Joshua Farris | Page 68 | Golden Skate

Joshua Farris

musicfan80

Medalist
The GoFundMe has apparently only be up for an hour and over the half the money needed has been raised! This is so heartwarming it is going to make be cry. I'm about to donate as well!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I plan to contribute, but when I went to GoFundMe, it included a default 15% “platform fee” for GoFundMe itself. It says that the organizer is charged nothing, but I just want to make sure I won’t be saddling her with fees if I choose not to contribute to the “platform fee.” Does anyone have any experience with this?

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Unfortunate - Hopefully he'll be able to continue his life alright.

Concussions are generally underestimated and not considered seriously enough. You essentially suffer permanent brain damage every time you have a concussion.

ayame

Rinkside
I'm so glad to see they've raised over 2.5k in such a short time - if anyone deserves that, it's Josh. However I am also very disappointed that he needed a fundraiser in the first place. Disappointed in the American health care system, but also in the fed; I can't imagine them not knowing about his situation yet I've heard absolutely nothing about anyone with any influence trying to prevent this (please, please correct me if I'm wrong). He trained to represent this country so their lack of support is shocking, imo.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I plan to contribute, but when I went to GoFundMe, it included a default 15% “platform fee” for GoFundMe itself. It says that the organizer is charged nothing, but I just want to make sure I won’t be saddling her with fees if I choose not to contribute to the “platform fee.” Does anyone have any experience with this?

Hmmmm; I have set up GoFundMe's for "my" charity, and it was byzantine to say the least, and GoFundMe took a cut. Of course, that was for an organization. I don't know if there's a way around it.

ETA: @Musicfan80 post has the details

Still verklempt. I didn't think it was good news when we didn't hear from Josh, but I didn't think it was this:sad21:

musicfan80

Medalist

More information about the fees from GoFundMe

It looks like there is a charge of 2.9% + $0.30 per donation for processing. Maybe that's why their goal is $5,000 and not just $4,300 - so that the processing fee is sure to be covered.

I think the 15% tip to GoFundMe looks to be 100% optional and it doesn't affect what the fundraiser receives.

Imagine

Medalist
Wait, this is...figure skating??? :unsure:

Granted, I don't (really) watch men's but omg, that is horrible and shocking. It's just not really a sport you'd normally associate with permanent brain damage like football or fighting. Those quads man...now I really hope the ladies don't go all quad-crazy in the near future. I'm not familiar with this athlete in particular, but I am sorry that he is going through this. So, he's a figure skater on the official US Team? Was he training for the Olympics in one of their facilities? I wonder if the federation could give him some support in that case.

Tavi...

Record Breaker

More information about the fees from GoFundMe

It looks like there is a charge of 2.9% + $0.30 per donation for processing. Maybe that's why their goal is $5,000 and not just $4,300 - so that the processing fee is sure to be covered.

I think the 15% tip to GoFundMe looks to be 100% optional and it doesn't affect what the fundraiser receives.

Thanks for the details - I just bit the bullet and gave them a small amount along with my donation, but I’ll keep it in mind for future!

mrrice

Record Breaker
This makes me very sad......Joshua is one of the few skaters that I have seen and met, in person. He's so sweet and I hope he gets the best care available....At this point, I want him off the ice forever. Sending good vibes......:sad21:

TuTU9678

On the Ice
Just donated and I encourage everyone to give Josh some support as well if your finances allow... Must be an extremely hard time for him to win a 4CC Silver medal in 2015, only to begin suffering concussions a few months later. I'm so sad that he had to experience this, especially since he was such a talented skater and had a bright future in front of him. I always took for granted the wonderful performances the skaters put forward, but this is one of those rare times I can actually give back, even though it's just a little. Thank YOU to those have already donated!

aa456

On the Ice
This is so saddening. I can't believe our Healthcare system. I donated and encourage everyone to do so if they have the means to.

onyxrose81

Rinkside
I just checked this forum and saw the news but it's incredible that it's only been up for two hours and already met the goal.

I hope everything goes well.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
This is honestly so heartbreaking. I was so happy when Joshua planned to comeback and was waiting for him to finally fullfil his potential. Yet he got injured again and even more seriously than before. Honestly I wish he didn't try to comeback now, because I'm so afraid this might have a big effect on the rest of his life. However, I admire him for even trying the comeback and trying to overcome all odds. Not all stories have a happy ending, but seeing as you all are so generous to him and that so many people are donating to his cause makes me at least a little happy.

Hevari

Drivers start your engines!
On the Ice
Best wishes to Josh...

But... is that crazy quad-fever is what the sport of figure skating really need? Doesn't it seem that the price is now to high to let the quad-fever continue?

musicfan80

Medalist
Best wishes to Josh...

But... is that crazy quad-fever is what the sport of figure skating really need? Doesn't it seem that the price is now to high to let the quad-fever continue?

It's not just the quads that are risky for concussions. Any fall on anything on the ice can potentially cause a concussion. Even Lucinda Ruh ended up having issues because she did all that spinning and it was primarily in one direction.

And really, it's the pairs' elements that are by far the most frightening - the lifts and throws are insanely dangerous when you think about what the man and woman are doing. I sometimes have a hard time comprehending taking the risks. :eek: