Let's Chat About Less-Known Skaters! | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Let's Chat About Less-Known Skaters!

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Maybe not lesser known, but less familiar to more recent viewers.
Mandy Wotzel & Ingo Steuer 1998 SP to Enya "No Holly for Miss Quinn"

What a beautiful spiral sequence.
A belated thank you for posting this. My former pairs partner emailed me today saying his granddaughter, just getting into pairs herself, had watched a home-made tape of our last performance in a club show about twenty years ago. She loved the music and wanted to know what it was. He couldn't remember, and I might not have either if I hadn't just watched this video. I'd seen their Olympic performance and just had to skate to it myself -- a much simpler program, obviously! But there are certain pieces of music that just pick you up and carry you across the ice, and that was one of them. :thank:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Thanks for the explanation. I never would have guessed it; I was thinking along the lines of someone calling him "Time" or "Teem".

I actually thought the same until I stumbled across the real reason. Well, let's face it, with the way commentators frequently mis-pronounce names, that would have been a very plausible explanation. :p

Our MP's first name is Richard; he uses the common nickname in orindary life, but decided it was safer to use Richard when he ran for office!

That is a very timely story, because I spent yesterday watching a local motorbike racing event. At one stage during the day, the organisers posted a photo on their Facebook page of a former local racing star from the 60's who was in attendence. And in the caption, they called him "Richard". I have to admit that it took me a moment for me to work out that was who it was, because that was the first time I had ever heard him called by his proper name. He was ALWAYS known by the common nickname. (That is a nice phrase, by the way. I think I'll steal it. :) )

I couldn't understand why they would do that, when he wasn't known by his proper name. And then it dawned on me that there is probably some algorithm that would detect that word in the caption and flag the photo up for moderation. :palmf:

Modern technology, eh? :rolleye:

So was I. The innocence of old age, I guess (or being another polite Canadian?). I wanted to ask, but was shy about butting into what was obviously an old "in joke". :scratch2: :shrug:

Hey, some of these "in jokes" have been running for so long that it is hard to remember how they started. For example, I can't remember how the GIF of a Zamboni driver wearing a T-Rex suit came to be associated with Kim Ye-Lim.

So, if you are unsure of something, please don't feel hesitant to ask. It can help us old-timers that have forgotten, and also enlighten newer members (or, in our case, innocent minded members!) who are wondering what on Earth is going in!

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Anyone else have a soft spot for Kevin van der Perren? I don't know why - maybe because he looks sort of like a medium size footy player who strayed onto an ice rink and liked it - but he does make me smile.

Yes. And not just because he's married to the most succesful skater from Northern Ireland.

I loved Kevin's style of skating. He was so good. And so entertaining to watch.

It was just a pity that he had so many injury issues.

Who can forget this programme?

Kevin van der Perren - 2009 European Championships SP

(Nice to see Jenna as the thumbnail! :p )

That is still one of my favourite programmes. And the video that I linked to was the performance of it that earned him his Absolute Personal Best score for the Short Programme. Although he went on to win the overall 🥉 Bronze Medal at those Euros, I'm still gutted that it wasn't the 🥈 Silver Medal. He was so close to it! (Just 0.15 points behind Contesti).

But, I am so happy that he is still involved in the sport as a coach.

CaroLiza_fan

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yes. And not just because he's married to the most succesful skater from Northern Ireland.

That is still one of my favourite programmes. And video that I linked to was the performance of it that earned him his Absolute Personal Best score for the Short Programme. Although he went on to win the overall 🥉 Bronze Medal at those Euros, I'm still gutted that it wasn't the 🥈 Silver Medal. He was so close to it! (Just 0.15 points behind Contesti).

CaroLiza_fan
Yep, I have that one saved (now that's quite a costume :biggrin:)

Weathergal

Medalist
Anyone else have a soft spot for Kevin van der Perren? I don't know why - maybe because he looks sort of like a medium size footy player who strayed onto an ice rink and liked it - but he does make me smile.

That is still one of my favourite programmes. And the video that I linked to was the performance of it that earned him his Absolute Personal Best score for the Short Programme. Although he went on to win the overall 🥉 Bronze Medal at those Euros, I'm still gutted that it wasn't the 🥈 Silver Medal. He was so close to it! (Just 0.15 points behind Contesti).

CaroLiza_fan

Yep, when you mentioned him, that is one of the costumes I thought of! :laugh: He was one of those skaters who at the beginning of the season you couldn't wait to find out what he would be skating to and what costume he'd be wearing. LOL I appreciated his originality and his drive.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Wasn't there a rule back then that costumes should not be overtly theatrical? That looks pretty theatrical to me, and I wonder if he ever got a costume deduction for it. I really liked him back in the day, he was the only one doing a 3-3-3 combination iirc.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Robin Hood !

the original pirate of the Carribean !

