Javier Fernandez | Page 225 | Golden Skate

Javier Fernandez

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
And the whole video from Nicole della Monica (Plushnandez on a roll!)

E

Edit: A Chinese Javi page (or something) with a lot of the Shanghai pics, video clips and everything collected into one place. Including the clip from the Finale where he skates with Jeffrey Buttle. And here a brill fancam of Prometo.

They were in a banquet of Saturday night organized by SOI and a short description of what happened there is here (obviously in Chinese, but Google Translate will render it into almost understandable English).

I love the fan stories from the meeting which all seemingly mention how he looks you straight in your eyes when you talk to him. And having gotten to experience that a couple of times now, it is truly like that, even when he is on stage and relatively far away from you, he talks to YOU and no one else in the room. Love it! (Although at the same time, it is difficult to concentrate on what you should be saying and whatever he is saying...)

Plus some details that came out in different times in Shanghai (I have a Chinese agent so to say and she has been collecting tidbits). He talked about shooting the Huawei ads - apparently each one took sth like 4 hours to do and the camel was the most difficult one because the head piece kept swining in all directions... The pair spin was already mentioned. And then a tb for Thursday. After his FS in Worlds 2015 he was looking for sth on the ice - contacts said some, I thought he might have been checking at possible UR marks on ice - but he lost something from the Barber of Seville costume, could not find it.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I love the fan stories from the meeting which all seemingly mention how he looks you straight in your eyes when you talk to him. And having gotten to experience that a couple of times now, it is truly like that, even when he is on stage and relatively far away from you, he talks to YOU and no one else in the room.

That would be heavenly... Javi has the most beautiful eyes (okay, and everything else, he is one of the most classically handsome skaters really)

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
A few more from Marostica: practices from Il Giornale di Vicenza, plus two clips of Barbiere: 1 and 2 (fourth in the series).

La Repubblica published a short interview also. The first question is about his future and he says no to a new Olympic cycle and that shows, opening his own skating school and teaching seminars all over the world will be his future. Then they ask about how the idea for the Torero program came about. The idea was to to give the traditional figure a comic twist. They cite Najarro as the choreographer, but I do believe it is still Kenji Miyamoto based on previous interviews (LR did not do their research very well, I must say). A brief mention of the Huawei campaign and then they ask about his jetsetting lifestyle incl. a Japanese girlfriend (really??) which he corrects politely. Then a few words about Brian, Denis Ten (shock, of course) and Carolina Kostner who continues her career although she is older than Javi. He says (as has been seen before) that his body just cannot take it anymore and adds a new tidbit - sometimes after practices his feet hurt so much that it took him even as long as 45 min before he could put on shoes! Then a question on which of his medals he likes most - OBM gets a shoutout. Then a few words about the difficulty of being a figure skater in Spain. At the end, football, Cristiano moved from Real to Juventus and they ask how he feels about it as a HC real fan. Polite wish for all the best in the new team.

I really liked the few clips of Barbiere. The choreo was of course different from his FS (it was the whole aria after all), but he seems really to own the music even here, where he has had relatively little time to learn and master the new choreo! A friend who was there called his performance "masterful"... It will broadcast on Christmas Eve in Italy, so hope we get to see it then!

E

maturines

Rinkside

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
A couple of more: Carmen and from the end of the finale with a look at that Aida costume. Plus Wilma Alberti's rather marvellous photos (note that they are in two parts with each containing two pages).

The choreo for Carmen does not look very good in the clips - slow and not really happening in any way... No wonder Barbiere was posted so many times!

Plus some photos from Shanghai: Torero Parts One and Two and Prometo Parts One and Two (his facial expressions in this one get me every time...).

E

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Although this is the GS interview of Evgenia Medvedeva, it has a place in this thread. Her words on Javi's support and importance to her in a very difficult moment in her young life are beautiful to hear! (Reminded me of what Gabrielle Daleman said of him, also.)

And a short interview from AS in Spain. Looks like his plans are slooooooowly taking shape (maybe). He will stay in Madrid before JO to train and will use Man of La Mancha. Then at some point he will go to Canada to train a few weeks to get ready for the Europeans (earlier it was said directly after JO, which would make sense as the first ROI show date is November 10 - he would have at least two weeks easily there before having to come back for Pamplona. And I would maybe expect another period in January??) The program plans are shifting also: new SP is in the plans as said earlier, but if they find a good piece of music (and have time?), there could also be a new FS. But nothing on the nationals or a possible senior b competition.

E

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Although this is the GS interview of Evgenia Medvedeva, it has a place in this thread. Her words on Javi's support and importance to her in a very difficult moment in her young life are beautiful to hear! (Reminded me of what Gabrielle Daleman said of him, also.)

Reminds me of how welcoming and open he was to Yuzu when he moved to the TCC - and of this tweet I put up on the Yuzu thread about the new program,

https://twitter.com/shinjistarxx/status/1044494368160325632

...where he specifically mentions a bit inspired by Javi and again mentions how important he is.

I have long thought that the great atmosphere at TCC and great sportsmanship in the top mens' group this last quad owes a lot to Javi, more than people realise....

Imov

Medalist
Its so nice hear people saying such wonderful things about Javi.
The part when Zhenya said they are all waiting for him.
Javi is such an angel, I really :pray: for the best in his life.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
IIRC he should be in Canada only after Japan Open for the new SP and (hopefully) work towards the Europeans. This one he prepped for in Madrid because it is only FS and I guess they did the changes needed to revamp Man of La Mancha to the current rules during the summer (the camp in Canada in August??).

But so far I've seen nothing, not from himself or from any other source (apart from some pics of the column decorations at the Saitama arena). Tracy has been in JO with Javi in the previous couple of years.

E

Imov

Medalist
Look like Javi will just surprise on Japan Open.
I am still excited to see them still.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
From the visit to Malaga last week - not only football, but also the local basketball team: an article in Diario Sur and a video (he looks so small compared to the basketball players!)...

And indeed, Japan Open (it's alive and it's a banana)... The Japanese fans greet him with flowers and gifts.

E

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Thank you all for the updates! I am looking forward to Japan Open 90% for Javi.....

Imov

Medalist
Saw an update that Javi is in 3rd pla at JO.
Hopefully I can find a performance link of his skate today.