Javier Fernandez | Page 176 | Golden Skate

Javier Fernandez

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
The Chaplin segment was on right at the start (which I missed and apparently everyone else, too, because it has not come up anywhere yet), but it seems he did it mostly together with the presenter based on this rather poor quality clip: https://twitter.com/bajoqueta/status/878707011847954433

So, definitely no SP there, but as tureis said, that has been seen a couple of times on Fantasy on Ice now (and it looks quite good already, I must say!). It is a pity that the Niigata show will not be broadcast at all because Javi and Miki did the "Eres tu" number from RevolutiOnIce and I for one would really want to see it... Plus my agent in Japan said that the Modern Times SP was at its best there (and my agent saw every show on that tour).

His dad and some friends were interviewed along the way last night. Javi appeared a couple of times as he was the main guest. The segment with Huecco playing is available on YT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi-4s78kCpQ

He also had a dance-off with the presenter, did some "curling" trying to get tupperware containers to a microwave oven (yes, indeed). He was also asked a couple of questions - what he misses most in Canada and I did get two of his replies: the sun and his mother's cooking :biggrin:

The program will probably be available through the RTVE a la carte player this week. Well, at least I hope so!

It was delightful to read that he intends to skate a full season - I have my tics for Milan in the pocket already... I will try to catch him as much as possible also this season and flights for Beijing have been booked (YES!), Grenoble and Moscow are naturally in the plans as well. Even Spanish Nationals are being discussed... GPF and Olympics I will watch at home - particularly the Olys I rather spend freaking out on my own :laugh: GPF dates are a bit difficult this year, plus as it is in Japan I expect that tickets will be difficult to get.

It'll be interesting to see if anything will be leaked of the FS in the coming weeks - David Wilson is apparently coming to Spain to do it in the beginning of July. They could let us out of our misery and finally reveal what it will be about!

E

DelRetiro

On the Ice
Success! NSQ3 (Program 3 of "No es un sabado cualquiera") is up on RTVE.es, and I was able to see it just fine on my tablet. The "ice" he skated on in the show wasn't ice but that plastic surface that you can skate on. Not sure if it's the surface itself or the small size of the skating area, but Javi didn't attempt any jumps, just did lots of footwork and step sequences plus a spin or two. I think his spins were actually faster on the plastic than they are on ice.

@tureis, thanks for the link to Javi's new Chaplin SP. I have to say, I'm not crazy about it because I find all Chaplin numbers a bit cutesy. It certainly doesn't have the fire and elegance of "Malaguena," but it's not like Javi could use the same SP three seasons in a row. The Chaplin number he did in the beginning was as @eppen described, a comedy schtick between Javi and the program host. BTW, the third thing Javi said he missed most about Spain was "terrazas," i.e., the outdoor spaces of bars, cafes, and restaurants.

"No es un sabado cualquiera" is an old-fashioned variety show, like the old Ed Sullivan Show. The last one on American TV was probably Carol Burnett. It's mostly singers, dance numbers, and comedy bits, with some banter connecting all the numbers. While this type of show is long defunct in the U.S., apparently it's still popular in Spanish-speaking countries. I think it's great that Javi was invited to be this week's guest host. He was introduced as the Spanish champion, the European champion, the world champion, and for us, the champion of the universe. It's nice to see that Javi is so loved and appreciated in his native Spain.

DelRetiro

On the Ice
Luckily, the relevant parts of the Saturday night show have found their way to YT: Part 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svcy5h26xnw, Part 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX45L8hbUBk

E

Thanks for the links! The show is ~2.5 hours long, and I ended up fast-forwarding through parts of it because I didn't like the singer who was the program's big singing star. It looks like the YouTube clips caught all the parts featuring Javi. I really loved the number he did with Huecco. Even if you don't understand Spanish, the song Huecco sings and Javi skates to is terrific.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
The FEDH has announced the selection criteria for the WOG. 1st spot for the men automatically goes to Javi.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BWHiTDvlZut/
Does this make him the first skater to have his place in the Olympics 100% confirmed? :biggrin:

I have a question: Does Spain have anyone but 2 male spots qualified for the WOG? They will have to go to Nebelhorn Trophy to qualify more spots for Spain, right? So the Federation covers the costs for participation in the Golden Spin but not Nebelhorn? Why use only Golden Spin (plus Nationals) as criteria?

tureis

On the Ice
The FEDH has announced the selection criteria for the WOG. 1st spot for the men automatically goes to Javi.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BWHiTDvlZut/
Does this make him the first skater to have his place in the Olympics 100% confirmed? :biggrin:

Haha indeed, he may very well be the first skater to be officially confirmed by any federation! :) I can't recall any other small federation making an announcement already, and the big ones will certainly not do so until their respective nationals are over, even if some of those spots are very obvious.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
I have a question: Does Spain have anyone but 2 male spots qualified for the WOG? They will have to go to Nebelhorn Trophy to qualify more spots for Spain, right? So the Federation covers the costs for participation in the Golden Spin but not Nebelhorn? Why use only Golden Spin (plus Nationals) as criteria?