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I'm hurt about anyone saying it's Elektra Blue's 'fault' about anything. Elektra Blue is always a joy. I might not agree with everything said, but come on. 'Fault' is not so good. I love Kevin and Jenna too.

When I used the word "fault", I didn't mean it in a bad way. I just meant she was responsible for it.

I too love Electra Blue’s cheeky comments.

Me too. She is like a breath of fresh air. The competition threads are so much more fun whenever elektra blue is joining in the posting. She always keeps us on our toes.

And she has kept me sane.

My goodness. If she reads this, she'll get a big head! :drama:

CaroLiza_fan

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
oh lord... and all of this coming from someone who barely can spell

:laugh2:
you're missing me uh? admit it. here you go: ih my firend!
You know, @elektra blue's spelling might actually be the reason this all started. She maybe posted something with his name spelt wrong, and then noticed it! :devil:

CaroLiza_fan
oh no, my mind is naturally dirty :LOL: it was literallu the first thing i though of the first time i saw his name
Hey, some of these "in jokes" have been running for so long that it is hard to remember how they started. For example, I can't remember how the GIF of a Zamboni driver wearing a T-Rex suit came to be associated with Kim Ye-Lim.

So, if you are unsure of something, please don't feel hesitant to ask. It can help us old-timers that have forgotten, and also enlighten newer members (or, in our case, innocent minded members!) who are wondering what on Earth is going in!

CaroLiza_fan
you got to ask @CellarDweller and @balabam fort hat
I'm hurt about anyone saying it's Elektra Blue's 'fault' about anything. Elektra Blue is always a joy. I might not agree with everything said, but come on. 'Fault' is not so good. I love Kevin and Jenna too.
oh gods! aren't you a cinnamon roll? thank you 😘 anyway @CaroLiza_fan is just joking, others might not :LOL: but we don't care about them do we?
I too love Electra Blue’s cheeky comments.
😘 😘 😘 😘 it's a honor
When I used the word "fault", I didn't mean it in a bad way. I just meant she was responsible for it.

Me too. She is like a breath of fresh air. The competition threads are so much more fun whenever elektra blue is joining in the posting. She always keeps us on our toes.

And she has kept me sane.

My goodness. If she reads this, she'll get a big head! :drama:

CaroLiza_fan
oh no! i don't deserve so much apreciation, i'm just a silly person saying all the silly things that cross her mind

tumblr_ovljnrfG2i1tlsda4o1_500.gif

keep it coming

Last edited:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
you're missing me uh? admit it. here you go: ih my firend!

oh no, my mind is naturally dirty :LOL: it was literallu the first thing i though of the first time i saw his name

oh gods! aren't you a cinnamon roll? thank you 😘 anyway @CaroLiza_fan is just joking, others might not :LOL: but we don't care about them do we?

😘 😘 😘 😘 it's a honor

oh no! i don't deserve so much apreciation, i'm just a silly persone saying all the silly things that cross her mind

tumblr_ovljnrfG2i1tlsda4o1_500.gif

keep it coming

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Wasn't there a rule back then that costumes should not be overtly theatrical? That looks pretty theatrical to me, and I wonder if he ever got a costume deduction for it. I really liked him back in the day, he was the only one doing a 3-3-3 combination iirc.

I suspect 'overtly theatrical' is surely one of those high-sounding Humpty Dumpty phrases that was used just so they could lower the ban on anything too outrageous. I mean the 2000s weren't the highwater mark of weird and maybe wonderful but there were a lot of strange things being worn. Kevin's costumes (and later the other Kevin's now I think of it) were fun, they didn't let their own looks rule out going OTT-style when they wanted to. I'm not saying they were bad-looking, by the way, just that sometimes the disconnect was entrancing.

Last edited:

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I must admit, I'm not 100% sure. I started posting the gif of the t-rex on the zamboni, and if I'm recalling correctly, there was a competition I wasn't going to see, due to time difference, and suddenly, it was Yelim on the zamboni in my place. I do remember a gif or picture being posted of a skating t-rex in white skates, indicating it was a woman in the costume. How it became Yelim, I don't know, but we all ran with it. LOL

270116_TrexSkating.jpg;w=660;h=371;mode=crop

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I checked him out on Wikipedia, trying to remember which British skater he'd married (Jenna McCorkell. Looks as if his parents agreed with your assessment -- his bio said they wanted him to go in for soccer/football, but he chose skating instead. :console: