Kazuki Tomono | Page 88 | Golden Skate

Kazuki Tomono

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Last part of FS Life 21 Kazuki interview translation:

--Besides jumps what do you need to do in order to move up more?
I have the feeling that my jumps have been getting into pretty good shape this season. But having seen such a big point gap between Hanyu senshu and me with almost the same technical content in the short (at 4CC), although it was a matter of course, I became painfully aware of a lack of my skills. I try to think super positive and now realize that when my jumps are clean, they add points even when they are not as big as Hanyu's. So while I cannot catch up with him immediately, if I focus on working on skating skills and spins, I will get higher points with the same technical content (laugh). After all, my skating skills are not good enough, and my scores on the bottom (t/n: perhaps referring to the PCS) are not good at all either. I became particularly aware at the 4CC that my content was put together fine, but I needed a higher degree of perfection.

--You commented on that when you were interviewed by the media at the arena.
I felt down big time at the 4CC. Every year I’ve been told so and I’ve been working on them in practice, but I realized I needed to try harder. I get good marks on steps, but as to overall flow and skating skills, I am not quite steady on my feet. Compared to Yuma I have a long way to go. He has solid skating skills and basics and he also shows his high potential by how he uses his knees. I strongly feel that these are the things I need, and I’m glad that I noticed the differences having skated there and seen them with my own eyes

--These two require continuous effort.
This time my sensei must have been super inspired as well, and all he tells me to do is these two (laughs). Both sensei and I know what I need to do. We agree that I should train skating skills and spins. My scores will go up only If my improvement is noticeable. In order to do so, I need to try extra hard. I assume everybody is working on skating skills during the off season so I have to work twice as hard as anyone else or more. Actually I have a blast as I have a lot of things to do (laughs). I fall down sometimes while working on skating skills and go “No can do.” (laughs)

--Speaking of 4CC, during the free of Hanyu senshu you and some others like Canadian Nam senshu were visibly excited in the green room (space for the tentative top three skaters).
Ahaha! I didn’t have to be in the green room any more so I said “I’m out of here,” but Yuma-kun asked me to stay with him, so I said “okay then, let’s see him together.” I was blown away by his skate as expected. Each time I see him skate I’m genuinely amazed. It’s not the matter of his technique. He is absolutely strong. There is no question about the level of his techniques, but having his techniques as a matter of course, he is capable of taking advantage of them to the maximum extent, so he is really awesome. I suppose that having practiced and prepared for the event to the fullest, having such great techniques as well as a strong will and determination, all these are combined into such a performance. All I can say now at my level is that he is awesome and after having seen his practice and performance, I shouldn’t be satisfied with the practice I’ve been doing. Every time he makes me feel that way I can make progress, so he means so much to me. Actually, I had fun watching him at that time because he was beyond awesome (laughs).

--Then the next time I interview you, you will have brought your skating skills and spins up to the next level.
Well, I guess.....these things are so deep and difficult after all. It will probably take years. Even though I get to do well in practice, it’s still difficult to bring it in the program and do well. I have a long road ahead of me, but I am practicing so that people will notice my progress even a tiny bit and overcome my weaknesses even just a little bit. My biggest goal is the Olympics and in order to get there in time I have to practice hard and eliminate my flaws one by one. By doing so, I hope my points will skyrocket. I don’t think I can make an immediate huge improvement to the level of Patrick Chan (laughs) but I want to bring the best I can do now to the Olympics as much as possible, and that’s my goal. In order to take more advantage of my strengths I am working hard on skating skills and spins. I want to showcase these at the next competition.

...End

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
:thank: a lot, Rainbow! I think Kazuki is right, and it's SS and spins he needs to work on. But regarding performance and interpretation, he's so underscored :no:

KiraraChin

Medalist
Thank you, rRainbow! :love::love::love:

I love Kazuki's interviews, but it breaks my heart when he's so harsh on himself... I don't think comparing oneself with Yuzuru is a good idea, since Yuzuru is the GOAT and on a class of his own. Also, I hope deep down Kazuki understands he was ROBBED at 4CC, especially in PCS!

