Karen Chen | Page 16 | Golden Skate

Karen Chen

saphire

On the Ice
Darn - no news on the possible Karen - Alex alliance yet? I keep hoping there will be something every time I come online. Alex would be great for helping Karen with her jumps. An added bonus - Karen would be an inspiration to many of the young ladies at the rink. YMMV

Still haven't heard anything. I had hoped Karen would choose Alex.

nguyhm

On the Ice
That would be my hope as well since Karen's jumps could be beautiful when done right (not under rotated). May be she will work with Tom Z. now that she will be in Colorado.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Would love for her to really shake things up, and for me that means going to Alex. Colorado seems like a change of scenery (which is sometimes very helpful), but I wonder if she could benefit from Alex's tough love approach. Just speculating. That style might not work for her at all.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Some fans have wanted Karen to go to Raf for help with jumps - but some thought that Raf’s teaching style might be too tough. Not sure how Alex’s ‘tough love’ approach would compare with Raf’s ...

Wherever Karen ends up going - hope she will be able to improve her jumps :)

Izabela

On the Ice

All in all, a move to Ouriashev will probably be a good thing for her. He can help her polish her jumps and hopefully be consistent on landing them. Karen Chen is such a great talent and it would be a shame to have it not be seen or rewarded in the international arena because of her inconsistencies.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I just watched TSL discussing Karen’s try-out with Ouriashev.

Is he really that super strict/harsh?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Would love for her to really shake things up, and for me that means going to Alex. Colorado seems like a change of scenery (which is sometimes very helpful), but I wonder if she could benefit from Alex's tough love approach. Just speculating. That style might not work for her at all.

Again, Tom Z is no different with tough love method.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
I just watched TSL discussing Karen’s try-out with Ouriashev.

Is he really that super strict/harsh?

I feel like she needs someone harsh... Tom Z may not be "different" in the tough love but I still don't understand how they allowed her to change programs 100x times last season....

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I feel like she needs someone harsh... Tom Z may not be "different" in the tough love but I still don't understand how they allowed her to change programs 100x times last season....
Well that would’ve been on Tammy, not the others.

sheetz

Record Breaker
If finances are an issue then I wonder if it would be more economical for Karen to have Marina as her main coach with occasional visits to Alex O for jump training. That way she could at least share living expenses with her brother.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
No, that would not help her in any way. Her technique would actually get worse, not better. Marina is not equipped to train a singles skater, just ask Patrick Chan and others, who got worse technically after working with her for a short time as their "coach".

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
from this article about Shoma and Alex Ouriashev - sounds like he is very good at coaching jumps: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017/08/22/249936070/uno-ouriashev-prove-to-be-winning-combination

Uno put both the quad flip and quad loop into his repertoire last season. In April 2016, at the Team Challenge Cup, he became the first skater to land a quad flip in competition. He went on to do 18 quad flips in the 2016-17 season (one each in every short program and free skate), getting full base value on all 18 and positive Grades of Execution (GOEs) on nine -- including both he performed at worlds.

He had tried quad loops two years earlier, and after showing video of those attempts to Ouriashev, the two began refining the jump. Uno tried his first one competitively at the 2017 Four Continents Championships -- and earned a stunning +2.43 GOE.

Creating that quad prowess led Uno to begin working with Ouriashev, who coached Gracie Gold to the U.S. junior title, a world junior silver medal and a second-place finish at the 2013 U.S. Championships before she left to join Frank Carroll in the fall of 2013.

"We were looking for a jump coach," said Uno's mother, Junko.

One of her son's Japanese coaches, Mihoko Higuchi, had been impressed with Gold's jumps and wanted to see if Ouriashev was interested in teaching Uno. At the request of Uno's agent, Koji Ohama, skating agent/impresario Ari Zakarian called Ouriashev to sound him out.

Uno first came to the Chicago area, where Ouriashev has taught for two decades, in the summer of 2016. That would also be the first of the four visits Uno made to Ouriashev last season.

"It was a huge surprise when they asked me," Ouriashev said. "I am not like top level of world coaches and U.S. coaches."

sheetz

Record Breaker
I thought Rohene already choreographed a SP for her. Did she change her mind already? LOL Although I guess a SP can be easily adapted to a show program.