Kazuki Tomono | Page 81 | Golden Skate

Kazuki Tomono

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Kazuki's semifinal battle on the USFed Gala Madness challenge is on! Please vote for him if you can!
https://twitter.com/USFigureSkating/status/1238223350712975366

I asked around, unfortunately they go with the ranking after dropping the 2017/18 points :( Which means, it's possible that Kazuki's position in the rankings will drop a bit. But the good news is that his SB is really good, and it seems they consider SB first instead of world rankings. So I still think he's in a good position to get two assignments :pray:

Sorry you lost your money on the Luxembourg journey - hey, if you had the tickets for CDP, maybe we can get a refund since it's been cancelled? I emailed them about that through that form of theirs. Agh, how I hope the world (and our families and budgets) will be okay enough for us to go cheer for Kazuki in the new season!
At least you're likely safer than you would be had you traveled!

I suppose it takes a twitter account to vote for Kazuki? I can't participate if so. But I'd pick him over Yuzu (hard choice but still) as he's such a great entertainer and it's always such a joy to watch his upbeat galas.

Has anyone posted a simulation yet of what the top 50 would look like once the 2017/18 points are dropped?

Also, I hope to see some Kazuki quotes floating around on the internet today, as the Quadruple magazine gets released today, no? :)

khtmyzr

Final Flight
I asked around, unfortunately they go with the ranking after dropping the 2017/18 points :( Which means, it's possible that Kazuki's position in the rankings will drop a bit. But the good news is that his SB is really good, and it seems they consider SB first instead of world rankings. So I still think he's in a good position to get two assignments :pray:

I did the calculations. If I did the math right, Kazuki will be 27th in the ranking they dropped the points. The 8 guys that will move ahead of him are Danielian, Camden, Tomoki, Brezina, Gumennik, Siao Him Fa, Mozalev and Yuma. Some questions come with this: is Brezina continuing? are all the juniors moving up to senior?

Really hope they do go with SB instead of world rankings. After doing the calculations, I realized how different the ranking can turn out to be with those would-be points from the WC.

Has anyone posted a simulation yet of what the top 50 would look like once the 2017/18 points are dropped?

Not sure if I did it correctly but here you go - the ranking up to Kazuki.

1. Yuzu
2. Samarin
3. Dima
4. Nathan
5. Matteo
6. Jason
7. Grassl
8. Morisi
9. Shoma
10. Jun

11. Boyang
12. Keegan
13. Aymoz
14. Nam
15. Deniss
16. Danielian
17. Camden
18. Keiji
19. Brezina
20. Petr Gumennik
21. Tomoki
22. Vincent
23. Adam Siao Him Fa
24. Andrei Mozalev
25. Yuma
26. Kazuki

(apologies for the inconsistency in using First/Last names - I originally typed it just for myself so the names are just how I would refer to them in my head :laugh: )

I made three miscalculations - Kolyada, Tomoki and Samarin.
Here are the corrections:
- took Kolyada out so everyone from Brezina to Kazuki moved one spot up
- moved Tomoki down two spots
- moved Samarin up from 10 to 2, so everyone from Dima through Jun moved down one spot

Thanks RemyRose for pointing it out :)

Giu

On the Ice
Country
Italy
I think I'll be coming to this thread to cheer myself up now. Enjoy Luxembourg, Kirara! I am guessing you are leaving the UK soon. Let us know when you participate so we can at least give you a virtual wave when we cannot participate in person. I am so sad, I was supposed to be flying a mere hour from now :_( But then again, I would be glad to have sacrificed CDP if the pandemic would just go away soon. It is already affecting my earnings, and things may get worse soon. Thinking of you, Giu, I hope you and your family stay safe!

Thank you Surimi. It's not fun at all down here, I regret writing that people were overreacting two weeks ago cause I was the one who didn't understand that this virus is a real problem… Please guys, stay safe and stay at home if you can :ghug:

I don't have twitter, so I can't vote for kazuki but fingers crossed the percentage is not humiliating (of course losing against Yuzuru is not humiliating, I'm already super happy he reached the semifinals)

I did the calculations. If I did the math right, Kazuki will be 27th in the ranking they dropped the points. The 8 guys that will move ahead of him are Danielian, Camden, Tomoki, Brezina, Gumennik, Siao Him Fa, Mozalev and Yuma. Some questions come with this: is Brezina continuing? are all the juniors moving up to senior?

Really hope they do go with SB instead of world rankings. After doing the calculations, I realized how different the ranking can turn out to be with those would-be points from the WC.

1. Yuzu
2. Dima
3. Nathan
4. Matteo
5. Jason
6. Grassl
7. Morisi
8. Shoma
9. Jun
10. Samarin
11. Boyang
12. Keegan
13. Aymoz
14. Nam
15. Deniss
16. Danielian
17. Camden
18. Keiji
19. Kolyada
20. Tomoki
21. Brezina
22. Petr Gumennik
23. Vincent
24. Adam Siao Him Fa
25. Andrei Mozalev
26. Yuma
27. Kazuki

(apologies for the inconsistency in using First/Last names - I originally typed it just for myself so the names are just how I would refer to them in my head :laugh: )

I never cared about how rankings were determined until now, so I’m going to ask something stupid maybe… How come Boyang would be n.11 while Matteo n.4?
Boyang placed 5th at Worlds last year and Matteo placed 7th and in addition Matteo did not qualify for the GPF while Boyang did, and he also has a better PB. Sorry guys for the OT but I'm too curious

surimi

Record Breaker
Thanks for the list, kthmyzr! :thumbsup:

And keep yourself safe, Giu! Fingers crossed for you, your family and your country! :pray:

And congrats to Kazuki on a valiant virtual gala battle against Yuzuru himself. He didn't win, but his galas still rock. <3

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

1. Yuzu
2. Dima
3. Nathan
4. Matteo
5. Jason
6. Grassl
7. Morisi
8. Shoma
9. Jun
10. Samarin
11. Boyang
12. Keegan
13. Aymoz
14. Nam
15. Deniss
16. Danielian
17. Camden
18. Keiji
19. Kolyada
20. Tomoki
21. Brezina
22. Petr Gumennik
23. Vincent
24. Adam Siao Him Fa
25. Andrei Mozalev
26. Yuma
27. Kazuki

How did you calculate this? I have Kazuki at 24. Mozalev, Kagiyama are behind him. Kolyada drops completely out as he has no results this season and will only have 70% of last season in play so he is just outside the top 24.

My entire list is different than yours. We only have Yuzu right.

And Kazuki will get 2. I'm not sure why people think he won't. Practically everyone in the top 24 SB gets two unless there is an issue like with the Russian women from last season.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I never cared about how rankings were determined until now, so I’m going to ask something stupid maybe… How come Boyang would be n.11 while Matteo n.4?
Boyang placed 5th at Worlds last year and Matteo placed 7th and in addition Matteo did not qualify for the GPF while Boyang did, and he also has a better PB. Sorry guys for the OT but I'm too curious

Because Rizzo competes in Senior B and Challenger events. Boyang doesn't really do them so in the grand scheme, he earns less points overall than Rizzo.

For calculations for this upcoming season, if you look at the WR table, Rizzo has 10 events counting towards his WR from this season and last and Boyang only has 6. Boyang is missing points in 3 slots due to not competing at Senior Bs and Challengers plus 1 slot for finishing 9th at IdF last season.

And points earned at GPF can only replace points earned from one of your 2 GP events. So between the 3, only 2 events will count. So for example, Boyang earned 525 pts for 5th at GPF, 400 pts for winning CoC and only 236 pts for 6th place at SA. So his points for GPF and CoC count towards his WR, SA does not. Any GP placement below 8th earns 0 pts. Hence 0 pts for 9th place from last seasons IdF.

Basically, you can earn points to fill up 5 columns.

The first column is for ISU Championships (Worlds/4CC/Euros/JrWorlds) and the Olympics. Only 1 event counts, the one where you earned the highest points. For example, Boyang competed at both Worlds and 4CC last season. He finished 5th at Worlds (787 pts) and 2nd at 4CC (756 pts). Only his points from WC counts as his points earned there is higher than the points he earned from 4CC.

The 2nd and 3rd columns are for Jr and Sr Grand Prix events as well as Grand prix finals. See explanation above.

The 4th and 5th columns are for Senior Bs and Challenger events. You can do as many Senior Bs as you like, max 3 for Challengers and out of all of these only 2 of them will count. Boyang earned 300 pts for Lombardia trophy and this is his only Senior B/Challenger between the last 2 seasons.

And SB doesn't have anything to do with world rankings.

