Jeff Buttle Working on an Unnamed Movie | Golden Skate

Jeff Buttle Working on an Unnamed Movie

Haleth

On the Ice
Jeff Buttle just completed an entire night's worth of work at the Aqua rink in Chiba, Japan for an unnamed movie: https://www.instagram.com/p/BjW5NmjnfNe/?taken-by=j_butt

https://twitter.com/J_Butt/status/1001129507024027648

The identity of the film? Enterprising Japanese fs fans are on the case: https://twitter.com/denkimouse/status/1001470254847946757

Obviously there is no official announcement and of course Jeff will say nothing until he's permitted to do so, but those are some very suggestive clues. He is kitted up like Kenji Miyamoto was for his choreographic work for the Yuri on Ice tv series (the videos of his work can be seen as a bonus on the Japanese BDs). If it is in fact for the new YOI movie it will be a treat indeed to see Sayo Yamamoto and Mitsurou Kubo transform Jeff's creations into brilliant animation on a movie budget and timeframe. A taste of what that might look like can be seen in Victor Nikiforov and Yuuri Katsuki's performances of Victor Nikiforov's FP "Stammi Vicino" in the first episode of YOI (go to 13:03 for the start of the scene): http://www.crunchyroll.com/yuri-on-ice/episode-1-easy-as-pirozhki-the-grand-prix-final-of-tears-721621 and in Yuri Plisetsky's exhibition program, "Welcome to the Madness", which the staff completed as a bonus for the final disc of the tv series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyk86I9XOE4

To the mods: I put this in the Edge because Jeff is doing skating demo and/or choreo work at a rink. Please let me know if this needs to be moved elsewhere!

iorii

On the Ice
I think it's very likely that it's for the YOI movie. But I was surprised to see that they aren't going to use Miyamoto Kenji again and how it's apparent that they have enough budget to even hire Jeff now. Very looking forward to see his work turned into beautiful animation :luv17:

The animators didn't have enough time (and probably budget) to truly refine all the programs for the TV series, but this one is a movie so hopefully they'll be able to make all programs look beautiful. And since it's a movie--will we be able to see footage of Jeff's choreo though? Kenji's footage was included with the BDs.

Haleth

On the Ice
I think it's very likely that it's for the YOI movie. But I was surprised to see that they aren't going to use Miyamoto Kenji again and how it's apparent that they have enough budget to even hire Jeff now. Very looking forward to see his work turned into beautiful animation :luv17:

The animators didn't have enough time (and probably budget) to truly refine all the programs for the TV series, but this one is a movie so hopefully they'll be able to make all programs look beautiful. And since it's a movie--will we be able to see footage of Jeff's choreo though? Kenji's footage was included with the BDs.

The film was announced back in April 2017 so they have already spent a year on it; no screening date has been announced. I've seen elsewhere that for the TV series the choreo was done about 7-8 months before the first episode aired, so perhaps we will see the film late fall/winter 2018-2019 (during the skating season). Just a guess. I'm happy they are taking their time to get HQ animation. They nearly killed themselves doing the tv series; Sayo had iirc a physical breakdown for several weeks thanks to the punishing schedule combined with extremely elaborate animation. So stay healthy, YOI team!

I'd be surprised if Jeff's work wasn't an extra in the disc, not least because both creators are huge skating fans and would love to show off that part of the nuts and bolts of the production.

I loved Kenji's work but I'm glad that they are turning to another choreographer because I think it should add variety to the programs and believable skater development. Note I'm not saying KM's programs were all the same (I loved what he did esp for Eros and Stammi Vicino), just that any one choreographer will have a certain style and ofc in the fs world there are multiple talented people out there working and whose work will be seen in any one season. If the YOI folks had an even bigger budget they might be able to work with more than one person per project, which would be fantastic, but I'm not going to be greedy.

I wonder if they will work with Chacott again, or with another costume designer?

Dragonheart97

Rinkside

I can't find the tweet again, but someone said Kenji was seen at the rink with them so maybe they're working together? I hope they are, because even though Kenji's work on the series was great, you could kind of tell that they were all choreographed by the same person because a lot of the programs had the same elements. It would be nice to mix up the skating styles a bit. (It's possible I can't find it because it was deleted if this info was unconfirmed.)

And there will probably eventually be a DVD release of the movie down the line, though the US DVDs of the series took about a year after the Japan DVDs were released to come out. However, the US didn't get the extras with Kenji's work so idk if we'll get Jeff's (but maybe since he's from Canada/North America).

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Rumor: Jeffrey Buttle working in YoI Movie

From ANN.
Social media is aflutter with rumors that ice skater Jeffrey Buttle is assisting with Yuri!!! on Ice anime film. The movie was announced over a year ago but staff have continued to keep what, if any progress, is being made on the film's production. Fans are searching high and low for any kind of confirmation and a recent Instagram post by Buttle is feeding the flames.

Buttle was in Japan at Aqua Rink Chiba over the weekend. He wrote in his Instagram post that he was up all night as part of a movie shoot. In the picture, Buttle is decked out in Xsense 3D motion tracking gear.

More information about the movie on the link

Edit.