Seems like they also have a spot for Ice Dance. They usually use Golden Spin rather than Nebelhorn. But I'm not sure why :shrug:

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Seems like they also have a spot for Ice Dance. They usually use Golden Spin rather than Nebelhorn. But I'm not sure why :shrug:

But Nebelhorn is the qualifier event, not Golden Spin, right? I thought you could only get spots in Nebelhorn. Getting the minimums for Olys can happen in any of these competitions, but for qualifying for a spot they don't yet have for their Ladies they need to send them to Nebelhorn, right?

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
But Nebelhorn is the qualifier event, not Golden Spin, right? I thought you could only get spots in Nebelhorn. Getting the minimums for Olys can happen in any of these competitions, but for qualifying for a spot they don't yet have for their Ladies they need to send them to Nebelhorn, right?

Yeah, it's weird that they do mention the need get the spots at Nebelhorn yet the Fed doesn't seem like they will cover the athletes' expenses for those attending. And they even say that they won't cover any athletes' expenses at Golden Spin should they fail to qualify at Nebelhorn :no:

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Javi did his job in the Worlds quite well even, so now one less worry to think about :biggrin:

Nebelhorn Trophy is the qualifier for country spots in the Olympics, but the skaters who will skate in those country spots will be chosen separately afterwards by the federations. Golden Spin is later in the fall season (early December) which also makes sense for the federation's choices because at that point it is clearer which team/skater is getting in shape for the Olympics. About the costs, I think what they say is that they will cover the costs of those athletes who will go to Golden Spin to qualify for the disciplines Spain already has spots for, ie the second men's and the ice dance, but ladies and pairs only if they are able to qualify for a country spot in Nebelhorn Trophy.

An article on Gloria Estefanell who worked for the Spanish Federation whilst Javi was starting out - some memories from the days included: https://www.instagram.com/p/BWGSfBAhFb6/?taken-by=the.real.ruben

E

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
LaLiga4Sports has put their videos from FB and their webpage to YT and are continuing to publish that platform - and who do they ask to promote it? Javier Fernández, of course: https://youtu.be/vYcTFHtD2Oc

They have now uploaded some 120 videos and the percentage containing Javi is amazingly high: the official launch panel from April 2016, Javi and Carolina Marin's launch as ambassadors in February, Revolution on Ice, Europeans preview, SP comments, fifth Euro gold, backstage video on Euros, Nagoya master class, playing with the LaLiga ball, previews the Worlds, SP at Worlds, the visit to HJK at Helsinki, penalities he shot there, and even a third one of that event, reactions to FS, about 15 (over 10% of all)? (And the Plushenko interview is not here yet.) Plus there's a few other figure skating related videos as well (Javier Raya, Valentina Matos, Smart-Diaz). It could be because figure skating is one of the very few winter sports they have represented, but I suspect it's just because they love to have Javi as their poster boy :biggrin:

Just in case you have missed them before...

E

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Holidays are definitely over for Javi...

This week at least two commercials shot in Madrid - one towards the beginning of the week for La Liga (I think).

And then one for Reebok maybe yesterday: pic 1, pics 2, two clips from the shoot (I have drawn the line on social media to instagram, but should someone wish to save and upload that instastory to some other platform, would be appreciated).

In between he has had time to visit his lawyer's offices. (That summer boy still firmly with us :love:)

Also Javi's dad gets a bit of social media attention sharpening skates. (At first glance they always look so different, but then when you start looking, gestures, looks on their faces etc. are exactly the same.)

The best for last, though. The number of Javi videos for LaLiga4Sports cannot diminish proportionally below 10% or so, and consequently they have to do new ones, right? This one features Javi dry-running Malagueña whilst answering questions about himself. Not always so easy! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApLCHfu_LoY (I think I got most of the questions and replies, but a translation would be just wonderful! Should anyone have the time and energy...) I wonder if this is now the renovated family home in Madrid?!

E

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
The best for last, though. The number of Javi videos for LaLiga4Sports cannot diminish proportionally below 10% or so, and consequently they have to do new ones, right? This one features Javi dry-running Malagueña whilst answering questions about himself. Not always so easy! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApLCHfu_LoY (I think I got most of the questions and replies, but a translation would be just wonderful! Should anyone have the time and energy...) I wonder if this is now the renovated family home in Madrid?!

E

You can find a translation of the Q&A in this twitter thread! He hesitates on what name he likes to be called but not on which football team he likes. :laugh:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Shouldn´t he end all distractions now and start working his new programs at this point to be 100 % ready in February? Most of other skaters have announced their programs by now....

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Xeyra - thanks for the link!

Well, he has to earn those sponsorship euros somehow? (So that he does not have to do a ton of shows.) Compared to what he was up to last year (and the year before) off-season this has been absolutely nothing, I'd say.

Also, we have no idea what he might be doing on ice when the cameras are not there (and when pictures or clips do not get posted online). The plan was to get the FS done about now, but at least I have not seen anything on that anywhere. Of the top guys, only Shoma's plans are 100% known, Yuzu and Javi have revealed their SPs so far, but on Nathan, Patrick or Boyang Jin, nothing as far as I know. Yuzu is expected to hold a press day in Toronto sometime in August I think, where the FS will probably be revealed. Don't know if Javi et al are planning sth similar before Japan Open when it has to be revealed.

Add: a news piece of yesterday's Reebok shoot https://twitter.com/24h_tve/status/885862443959828480 (I think he also reveals the FS theme quite casually in there, but please tell me I understood it right...)

E