Sorry for the long explanation.

khtmyzr

Final Flight
How did you calculate this? I have Kazuki at 24. Mozalev, Kagiyama are behind him. Kolyada drops completely out as he has no results this season and will only have 70% of last season in play so he is just outside the top 24.

My entire list is different than yours. We only have Yuzu right.

And Kazuki will get 2. I'm not sure why people think he won't. Practically everyone in the top 24 SB gets two unless there is an issue like with the Russian women from last season.

Hmm I’m not sure. Maybe I misunderstood how they are calculated? This is what I did:

Kazuki
446+262+191+160+0.7*(264+324+198)
= 1,609.2

Yuma
680+255+250+0.7*(225+182+225)
= 1,627.4

Mozalev
500+315+250+300+0.7*(250+148)
= 1,643.6

Kolyada
0.7*(709+292+292+300+300)
= 1,325.1 <<< you’re right, I definitely made a mistake on my list with this one

KiraraChin

Medalist
Sooo, unfortunately Kazuki lost the USFed Gala Madness challenge semifinal against Yuzuru, 73% v 27%. It was a valiant effort, though, Yuzuru's share vote in the previous battles was about 85%. Well done, Kazuki! :agree:

About GP spots, I agree with RemyRose that Kazuki's SB puts him in a strong position to have 2 spots, even if his WS position will drop a bit after the 2017-18 points are taken out.

Actually, out of curiosity, I did my own calculations and came up with a completely different list :laugh2:
ETA: Removed list because it's completely wrong, thanks khtmyzr for the heads up :thank:

Giu

On the Ice
Country
Italy
Because Rizzo competes in Senior B and Challenger events. Boyang doesn't really do them so in the grand scheme, he earns less points overall than Rizzo.

For calculations for this upcoming season, if you look at the WR table, Rizzo has 10 events counting towards his WR from this season and last and Boyang only has 6. Boyang is missing points in 3 slots due to not competing at Senior Bs and Challengers plus 1 slot for finishing 9th at IdF last season.

And points earned at GPF can only replace points earned from one of your 2 GP events. So between the 3, only 2 events will count. So for example, Boyang earned 525 pts for 5th at GPF, 400 pts for winning CoC and only 236 pts for 6th place at SA. So his points for GPF and CoC count towards his WR, SA does not. Any GP placement below 8th earns 0 pts. Hence 0 pts for 9th place from last seasons IdF.

Basically, you can earn points to fill up 5 columns.

The first column is for ISU Championships (Worlds/4CC/Euros/JrWorlds) and the Olympics. Only 1 event counts, the one where you earned the highest points. For example, Boyang competed at both Worlds and 4CC last season. He finished 5th at Worlds (787 pts) and 2nd at 4CC (756 pts). Only his points from WC counts as his points earned there is higher than the points he earned from 4CC.

The 2nd and 3rd columns are for Jr and Sr Grand Prix events as well as Grand prix finals. See explanation above.

The 4th and 5th columns are for Senior Bs and Challenger events. You can do as many Senior Bs as you like, max 3 for Challengers and out of all of these only 2 of them will count. Boyang earned 300 pts for Lombardia trophy and this is his only Senior B/Challenger between the last 2 seasons.

And SB doesn't have anything to do with world rankings.

Sorry for the long explanation.

Thank you RemyRose :thank: now it's clear

khtmyzr

Final Flight
1. I ignored the amounts in brackets as per note at the bottom of the page: '() - points in brackets not counting for ISU World Standings in accordance with ISU Communication 1629'. I don't understand why, but that's a different matter...

For the WS, I believe they only count the 2 best scores under Championship/Olympics, 4 best scores under GP and 4 under Intl competition.
Kazuki’s Championship scores right now, for instance, shows 446, 264 and 551 across three seasons. They only count the two highest scores so 264 is currently not counted towards the total - hence it was put in the (). However, after dropping 2017/2018 scores, there will only be 446 and 264(*0.7) left so those will be the two that will be added in the total.

From my understanding, after the points from 2017/2018 are dropped, the scores in () would all count as there will only be at most 2, 4 and 4 numbers in each category any way.

KiraraChin

Medalist
For the WS, I believe they only count the 2 best scores under Championship/Olympics, 4 best scores under GP and 4 under Intl competition.
Kazuki’s Championship scores right now, for instance, shows 446, 264 and 551 across three seasons. They only count the two highest scores so 264 is currently not counted towards the total - hence it was put in the (). However, after dropping 2017/2018 scores, there will only be 446 and 264(*0.7) left so those will be the two that will be added in the total.

