Jimmy Ma | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Jimmy Ma

noskates

Record Breaker
I'll be perfectly honest. I never cared much for Jimmy or his skating before now. His music was always some heavy metal or pop thing and his choreography was juvenile at best. BUT - I'm totally surprised and elated at the new Jimmy. When I saw he was skating to Swan Lake and came out in a costume with sequins on it I actually laughed out loud. Then he skated and I became entranced. He is so smooth and the choreography just flows with him. His jumps were so solid and his spins were beautiful. I thought he did an awesome job in the short program and I wish him best luck in the free skate. I'm now a Jimmy Ma believer!! :cheer:(y)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would have Jimmy in third. Too bad he skated so early, and just after Vincent. That probably took a couple points off his score.

The save with his hairband should be added to his choreo!
Terry Gannon was more impressed by that than anything else all night. They replayed it in slo mo and everything.šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'll be perfectly honest. I never cared much for Jimmy or his skating before now. His music was always some heavy metal or pop thing and his choreography was juvenile at best. BUT - I'm totally surprised and elated at the new Jimmy. When I saw he was skating to Swan Lake and came out in a costume with sequins on it I actually laughed out loud. Then he skated and I became entranced. He is so smooth and the choreography just flows with him. His jumps were so solid and his spins were beautiful. I thought he did an awesome job in the short program and I wish him best luck in the free skate. I'm now a Jimmy Ma believer!! :cheer:(y)
Iā€™ve always loved him but last years Nationals, ā€œthats my dogā€ and ā€œoh sheetā€ on National TV made him my second favorite male skater after Keegan.

Heā€™s known for skating to modern music (which I personally think is a good thing and may draw younger people to the sport) but is also a classically trained pianist who has played Carnegie Hall. The same season he did the ā€œTurn Down for Whatā€ short, his long was to Rachmaninoff. He just gets more attention for his rap programs.

noskates

Record Breaker
After all that praise, I was disappointed in the free skate. I'm thinking Jimmy needs to stay away from the modern music and I honestly don't think that will draw younger people to the sport (unless he wins a gold medal with it) I think, and it's just my uneducated opinion after watching skating for 30+ years, that Jimmy does better with the more classical or slower pieces because he doesn't race around and rush his jumps. He certainly has the technical ability and we know he can have consistently landed jumps.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
After all that praise, I was disappointed in the free skate. I'm thinking Jimmy needs to stay away from the modern music and I honestly don't think that will draw younger people to the sport (unless he wins a gold medal with it) I think, and it's just my uneducated opinion after watching skating for 30+ years, that Jimmy does better with the more classical or slower pieces because he doesn't race around and rush his jumps. He certainly has the technical ability and we know he can have consistently landed jumps.
I donā€™t know. I saw him compete his long in person and enjoyed it quite bit. But I am a fan and see things through love colored glasses. I think he was overcome with nerves and being ahead of Nathan Chen. I do hope he gets some more International assignments. I think top 5 was a good result for him. Of course I would have preferred a medal.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Jimmy Ma made a guest appearance on Ice Talk. His segment begins at around 30m 58s. He tells the funny story on how Black Swan became his SP this season, and there was a This or That trivia thing at the end of his interview. (spoiler: pie :laugh:)

https://icetalk.libsyn.com/what-happens-in-vegas

Also on Apple Podcasts and Spotify, if you guys are on those ecosystem.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jimmy Ma made a guest appearance on Ice Talk. His segment begins at around 30m 58s. He tells the funny story on how Black Swan became his SP this season, and there was a This or That trivia thing at the end of his interview. (spoiler: pie :laugh:)

https://icetalk.libsyn.com/what-happens-in-vegas

Also on Apple Podcasts and Spotify, if you guys are on those ecosystem.
Thank you !ā¤ļø

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congrats to Jimmy for his bronze at Golden Spin! Thatā€™s his 3rd International medal this season!

I hear his gala performance was epic. If anyone has a link to it I would appreciate it.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Congrats to Jimmy to such a clean, wonderful SP at US Nats! His SP to Swan lake was a high light for me for sure, along with Camden's and Malinin's. :rock:
Good luck in the free! :cheer2:

LRK

Record Breaker
Just popping in here to say that I've just watched Jimmy's US Nationals free skate, when it suddenly struck me that... I'd like to see him skate to the Shang-Chi soundtrack:

It is easily, hands down, my favourite MCU movie score so far, and ever since I saw the film, I've been wondering which skater would best suit it. And now I know.:) Jimmy could pull off both the lyrical and the powerful parts equally excellently.

Anyway, I've been enjoying Jimmy's skating this season, and am looking forward to seeing him at 4CC, and wishing him all the best there!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A very kind little bird wrote me and provided me with the following information:

In the St. Louis area in July:

Jimmy Ma; Timmy Chapman; Adam Blake; Kseniya Ponomaryova/Collin Brubaker; Elin Schran; Lauren Leonesio; and others will join local skaters to perform an abbreviated adaptation of It's a Wonderful Life - The Musical.

It's a Wonderful Life On Ice
Saturday, July 9, 2022, at 7 pm CDT
Webster Groves Ice Arena, 33 East Glendale Rd, Webster Groves, MO 63119

Here is the webpage

I'm SO HAPPY! This is like 30 minutes from me!

If anyone here plans on going feel free to drop me a line!

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It has come to my attention that I did not make a report (sadly, it is not because we eloped, I'm sorry to say). The VIP ticket allowed me to hang around the skaters entrance and watch warmups for an hour. They would also call skaters over to sign autographs. So they call Jimmy over and I'm like oh my God it's Jimmy Ma. He said, no, nothing special I said YES you are. Then I told him I gave a dog stuffie to a volunteer to give to him and the volunteer said "I see Jimmy every day." Jimmy said next time just throw it, I will go pick it up. I didn't have the heart to tell them that I'm pretty sure they would have thrown me out. I'm sorry I didn't get more, I should have practiced my speech like I do for Gracie.

He is VERY sexy. But tiny! He and Timmy shared the George part.

I was able to have a longer conversation with Timmy because I was sitting on a bench and he was off the ice - Jimmy had to go continue his warmup.