I'm all for him improving his SS and spins, just hope he does it healthily :pray:

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
I love Kazuki's interviews, but it breaks my heart when he's so harsh on himself... I don't think comparing oneself with Yuzuru is a good idea, since Yuzuru is the GOAT and on a class of his own. Also, I hope deep down Kazuki understands he was ROBBED at 4CC, especially in PCS!
Don't feel sad for him, Kirara. If you look on the bright side, Kazuki was not discouraged at 4CC. Rather, he was inspired by Yuzuru and was even more determined to be better. Here's some more translation of the interview that I want to share:

K: If I hadn’t been at the 4CC, I might be doing the same training. So during this off season, to be honest, I want to focus on skating skills and spins, even sacrificing jump training a little bit. These require a lot of training time, so I want to set aside one hour or 30 minutes for focused jump training and spend the remaining 3, 4 or 5 hours training skating skills and spins exclusively."

--Mixed zone and green room were close to each other, and all of you were really hyper and having a ball (laughs).
K: Right. I said to myself “Holy…..!” (laughs). I had so much fun watching him. He inspired me to try to be as great as he was.

--From now on I hope the younger skaters will look up to you.
K: I will be happy if someone tells me so.

KiraraChin

Medalist
Thank you so much, rRainbow! :luv17:
I really hope he feels encouraged rather than deflated by his experience at 4CC. Yes, there are still areas he's lacking, but he made amazing progress, including having the second highest score for steps (StSq + ChSq) in the free!

surimi

Record Breaker
I've just found out that Kazuki and Koshiro will have a streamed and paywalled joint online talkshow episode by the Figure Skating Life magazine on July 5. If we have users who understand Japanese here (and live in a favorable timezone), it's probably worth a try! Kazuki tweeted about it: https://twitter.com/naniwatomono/status/1273197445938208769

KiraraChin

Medalist
I've just found out that Kazuki and Koshiro will have a streamed and paywalled joint online talkshow episode by the Figure Skating Life magazine on July 5. If we have users who understand Japanese here (and live in a favorable timezone), it's probably worth a try! Kazuki tweeted about it: https://twitter.com/naniwatomono/status/1273197445938208769
Yaaaassss that should be so fun! Here's FS magazine's tweet: https://twitter.com/fskating_Life/status/1273194417357127682
Seems that Kazuki's perm is wearing off... :laugh:

There will also be an interview with Misha on 28 June, hopefully he will mention Kazuki: https://twitter.com/HitomiHase/status/1272835219066728449

KiraraChin

Medalist

surimi

Record Breaker
The Japanese organizers have stumbled upon a goldmine in the absence of shows :laugh: Next time the limit will be raised to 800, and Kazuki will still sell it out. lol!

KiraraChin

Medalist
The Japanese organizers have stumbled upon a goldmine in the absence of shows :laugh: Next time the limit will be raised to 800, and Kazuki will still sell it out. lol!

I remember at the time of the Kazuki x Keiji talk, the organisers said that the profit would go towards helping the skaters' expenses. It would be cool if it was the same for this talk with Koshiro!

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Quadruple Axel 2020 published on 6/18/20 available from these online sellers:
From USA: https://www.amazon.com/フィギュアスケート男子...3023415&sprefix=quadruple+axel,aps,374&sr=8-1
From Japan: https://www.amazon.co.jp/【Amazon-co...゙ック-Quadruple-2020シーズン総集編-希望の銀盤/dp/463590735X

Translated excerpts from the interview with Kazuki
Part 1
--Because of the nationwide state of emergency you have been unable to practice at the rink. How do you train now?
K: In addition to the basic training, I try to be physically active by jogging, doing jump practice on land and things like that so that I can keep in good shape. Besides following the plan my trainer gave me, I do core exercises as my basic training. I do exercises that I want to do and I haven’t been able to do usually. I try to be creative so that my workout doesn’t feel like a chore.