From my understanding, after the points from 2017/2018 are dropped, the scores in () would all count as there will only be at most 2, 4 and 4 numbers in each category any way.

Oh God, it's even more complicated than I thought, that makes my list completely invalid then :laugh:
Thanks for the clarification!

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hmm I’m not sure. Maybe I misunderstood how they are calculated? This is what I did:

Kazuki
446+262+191+160+0.7*(264+324+198)
= 1,609.2

Yuma
680+255+250+0.7*(225+182+225)
= 1,627.4

Mozalev
500+315+250+300+0.7*(250+148)
= 1,643.6

Kolyada
0.7*(709+292+292+300+300)
= 1,325.1 <<< you’re right, I definitely made a mistake on my list with this one

You are right and Kazuki now at 26.

1 Hanyu 3786
2 Samarin 3046
3 Aliev 2957
4 Chen 2880
5 Rizzo 2860
6 Brown 2844
7 Grassl 2658
8 Kvitiashvili 2651
9 Uno 2640
10 Cha 2603
11 Jin 2571
12 Messing 2487
13 Aymoz 2178
14 Nguyen 2123
15 Vasilijevs 2075
16 Danielian 1922
17 Pulkinen 1907
18 Tanaka 1861
19 Brezina 1697
20 Gumennik 1686
21 Hiwatashi 1657
22 Zhou 1653
23 ASHF 1652
24 Mozalev 1643
25 Kagiyama 1627
26 Tomono 1609

Nevertheless, Kazuki should still get 2 GP spots. I can't think of a man that hasn't gotten 2 GP from being in the top 24 SB (and he's fairly high up that list). I don't think they will give 2 guaranteed spots for the WR list b/c this is over 2 seasons were as the list for SB is for the most recent season and would make the most sense.

So what I did was gave every guy in the top 24 WR 1 GP spot and if they are in the top 24 SB they got 1 more. The guys in the top 24 SB not in the top 24 WR I gave 2 and that is still only 53 spots out of 72. Plus Kolyada's 2 for comeback skater and 6 host spots, that's 61 spots out of 72 and that's taking into account Brezina who may retire. So we have 11 spots (12 if Brezina retires) for the other skaters plus 6 host spots. So that's why I think Kazuki is honestly fine for 2. It's the guys who competed on the GP last season like Shimada, Orzel, Shulepov, etc not to mention juniors Gogolev and Phan who are in trouble of even getting 1 spot. You never want to be that low on the SB list and out of the top 24 WR.

To answer your other questions, Brezina if he is not continuing, unless his fed notifies the ISU to remove him, he will remain in the rankings (see Adam Rippon who is still listed in the WR). Same applies for Top 24 SB. The age ineligible skaters like Samsonov aren't removed either. So Rizzo for example will not move into the top 24 SB because Samsonov is ineligible.

Will all the junior guys move up? I think they will because some are aging out (Adam, Andrew T.), some it doesn't make sense after winning an adult ISU championship medal (Artur, Yuma), and Mozalev just won JrW so he goes as well. Grassl said this was his last season and Gumennik wants out of the junior sandbox. Sato won JGPF so it doesn't make sense for him to stay either. The other juniors should stay in juniors, IMO.

Sorry again for the long post. LOL

khtmyzr

Final Flight
Oh God, it's even more complicated than I thought, that makes my list completely invalid then :laugh:
Thanks for the clarification!

It indeed is complicated, I made some mistakes as well :laugh:

You are right and Kazuki now at 26.
From your comment I realized I miscalculated Kolyada, Tomoki and Samarin’s which shifted many of the rankings by one or two spots. Edited the list, I think our lists look the same now :)

KiraraChin

Medalist
Thank you, RemyRose and khtmyzr, for doing the correct math! :agree:
It's reassuring to know Kazuki will most likely get 2 GP spots because of his SB.
It's worth noting he got a lot more points this season than in the previous season! Barring any major issues, I think he'll be back in the Top 24 world rankings in no time :pray:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It indeed is complicated, I made some mistakes as well :laugh:

From your comment I realized I miscalculated Kolyada, Tomoki and Samarin’s which shifted many of the rankings by one or two spots. Edited the list, I think our lists look the same now :)

All those numbers, so many rooms for error! :laugh:

surimi

Record Breaker
I've read today on a Sota centric blog that Kazuki has been seen practicing in Nishinomiya and Sakura Yamada has some instragram story where she shows him along with the other boys? I don't know if it's true though, because I used google translate and that thing is so unreliable when it comes to translating to and from Japanese. And I thought Sakura had retired, too. Someone please verify... I cannot even access her insta story as I don't have instragram.

