts or avocados. Also, people who cross the US/Can border for work can continue to do so, w/o quarantine.

Pretty much the only people coming into Canada are Canadians or returning permanent residents, and they're all self-quarantining. There was an absolute flood of "snowbirds" returning in March, but it's down to a trickle now. It's mostly people who couldn't return earlier because they were in countries that locked down, either their borders or internal travel, and the people were stuck.

They seem to be fairly strict about who they will let in.

There was a story about a pregnant Canadian woman who lives in New York who tried to come to Canada to wait out the pandemic in an apartment supplied by her parent (nice parent, who just happened to have a spare empty apartment, eh?). She would have been allowed in, even though she doesn't ordinarily live in Canada and wasn't moving here, but her husband, who has no status in Canada, was turned back. She decided not to come alone.

I don't know what kind of visa Jason has for Canada. All of this is so unprecedented, it's hard to know how they'll handle skaters from other countries trying to get back in. Sensibly, but it's paperwork and takes time. He first moved to Canada in June, I think? If so his Visa might be up for renewal soon. That might expedite things....or not..... I don't know how it works.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I don't know what kind of visa Jason has for Canada. All of this is so unprecedented, it's hard to know how they'll handle skaters from other countries trying to get back in. Sensibly, but it's paperwork and takes time. He first moved to Canada in June, I think? If so his Visa might be up for renewal soon. That might expedite things....or not..... I don't know how it works.

The visa may matter to skaters returning, in the sense that they can't return unless they have a valid visa. But a valid visa isn't enough for the present rules: you have to be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. I doubt many of the international skaters are permanent residents: it is like a US green card and is usually held by people who intend to settle permanently in Canada. International skaters who moved here with their families and/or are representing Canada, would be most likely to try for permanent resident status. It's a step toward citizenship.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The visa may matter to skaters returning, in the sense that they can't return unless they have a valid visa. But a valid visa isn't enough for the present rules: you have to be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. I doubt many of the international skaters are permanent residents: it is like a US green card and is usually held by people who intend to settle permanently in Canada. International skaters who moved here with their families and/or are representing Canada, would be most likely to try for permanent resident status. It's a step toward citizenship.

My guess is that it will be on a case by case basis and that takes some time. We'll have to wait and see!

BTW I am listening to a very interesting podcast with Jordan Cowan. It's not about Jason, but it's about skating and worth a listen. https://audioboom.com/posts/7582564-episode-30-open-ice-with-jordan-cowan

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
Sorry to off topic a little bit, but just caught up with the interview with Lilah and genuinely what a beautiful, introspective interview! I got really emotional listening to Jason in parts, especially when he was talking about his self-worth. He's so right - nobody can ever be you. I thought he was so open and honest, it was such a lovely interview to listen to.

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
BTW I am listening to a very interesting podcast with Jordan Cowan. It's not about Jason, but it's about skating and worth a listen. https://audioboom.com/posts/7582564-episode-30-open-ice-with-jordan-cowan

Adding on to this, Jordan announced on his On Ice Perspectices instagram that he is going to be doing interviews with skaters he has filmed and re-watching their footage and discussing skating - so fingers crossed for a Jason interview, the "I can't go on without you" vid they shot last summer was sooooo good!

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Adding on to this, Jordan announced on his On Ice Perspectices instagram that he is going to be doing interviews with skaters he has filmed and re-watching their footage and discussing skating - so fingers crossed for a Jason interview, the "I can't go on without you" vid they shot last summer was sooooo good!

Jordan filmed the early stages of Schindler's List last year also. I'm looking forward to watching Jordan's videos and discussions. His interview on Ice Tea was very good, with lots of discussion about how they developed Open Ice. That fund raiser was a technical masterpiece!

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
On another slightly related topic, I did link to the Figure Skating in Harlem Gala fundraiser, for which Jason was announced to be a participant. I never did see him, so I assume that he didn't do it. It wasn't nearly as well done as Open Ice. They should have hired Jordan!

Ross74

Medalist
Just a quick fyi that the interview that Scott Hamilton did with Brian and Tracy recently has been posted. It's a really nice interview but it's mostly a retrospective of their careers and the times that the three of them spent together in shows and whatnot. The only mentions of skaters that they coached are regarding how Rippon, Yuna, Javi and Hanyu came to come to Toronto. But there are a few mentions of Toller Cranston (!) and a last-minute appearance by Kori where she reminds Brian and Tracy that 2022 U.S. Nationals are in Nashville and they might just be coming there. ;) I guess that could be a Jason reference.

Nice relaxing interview. I enjoyed it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTdgu5B032I

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Where can this be viewed???? I looked at the Olympic Channel webpage and can't find it :shocked:

I'm thinking that it might be an Olympic Channel Instagram Live? Unfortunately, I won't be available at 10 AM NY time. Hope they archive it!