Javier Fernandez | Page 222 | Golden Skate

Javier Fernandez

Ms Cyatt

Spectator
I've been lurking here for a little while now and I finally decided to start posting. I just want to say how much I'll miss Javi and that I'll enjoy his final skates. Also whenever my mom and I are having a bad day we'll go watch some of Javi's skates on YouTube and he always puts a smile on our faces.

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
This channel on YT has done subs in English to some of Javi's older interviews in Spanish - go check them out if you missed them at the time.
E

There were some short videos but now a 40min-long interview with English subtitles has been added!!! It's from 2015, shortly after Javi won his first WC. I can sort of guess/understand what he's saying in short (very short) interviews but this one was completely uncomprehensible for me for so long. And it's an amazing interview, it's basically 40 minuts of laughing and smiling. The interviewer doesn't know much about figure skating and is not prepared much but he's so honestly amazed by skating - that it's so nice also for this reason.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jil1GCmIO34

(some highlights: 12:27 Javi talking about playing videogames BEFORE training so that he wakes up.
28:57 - describing how to jump triple lutz. Interviewer: you don't remember? Javi: wait, it's complicated. Interviewer: This is a serious problem, Javier Fernandez, world champion, doesn't remember how to do a triple lutz.
And we already know this, but the man cannot be trusted with math and numbers :laugh: 8:30 - about WC 2015. Hanyu was second. No third. No second. :laugh:
And allow me a fangirling moment - Javi is the most handsome here as I've ever seen him; and he's always handsome.)

And also Javi is doing Stars on Ice in China!? :eek: (16th September)
https://twitter.com/crazykuroneko/status/1021394693307785217

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
I remember that one - one of those interviews that he posted on his social media, coz it was so much fun also for him. The 2015 look was good with slightly more hair than after that :p

The Stars on Ice China gig was announced earlier, they just did not have the dates yet. Wonder when the show in Beijing is going to be and whether he will be able to do that as well... Shanghai is just a week before Opera on Ice in Italy, so he will be jetsetting a lot again.

Summer guy caught on camera in Madrid. Well-deserved vacation time! Hope he gets to go to the beach!

E

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh, Javi :luv17: (it's what my internal voice says everytime I see him :) )

Me too, watching the Fantasy on Ice shows my brain always went "JAVI!!!" the moment he appeared (and sometimes not just the brain/internal voice...)

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
And to think this is the guy who could just about afford his own training/living costs just a few years ago!

Last week he posted an IG story of a photo/video/whatever shoot, so I think he was sort of working still, but the most recent story (which is also by now the semi-obligatory relationship update) seems to indicate he is finally having some well-earned vacation days by the sea.

However, some work assignments are just around the corner: he will continue to participate in Brian's August summer camp and its show Beat the Heat in Port Carling. Whilst in Canada, hopefully also work on possible new programs for his final season?!

And it looks like SOI China will only have one show, the one in Shanghai on September 16. ADD: There will be a Beijing show, but in December which might mean Javi might not be able to participate with his own shows scheduled to the latter part of the month.

E

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
It seems that just about all the Fantasy on Ice shows are being/have been broadcast in Japan - Makuhari Day 2 included also a brief Javi interview. As I have not found this show or the interview posted online anywhere in the usual places, here's a collection of screenshots in Japanese (scroll past all the Hanyu pics...). Should anyone have knowledge of where to get the Makuhari Day 2, please let me know!

The most recent spotting is likely to be from Madrid. Holidays are over, I guess. :think:

E

maturines

Rinkside
It seems that just about all the Fantasy on Ice shows are being/have been broadcast in Japan - Makuhari Day 2 included also a brief Javi interview. As I have not found this show or the interview posted online anywhere in the usual places, here's a collection of screenshots in Japanese (scroll past all the Hanyu pics...). Should anyone have knowledge of where to get the Makuhari Day 2, please let me know!

The Makuhari Day 2 is uploaded here, although it's a short version, not the full show.

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
I know there's not much going on right now but Eppen said that Javi was going to be in Canada and "hopefully also work on possible new programs for his final season?!"
And that got me thinking... I still doubt we'll see two new programs... In my opinion it would be also kind of risky because Javi won't compete so much and so he would come to the Europeans with two new programs he had little chance to polish (though he could use ROI as a substitute competition to test it and to try show it in all its glory with (almost) all elements).

But never mind the practical details maybe we could share our ideas / wishes what we would like to see as Javi's new (last) program/s - either realistic or probably unrealistic ones.

I would like to see Danny Boy as a SP. It's Javi's saddest program by far and I'm on the verge of tears everytime I see it but this upcoming season I'll probably cry regardless what he skates to, so why not?

I'm also a huge Andrea Bocelli fan and since Javi has done such a great exhibition program with Pablo Alboran's song, it could suit him well. And I don't mean the overused Nessun Dorma but something like Nelle tue mani, Vive ya (Vivere) or El silencio de la espera (Il mare calmo della sera).

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Maturines - thank you! Unhappy of it not including the interview (or Prometo), but happy to have it!

But above all? - PETER GUNN. My absolute dream for Javi is Peter Gunn.

Tally T - for the THIRD time?? Really? It was the last part of the "Superspy medley" for the Vancouver Olympics SP (it usually goes by "James Bond Medley", but only the first part is JB, then it's "Mission Impossible" and to finish "Peter Gunn"). It is weird to watch the SPs from that year, because the music selection changed while the choreo was mainly the same (the fall season it was mostly just Mission Impossible, then at Euros The Mexican OST - his first encounter with Malaguena, btw) until the Worlds when that choreo was ditched for good and they hashed up a version of the old Matrix FS.

The second time Peter Gunn appeared was of course the 2013-4 season FS. Which was actually not that good, IMO probably the worst FS in his time with Orser (even the Verdi opera FS was slightly better). It was just very blah although the judges seemed to like it (got very good PCS scores for the most part). (That season was in general something to forget about.)

Before 2018, there were no Olympics for Javi without Peter Gunn. It was not very lucky for him in the previous times, so not having Peter Gunn in Korea was a relief! :laugh:

I am also very curious as to what they come up with for his last program(s) - if they decide to do completely new one(s). I was dead against "Man of La Mancha" and disliked "Guys & Dolls" also before I saw both programs - they did a fantastic job with the choice of bits of music to use and the choreo of course. I will put my faith in his team to come up with something memorable! And just hope that they keep up the storytelling/character tradition - there is absolutely no one who does that better than Javi.

But I was playing with an idea of Carmen for him - I saw the opera recently and thought that doing the Don Jose arc might be interesting. I can't remember if anyone has done that before, but Don Jose's development from a good soldier who loves his mother and is falling for the decent girl from his home village to the scorned lover mad enough to kill Carmen could be something to give a new spin to the most popular warhorse in figure skating. However, the femicide makes me unhappy with the idea...

TSL uploaded some practice footage from Boston Worlds the other day. I still remember the day of the FS when news started to appear about him skipping a practice and having some kind of problems... At the time of the last practice session I stumbled upon a Periscope link (never had used that before), clicked it and was suddenly in Boston watching the session from one of the short ends. With Javi just about ready for his RT... I have never loved modern technology more than at that very moment.

E

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
The commercial is so funny - I wanna see the platypus version, though! :laugh:

Another split screen video.... Malagueña, Europeans vs Worlds 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-SkGXDPL20

This is my favourite so far - the difference in attack between two very good performances of the same routine is just amazing to watch. The command he has on absolutely everything in Helsinki (except that one spin) is unbelievable!

E