Sorry for "romor"

Dragonheart97

Rinkside
Some more info via this thread on Twitter: https://twitter.com/soukatsu_/status/1001480481492303873

@soukatsu_just to recap:
- Sayokan and Kenji-sensei came to the Chiba rink on 5/9
- Kubo-san, Hiramatsu-san, and Itou-san came to Chiba rink on 5/15 (rink was booked through the night from 5/15 to 5/17)
- Jeffrey Buttle was at Chiba rink recording choreography for a movie from 5/28 to 5/29

@soukatsu_
for all the days that YOI staff made an appearance at the Chiba rink (shown by their dated autographs + doodles on display) the rink was rented out through the nights from 20:00 to 29:45 (5:45am) the next morning. I hope YOI staff have some time to recover after all that work 😅

Sayokan is Sayo Yamamoto, the director of the YOI series; Kubo is the creator, and Hiramatsu and Itou are the main animators. This also confirms Kenji was there. The staff usually gives autographed items to venues they use for promotion of the original series as well as for things like this.

frida80

Record Breaker
I wonder if he'll be a new character or doing motion capture for an existing character.

Haleth

On the Ice

That's what we expect he's done. For the creation of the TV series Kenji Miyamoto was filmed overnight when he skated the programs for the characters. So he both created the choreo and performed it for the camera so that the animators had proper motion references. Jeff may have it a bit easier than Kenji in that for the series he created programs for all the men's GPF participants and some men in the GP series, a total of 14 characters, for a 12-episode series. Not all of the programs could be shown in detail because of time constraints, but the men in the GPF had substantial programs. I imagine the film would be at least half the runtime of the series or less in length, so probably fewer programs will be needed, even if they include a different major competition like Worlds (tv series only did up to the GPF).

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
I imagine the film would be at least half the runtime of the series or less in length, so probably fewer programs will be needed, even if they include a different major competition like Worlds (tv series only did up to the GPF).

Some of this is a problem due to various stations having rights for various FS competitions. I think Worlds may be one of those, considering IIRC Fuji TV has Worlds.

jillredhand

Record Breaker
Ohhhh **** guys, imma about to fall headfirst back down into the rabid anime fangirl side again. Very excited!

synteis

Medalist
Like others have said, I'm really excited to see multiple choreographers working on what is likely the YoI movie. Woot!

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
How many guest stars will they get at this movie?

Will Lambiel make another appearance?
Yuzu, Dai, Mao? No dubbing necessary?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
They haven't timed this particularly well. I'd have thought the best time to release a YOI movie would be just after the Olympics, when even casual fans who don't usually watch anime are hyped about it.

I suppose this means we're never getting a season 2, which means we'll never find out about Nats, Euros, 4CC, Worlds in that universe's season....you know, like the half of the season that actually matters.

iorii

On the Ice
That's what we expect he's done. For the creation of the TV series Kenji Miyamoto was filmed overnight when he skated the programs for the characters. So he both created the choreo and performed it for the camera so that the animators had proper motion references. Jeff may have it a bit easier than Kenji in that for the series he created programs for all the men's GPF participants and some men in the GP series, a total of 14 characters, for a 12-episode series. Not all of the programs could be shown in detail because of time constraints, but the men in the GPF had substantial programs. I imagine the film would be at least half the runtime of the series or less in length, so probably fewer programs will be needed, even if they include a different major competition like Worlds (tv series only did up to the GPF).

You're right, Jeff will probably have it easier because of the length. Poor Kenji had to come up with a program within 2 hours on the spot.

The TV series ended with 4CC hinted. What competition do you think it will be for the movie? Viktor won't be at 4CC though so I doubt it.

And there will probably eventually be a DVD release of the movie down the line, though the US DVDs of the series took about a year after the Japan DVDs were released to come out. However, the US didn't get the extras with Kenji's work so idk if we'll get Jeff's (but maybe since he's from Canada/North America).

I didn't know the US DVDs/BDs didn't get the extras! Blasphemy. They're wonderful work that unfortunately got downgraded a lot because the animators suffered from tight deadline.

https://twitter.com/soukatsu_/status/1001656073185644544 now they're bringing in Johnny? How many elite skaters they got involved with the movie?! Please bring in Lambiel again somehow I'll accept him in any form, just saying 'salut, Viktor' again is okay too! :dbana: Sayo loves Lambiel so much, she'll bring him back right!!

iorii

On the Ice
They haven't timed this particularly well. I'd have thought the best time to release a YOI movie would be just after the Olympics, when even casual fans who don't usually watch anime are hyped about it.

I suppose this means we're never getting a season 2, which means we'll never find out about Nats, Euros, 4CC, Worlds in that universe's season....you know, like the half of the season that actually matters.

(Sorry for the double post!)

It isn't realistic for the movie to be released right after Olympics, it's such a short time. Viktor's FS animation alone took them 3 months. They would want the skating animation to be top quality, I'm sure they'll take their time.

We don't know about season 2, it's still possible. My favorite video game franchise got ended and the company got sold to other company, it was basically dead. But then few years later it got revived. As long as the producers want it and money allows, season 2 is possible.