--Is there anything you’ve started to do now that you have more time?
K: I do sole wiggling exercise to give my soles a keener sense so that when I skate my feet won’t be shaky, and my body will be more stable.
--So it will change your senses when you get onto your edges?
K: Soles are connected to all other parts of your body and soles are used to control steps and spins, so I think it is important to strengthen sole muscles. Since I started personal training at Central Sports (in 2019), I used to do my workout two to three times a week, but I now do it at home every day.

--By the way, what is your subject of theses?
K: Simply put, correlation among body temperature, pulse rate, and blood flow volume during figure skating warm-up. I wanted to do some research to find out things like, in order to deliver good performance; what is the optimal value for each? Before the competition what is the best time to start warm-up to be most effective? Have I been doing things the right way? But considering the circumstances we are facing now, I don’t know if I can do it. After all, my research would be using human subjects, and my seminar instructor and I have been talking about a difficulty meeting other people for now.

...to be continued

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
...continued from the last post
Part 2

--Under the circumstances, you may sometimes feel less motivated. What do you do when you feel that way?
K: Basically, my thought is, “I cannot skate, and there’s nothing I can do about it,” so I turn my attention elsewhere. Lately I’ve been practicing jumps on land and I want to keep doing it until I can land the triple axel. Also, I jump rope. Before, I was not good at jump rope, but now I set a goal like “Today I want to work hard so that I can do a certain multiple,” and challenge myself every day. Today my goal was the triple and I somehow made it (laughs). Yesterday, I jumped rope with Taichi (Honda) over video call, and today I did it with Yuhana. Jumping rope like that is fun and not painful at all. Tomorrow I’ll aim for skipping 10 times!

--Please do your best. Next, I would like to ask you what you think about this season. How was this season for you?
K: Early this season I faltered a lot and things did not seem to gel well, but in the end I peaked at the right moment. To tell you the truth, I wanted to peak at the Japanese Nationals, but at the 4CC I was able to deliver exactly what I had been practicing for, so I think it was a good season which will lead to the next step.

--You often made a stunning turnaround in the free after falling behind in the short. Your strong mentality after you were backed into a corner was amazing

--I think you are in the middle of making your new programs for the new season. What is your plan?
K: I haven’t decided on the short yet, but the free is “Life is Beautiful” choreographed by Misha Ge. I discuss with him over the phone and we are working on online choreography.

--Remote choreo?
K: That’s right (laughs). Although we are not on ice he says “Here, you skate like this,” “Next, do this move.” That’s how we talk to each other and put the program together. It will be completed soon.

--It’s a unique idea, isn’t it! I’m looking forward to the completed work. I feel that the main character in “Life is Beautiful” and Tomono senshu have something in common. How did you pick this music?
K: When I asked myself a question about what I am good at, it occurred to me that it’s my ability to communicate with people around me and to convey my feelings. So I wanted a program such as “West Side Story” and “An American in Paris” which can convey a certain message to the audience and which brings my character to life. Therefore I asked Misha sensei “Next season I want you to choreograph the music which is in tune with my character,” and “I want to compete next season with the performance that is so me.” Then, he suggested “Life is Beautiful” saying “You may be able to express your emotions typical Kazuki way?”

--This is a sad story movie, but comical at times and tells the story of love that holds one family together. In that sense I hope the program will highlight your expressiveness.
K: After Misha sensei suggested it I watched the movie, and right away I got goosebumps (laughs). Even under atrocious conditions, the father tried not to frighten his son and interact with him in a cheerful manner, and I want to portray his character. I will express various emotions such as sadness, bitterness and joy. The music itself is so beautiful and I really love it. I would like to cherish the time spent skating to it.

....to be continued

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Last part

--”Life is Beautiful” was previously performed by Jeremy Abbott, Gracie Gold and ice dance pair Anna Cappellini/Luca Lanotte. Have you watched anyone’s performance?
K: I watched the ones by Jeremy Abbott and ice dance pair Cappellini/Lanotte. I've always really liked Abbott and I could see how well he moved his body to fit the music, and the ice dance pair skated to tell the story. Both were good examples for me.

--You said you haven’t decided on the short. What kind of genre is it going to be?
K: I haven’t picked a choreographer yet and my schedule is still blank, so it’s still up in the air. But I want a fun program.

--Your success in jumps at the 4CC must have helped you build confidence?
K: As far as jumps are concerned, it boosted my confidence. Now that I am confident about jumps, I can devote myself to skating skills and spins. For some time, I’ve had a feeling that I needed to work on these elements, but since my jumps needed more training, my practice ended up jump-centric as a result, and this process kept on repeating. But my jumps are rock solid now, and I can spend a lot of time on skating skills and spins.

--I hope you will do well. You landed the quad loop cleanly during the open practice at the 4CC. How is it progressing afterwards?
K: To be honest, (quad) loop is still difficult. It’s not yet at the level of perfection to bring it to competitions, and it’s the jump that I can only do when I’m in good form. I mastered quad toe loop and salchow, and it makes me feel that I have made great progress.

--I’m looking forward to your performances next season. By the way, you are a fourth-year college student. What do you want to do after graduation?
K: Well, it’s almost time for me to think about a career, but I am not hunting for a job, and I want to keep skating only. By any chance, I may go to graduate school, but everything is at a standstill now, and I have no idea what to do, to be honest. For the time being, this year I don’t need to go to class and I just have to submit my thesis, so I want to focus on skating.

THE END

KiraraChin

Medalist
OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH, rRainbow! :luv17:

Some really nice bits here. It's a relief to know he wants to continue focusing on skating after graduation, and the part about his workout was very interesting.
Also, I can't wait to see 'Life is Beautiful'! I think it'll be a wonderful programme.

khtmyzr

Final Flight
Thank you for your translations rRainbow! And really, thank you everyone for all the updates. It’s been a while since I come on GS - coming to Kazuki’s FF is definitely delightful in contrast to the dramas I come across on twitter.

About Kazuki comparing his SP scores to Yuzu’s - I‘m thinking of it as the better case scenario. I mean, if he is to ever to be beaten with such big score gap, it’s better to have the experience be against a no-miss program by Yuzuru. I’m glad it has made him reflect back and find the parts he should improve on.

KiraraChin

Medalist
Thank you for your translations rRainbow! And really, thank you everyone for all the updates. It’s been a while since I come on GS - coming to Kazuki’s FF is definitely delightful in contrast to the dramas I come across on twitter.

About Kazuki comparing his SP scores to Yuzu’s - I‘m thinking of it as the better case scenario. I mean, if he is to ever to be beaten with such big score gap, it’s better to have the experience be against a no-miss program by Yuzuru. I’m glad it has made him reflect back and find the parts he should improve on.
Welcome back! :luv17: That's a good point about the comparison with Yuzuru.

Found some nice pics from Rostelecom 2018: https://twitter.com/KiraraChin/status/1276825044539375617
Sadly, it seems the original IG post has been deleted, they had more pics...

There are these ones from 4CC as well: https://twitter.com/yuzu_katsuko/status/1276834811491913730

khtmyzr

Final Flight
Welcome back! :luv17: That's a good point about the comparison with Yuzuru.

Found some nice pics from Rostelecom 2018: https://twitter.com/KiraraChin/status/1276825044539375617
Sadly, it seems the original IG post has been deleted, they had more pics...

There are these ones from 4CC as well: https://twitter.com/yuzu_katsuko/status/1276834811491913730

Thank you!

Ahh I’m thinking back to 4CC and how Kazuki lit the audience up with his Free. (And desperately trying not to think of his PCS, particularly the presentation score :cry: )