Joseph Phan | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Joseph Phan

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I've cut these from the official archived livestream.

2021-2022 SC Challenge SP (720p): https://streamable.com/9cf4rl

2021-2022 SC Challenge LP (720p): https://streamable.com/xtwr6u This is the debut of his Miss Saigon free skate.

Dailymotion would only accept Jo's SP if I edited out the replay and most of the kiss & cry.

This event was a rough outing for him, but considering he hasn't competed for 11 months, it's to be expected that he's rusty.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I've cut these from the official archived livestream.

2021-2022 SC Challenge SP (720p) : https://streamable.com/9cf4rl

2021-2022 SC Challenge LP (720p) : https://streamable.com/xtwr6u This is the debut of his Miss Saigon free skate.

Dailymotion would only accept Joseph's SP if I edited out the replay and most of the kiss & cry.

This event was a rough outing for him, but considering he hasn't competed for 11 months, it's to be expected that he's rusty.

he is still so beautiful to watch. I hope he gets his rhythm back soon!

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
does anyone have news about Jo? @siberia82 ? he didn't compete at Championnats nor at the Ontario event... So... just wondering if he is alright...

does anyone know about Joseph lately? Is he healthy? He has WD from Ontario sectionals.

I hadn't checked this forum in a while, so I apologize that you had to wait a long time for a response, but Jo is struggling with a knee injury. :( That of course explains why his jump content was watered down at the Challenge, and I've also noticed it's the Axel that he has the most trouble with.

he is still so beautiful to watch. I hope he gets his rhythm back soon!

I did inform Jo that I missed his skating, so although there were several mistakes, I'm just happy that he's competing again. :giggle:

Nationals is only a month away, so I doubt he'll make the Olympic team with so little training under his belt (but the Canadian men have been mostly disastrous this season :palmf: , so who knows what will happen), but all I hope for is that he improves with each outing. :pray:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i am not hoping for him to make it to the games... just to skate well and healthy. Jo is my favourite Canadian skater since Chiddy's retirement... even though i have to represent my "son" conrad on my Profile picture :) :) but yeah... go jo !!!! You are dearly missed and loved !

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
At the Golden Spin of Zagreb, Joseph had a redemptive free skate, and climbed up from 24th in the SP to 16th over-all. :jump: I was concerned about the condition of his knee after his disastrous short program, but his stronger showing in the long program was reassuring.

Yesterday's archived livestream was blocked soon after the event was over (and I'm sure the same thing will happen for today's event), so I couldn't download the original file, but luckily someone on YouTube made screen recordings of Jo's performances.

SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWvGgWtQ-ow

LP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzjDrmns_7I

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Thanks to 4everchan for finding this article.

Jo talks more about his knee injury... he's done some treatment for it.. but it's still difficult for him to land the big jumps, so much that training quads is done with harness ... Jo says Olympics were a big dream for him but he knows his chances are extremely slim with how little skating he has been able to do... they considered another treatment for his left knee but that would have meant two weeks without training at all, and as Nationals are just around the corner, they opted not to do it. I feel so sad for Jo... such a wonderful talent but unable to express himself fully. I hope he will be able to fully recover after the season and come back strongly for another cycle. (freely translated/summarized/extrapolated from this article)

Source: https://www.ledroit.com/2021/12/15/...s-olympiques-7e41968c79bfd203b280078a3483809d

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
WOO HOO, Jo had a clean SP and finished third in this segment!!! :yahoo:I've cut this video from the official archived livestream.

2022 CFSC SP (Livestream Commentary 720p):

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
so proud of Joseph for skating great programs. at nationals and being so close to his first podium. May he heal his left knee entirely and come back next season with his quads back... and also, if there is a 4CC assignment for him, i hope that Nationals will have given him the confidence he needs to do well there.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm soooooooooo happy for Jo that he had a good competition at Nationals! :party2: I wish he could've gotten the bronze medal (damn judges!), but he did so well considering the knee injury and the loss of training time.

As always, this vid was cut from the official archived livestream.

2022 CFSC LP (Livestream Commentary 720p):

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I was planning to download CBC TV's Road to the Olympic Games broadcasts of Nationals (they include Kurt Browning as the commentator) from the CBC.ca website, but I've been searching for nearly a week, and I can't find the archived livestreams anywhere. :scratch2: I had to beg :bow: an acquaintance to convert their PVRs into video files, and so far they provided me with the Men Short Program. (CBC Montreal DIDN'T air this segment :mad: , so I didn't even know there were any SPs that made it to the television broadcast until I received the vids!)

Kurt talks about Joseph in the warm-up section.
2022 CFSC Men SP Keegan Messing Update + Men Discussion + Warm-Up Clips (CBC TV 720p, 59fps):

2022 CFSC SP (CBC TV 720p, 59fps):

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
thanks for the videos... i was so bummed that i deleted my recorded PVRs before watching them... so i am happy now that i can watch them :)

i loved hearing what Kurt had to say about Jo. Yes, Jo is a real athlete. Strong, focused, polished. I hope he can heal his knee so he can fulfill his potential during the next quad. I love watching him.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
My acquaintance has finally given me the full Men Long Program broadcast,

Jo only appears in the warm-up section (it sucks that he was ignored in the recap when he placed 3rd!).
2022 CFSC Men LP Discussion + Men SP Recap + Warm-Up Clips (CBC TV 720p, 59fps):

My memory isn't what it used to be thanks to my health issues, but I think this is the first time Jo was interviewed on CBC television?
2022 CFSC LP + Post-Men LP Discussion + Post-LP Interview (CBC TV 720p, 59fps):

thanks for the videos... i was so bummed that i deleted my recorded PVRs before watching them... so i am happy now that i can watch them :)

i loved hearing what Kurt had to say about Jo. Yes, Jo is a real athlete. Strong, focused, polished. I hope he can heal his knee so he can fulfill his potential during the next quad. I love watching him.
You're welcome. Were you feeling bummed because Jo missed the bronze medal by a hair? Or is it because you other son didn't do well? In the future, maybe you shouldn't be so hasty in deleting PVRs you haven't watched because CBC.ca didn't archive the Road to the Olympic Games programs, so if it weren't for the hard work of my acquaintance (and I owe them favour now), we wouldn't have a copy of Jo's performances with Kurt's commentary (I love what he said about Jo's skating, as well!), plus an interview (which is rare for Jo at this stage of his career).

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
My acquaintance has finally given me the full Men Long Program broadcast,

Jo only appears in the warm-up section (it sucks that he was ignored in the recap when he placed 3rd!).
2022 CFSC Men LP Discussion + Men SP Recap + Warm-Up Clips (CBC TV 720p, 59fps):

My memory isn't what it used to be thanks to my health issues, but I think this is the first time Jo was interviewed on CBC television?
2022 CFSC LP + Post-Men LP Discussion + Post-LP Interview (CBC TV 720p, 59fps):

You're welcome. Were you feeling bummed because Jo missed the bronze medal by a hair? Or is it because you other son didn't do well? In the future, maybe you shouldn't be so hasty in deleting PVRs you haven't watched because CBC.ca didn't archive the Road to the Olympic Games programs, so if it weren't for the hard work of my acquaintance (and I owe them favour now), we wouldn't have a copy of Jo's performances with Kurt's commentary (I love what he said about Jo's skating, as well!), plus an interview (which is rare for Jo at this stage of his career).

you are right on all counts.... i was mostly bummed for Jo's triple lutz which is a jump that can be so beautiful for him... but sometimes he just misses his pick, gets on a lean and falls... SIGH... At that point, I had already dealt with Conrad's bad event... thanks for all the work here :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I agree with Kurt here : "he's handling very well (about jo in 4th)" as a matter of fact, I was the one who did not handle it very well.. there are a bunch of ways where jo could have gotten his half point from the judges, especially in PCS

For the interview : Joseph seems to have learned a lot about being strong and confident when he jumps. If he gets this feeling and transfers it to the next events, he could get more stable and show his amazing skating consistently. Somewhat excited to see what he will do next year, after 4cc and especially, after he is healed.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
This isn't important, but there was a brief clip of Jo backstage before his LP. I apologize for the "made by freemake.com" watermark, but there's nothing I can do about it.
Backstage Clip (CBC TV 720p, 59fps):

I forgot to mention that Jo was included in the Top 3 SP recap at around the 6:15 mark in the below video.

you are right on all counts.... i was mostly bummed for Jo's triple lutz which is a jump that can be so beautiful for him... but sometimes he just misses his pick, gets on a lean and falls... SIGH... At that point, I had already dealt with Conrad's bad event... thanks for all the work here :)
You're welcome, I'm glad you appreciate the vids. ☺️ It's interesting that you used the word "bummed"; someone else had used the exact same word to describe how they felt after Jo didn't get a medal. I yelled out "NOOOOOOOO!!!" at my TV when he fell on the 3Lz, knowing how razor-thin it was going to be for the podium. I understand that it's ultimately about the points total, yet it does seem unfair that he ended up 4th over-all even though he was 3rd in both segments. Maybe the judges were a bit stingy with his PCS?

I agree with Kurt here : "he's handling very well (about jo in 4th)" as a matter of fact, I was the one who did not handle it very well.. there are a bunch of ways where jo could have gotten his half point from the judges, especially in PCS

For the interview : Joseph seems to have learned a lot about being strong and confident when he jumps. If he gets this feeling and transfers it to the next events, he could get more stable and show his amazing skating consistently. Somewhat excited to see what he will do next year, after 4cc and especially, after he is healed.
I agree that his jumps look strong and confident. He should be proud of the two solid programs he delivered at Nationals; most skaters with an ongoing knee injury wouldn't be able to perform that well after competing for only a month. Assuming that he remains healthy, I have no doubt that Jo will fulfill his potential in the next quadrennial. 🤩

Last edited:

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Quote from 4CC.
Joseph Phan

(on preparation for this competition after the Canadian Nationals) It took me a couple of days to recover from it, because it’s Canadians, it takes a lot out of you. When I came back, we just started pushing right away for this competition and it was going well. I really wanted that third place (at the Canadian nationals) because I came fourth two time before that, so it’s my third time being fourth, always so close to the podium, to it’s frustrating.

(goals for 4CC and on performance today) To do my best, be happy with my performances. I was actually happy with my performance today, just the pop in the Axel, it was very costly, for my long that will be a focus on my axels.

(on travel problems, did they affect his performance?) On Wednesday we were stuck on the plane for 8 hours, just sitting there because they had to fix the engine. And so when we got off, as we were going to fly tomorrow, actually two hours after we left, they flew. So our luggage was still there, for quite some time. So, I think they opened it at some point and then tried to wrap it and tape it, and when it got to me, it was still open, I was scared that I lost something, but I think I lost one piece of clothing, at least it wasn’t my costume or anything. Today it didn’t really affect my performance, to be honest, just my axel was off today, I struggled with it today.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
WAY TO GO, JO!!! :jump: He was so Phan-tastic, and his long program was even better at 4CC than at Nationals!!! 👏 He got a new Personal Best score in the free skate!

2022 4CC LP (ISU 1080p):

Last edited: