Latvia JGP competitors | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Latvia JGP competitors

hanca

Record Breaker
Fedichkina has done enough to deserve one spot. If she bombs she simply won't get another.

I think she is the weakest and least consistent from the group of nine ladies who currently have one event. This is not about anything Feditchkina did a few years ago and what she deserves, but about maximising the number of skaters who have a chance to get to JGPF. If you spread 14 spots among nine skaters, only maximum of five has a chance to get to JGPF. If you handed those 14 spots to 8 ladies, six could get to JGPF.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Ohhhh, I'm so nervous. The expectations on Katia and Harley are gonna be so high. I hope they do great! But don't over-tire yourselves before Nebelhorn! *wrings hands anxiously*

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
I think she is the weakest and least consistent from the group of nine ladies who currently have one event. This is not about anything Feditchkina did a few years ago and what she deserves, but about maximising the number of skaters who have a chance to get to JGPF. If you spread 14 spots among nine skaters, only maximum of five has a chance to get to JGPF. If you handed those 14 spots to 8 ladies, six could get to JGPF.

Hey hanca, you're right. But I don't see other girls who could take her spot. I recently saw Open Moscow Cup, and except Kostornaya and Vasilieva, I didn't see any stronger skater. Tarusina (except SP from the last year) and Kurakova's programs are bad. Jumps also aren't good. I doubt that they both will beat Fedichkina. Vasilieva already has spot. It would be cool if Kostornaya will get some spot but as I said before, in the last season Panenkova also showed very good results but RusFed didn't list her. And nobody knows about Alisa's current condition. Yes, she showed low results for the local competition in St. Pete and withdrew. But if RusFed put her to the list maybe they knew something.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Who would you replace her with? With Kihira and Panenkova in this event whoever got that second spot wouldn't have much chance of finishing higher than third, which is likely too low for the final, so it seems like the Fed isn't expecting that much of Fedichkina if they stuck her there. They don't want the risk of someone they are counting on ending up third (that includes Panenkova herself if they put another of Eteri's girls there).

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker

I saw some links with Vasilyeva and she looks very juniorish. I would hardly place her above Fedichkina. If Alisa fixed her URs she is a threat to everyone with high pcs potential. I would argue she is stronger than Gulyakova unless the latter brings up 3A. But we shall see quite soon. It's hard to deny that Kitty had her ups and downs same as Gubanova.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
I saw some links with Vasilyeva and she looks very juniorish. I would hardly place her above Fedichkina. If Alisa fixed her URs she is a threat to everyone with high pcs potential. I would argue she is stronger than Gulyakova unless the latter brings up 3A. But we shall see quite soon. It's hard to deny that Kitty had her ups and downs same as Gubanova.
Vasilieva is not listed as a substitute for this event so she isn't candidate for replacing Fedichkina anyway. Strong girls don't want to go against Kihira if they can help it. Even Panenkova is probably left to face her since she is the unfavourite of Eteri's group.

madison

Record Breaker
Vasilieva is not listed as a substitute for this event so she isn't candidate for replacing Fedichkina anyway. Strong girls don't want to go against Kihira if they can help it. Even Panenkova is probably left to face her since she is the unfavourite of Eteri's group.

Why don't they like Panenkova? She was very consistent last season.:confused:

hanca

Record Breaker

Unlike Gubanova, Feditchkina already did not have decent results last season. She should have moved to seniors even without getting a GP event, and do as many B competitions as possible (like Tuktamysheva did before), to get the points needed for next year.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Why don't they like Panenkova? She was very consistent last season.:confused:
She doesn't generally get great PCS and the common view of her is "consistent jumper with not much else to show". Plus I haven't heard of her learning 3A, quads or anything else earth-shattering which would make her more exciting as a jumper.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Unlike Gubanova, Feditchkina already did not have decent results last season. She should have moved to seniors even without getting a GP event, and do as many B competitions as possible (like Tuktamysheva did before), to get the points needed for next year.

She beat Gubanova at Junior Nats, won the 2 B competitions she entered, and even though she came in 6th in Yokohama, it was after recovering from a serious injury. She still scored 165 there - higher than Gubanova just got - and many thought she was underscored. You act like she just bombed left and right when that was not the case. The Fed watched her test skates - did you? Nothing is going to change now. If she doesn't deliver, she won't get another assignment.

hanca

Record Breaker
She beat Gubanova at Junior Nats, won the 2 B competitions she entered, and even though she came in 6th in Yokohama, it was after recovering from a serious injury. She still scored 165 there - higher than Gubanova just got - and many thought she was underscored. You act like she just bombed left and right when that was not the case. The Fed watched her test skates - did you? Nothing is going to change now. If she doesn't deliver, she won't get another assignment.

Winning B competitions may sound great, but it definitely is not good enough achievement to move to seniors. And beating Gubanova at the nationals, that doesn't really prove that she skated well, that proves that Gubanova bombed. Or are you honestly saying that achieving score of 165 is a good achievement? I think for Russian lady to score 165 is quite embarrassing result.

hanca

Record Breaker
Kvartalova/Sviatchenko are out and Panfilova/Rylov are in. Two of the Russian entries here are a bit surprising ones - Akhanteva/Kolesov and Panfilova/Rylov. They should have put Zhuk/Britkov here.

Well, there are only 4 events which means that they should put two of their best four pairs in each event. Don't think either Akhanteva/Kolesov or Panfilova/Rylov are among Russian's four best pairs. I would expect that the four best pairs would be found from this group: Zhuk/Britkov, Kvartalova/Sviatchenko, Ustimkina/Volodin, Mishina/Galiamov, Boikova/Kozlovskii, Poluianova/Sopot. But now only one pair from this group got assigned here.

But who knows, maybe they looked really good at the test skate event and maybe both Panfilova and Akhanteva have at least one triple jump now.
Well, I hate to say I told you so. There is definitely something wrong with your guesswork who is the good team and who is not. You thought it was a mistake to let Panfilova/Rylov have the slot, because in your view they are the weaker pair. And yet they won the JGP event, beating Boikova/Kozlovsky and the Australians. You believ Zhuk/Britkov is a great team, yet they were pretty bad at the competition in Moscow a week ago, scoring only 129 points!
The only thing I don't understand is why the federation did not replace Akhanteva/Kolesov with Mishina/Galliamov, considering that at the competition in St Petersburg M/G scored 166 and A/K only 149. It is clear that there won't be enough spots for all those pairs, so I would be giving spots to those who do well at hone competitions. It is now second season that A/K will be the weakest pair at JGP events (unless someone manages to skate even worse).