Giu, thinking of you guys in Italy. Not much news in our news or Yahoo today though. I hope for the best outcome :[ I don't want to be obnoxious and send any PMs when you might prefer to keep to yourself, but know that you can reach me anytime if you feel like talking. It's not like I have much to do until our country-wide quarantine passes. Except doing some spring cleaning, and penning fan letters to Kazuki and Sota, which I was originally intending to give them at CdP...

Giu

On the Ice
Country
Italy
I've read today on a Sota centric blog that Kazuki has been seen practicing in Nishinomiya and Sakura Yamada has some instragram story where she shows him along with the other boys? I don't know if it's true though, because I used google translate and that thing is so unreliable when it comes to translating to and from Japanese. And I thought Sakura had retired, too. Someone please verify... I cannot even access her insta story as I don't have instragram.

Giu, thinking of you guys in Italy. Not much news in our news or Yahoo today though. I hope for the best outcome :[ I don't want to be obnoxious and send any PMs when you might prefer to keep to yourself, but know that you can reach me anytime if you feel like talking. It's not like I have much to do until our country-wide quarantine passes. Except doing some spring cleaning, and penning fan letters to Kazuki and Sota, which I was originally intending to give them at CdP...

I believe Kazuki is in Nishinomiya because his rink is temporarily closed; I can’t imagine Kazuki without Hiraike sensei :drama: I refuse to believe that he left him without a formal farewell like Shoma did like year :shocked: besides Nishinomiya would be far too crowded with those three together…

That's really nice of you Surimi! Are you in quarantine too? Now I realize that I don't really know where you are from; though, by your preference in terms of challenger, I would say an Eastern European country; right? I usually don’t write private messages to people either, but since we’re both quarantined, feel free to write me anytime you want :ghug: maybe time will pass faster

surimi

Record Breaker
Oh, I didn't mean to imply he's switching coaches. I also think he's in Nishinomiya to practice when he cannot make use of his home rink. It's nice that the two buddies get to meet more often!
By the way, I don't know if anyone here has the Quadruple magazine, but if you don't, an English translation of some parts has just been shared by a user in Sota's fanfest. It might also be interesting for Kazuki fans as our tiny favorite has something to say there too (nothing of too much importance, but mind you, the translation is just a Sota centric selection). I thought it was so sweet how supportive Kazuki was during Sota's injury, and how Sota phoned him to tell him he'd go to Jr Worlds in his place. Aww :luv17: :sad21:

Giu, I'll PM you about the rest so we don't talk of quarantines here.

I was doing some chores today to pass my time, while listening to some songs on my PC. And when Mika started out his 'Badass', I immediately thought of Kazuki! As I listened to 'we are young, we are strong', the image of the four boys posing together from the Quadruple magazine instantly arose in my mind. And I thought I'd *love* for Kazuki to skate to this song! :love:

KiraraChin

Medalist
Stay safe, everyone! Hopefully it won't take too long for this nightmare to end :pray:

I've seen the stories and I didn't see Kazuki, but some fans were speculating he must be training there, as his home rink is closed. I'm glad to know the skaters still have somewhere to train!

By the way, I don't know if anyone here has the Quadruple magazine, but if you don't, an English translation of some parts has just been shared by a user in Sota's fanfest. It might also be interesting for Kazuki fans as our tiny favorite has something to say there too (nothing of too much importance, but mind you, the translation is just a Sota centric selection). I thought it was so sweet how supportive Kazuki was during Sota's injury, and how Sota phoned him to tell him he'd go to Jr Worlds in his place. Aww :luv17: :sad21:
Thank you, that bit was so touching :cry:

I was doing some chores today to pass my time, while listening to some songs on my PC. And when Mika started out his 'Badass', I immediately thought of Kazuki! As I listened to 'we are young, we are strong', the image of the four boys posing together from the Quadruple magazine instantly arose in my mind. And I thought I'd *love* for Kazuki to skate to this song! :love:
That song would be fantastic for an exhibition! Kazuki, if you're reading this, please consider it :laugh: