Lindsay van Zundert | Golden Skate

Lindsay van Zundert

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Lindsay van Zundert is a Dutch Figure Skater. She was born on the first of February 2005 in Etten-Leur in The Netherlands. She is currently a Mavo 4 Student in Breda. She is the 2021 Celje Open champion, the 2020 NRW Trophy champion, and the 2020 Dutch National Junior champion. In 2021 there was no official Dutch Champion but she was the first of the Dutch senior ladies during the season.

ISU Bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00106940.htm
Rink Results: http://www.rinkresults.com/skater?skater_id=9242
Skating Scores: https://skatingscores.com/ned/women/lindsay_van_zundert/
Tracings.net: https://tracings.net/vanz-lind.html
Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindsay_van_Zundert
ISU Personal Bests

Personal Best Total Score175.8117.02.2022XXIV Olympic Winter Games 2022
Personal Best Score Short Program59.2415.02.2022XXIV Olympic Winter Games 2022
Personal Best Score Free Skating116.7826.03.2021ISU World Championships 2021

Competitive History

Van Zundert began skating at the age of seven. She competed at domestic Belgian competitions early in her career. In 2015, van Zundert began training under Ans Bocklandt in Courchevel, France and in Wilrijk, Belgium. In September/October 2020 she made a coaching change to Carine Herrygers and Jorik Hendrickx. In season 2021-2022 she ceased being coached by Jorik, but added Thomas Kennes to her coaches.

2019–2020 season as a junior
Van Zundert attended several training seminars both abroad in Andorra, France, and the United States, as well as domestic ones sponsored by Joan Haanappel's Netherlands Figure Skating Foundation. She went door-to-door in her home town Etten-Leur gathering donations and empty bottles for their deposits to finance her trips.

Van Zundert made her Junior Grand Prix debut at 2019 JGP France, finishing 21st. Her result was not strong enough to earn the Netherlands a spot at the 2020 Youth Olympics. Van Zundert then finished sixth at the Tallinn Trophy. She won her first international medal, silver, at the santa Claus Cup. After a fourth-place finish at the 2020 Bavarian Open, van Zundert was named to the 2020 Qorld Junior championships team. She defended her junior national title the following month. At Junior Worlds, Van Zundert finished 29th in the short program and did not qualify to the final segment.

Season 2020-2021
Due to the cancellation of the Junior Grand Prix, Van Zundert opened her season by making her senior international debut at the 2020 CS Nebelhorn Trophy, where she was the youngest competitor. She earned all personal bests to finish seventh overall. Her coach was unable to travel from Belgium and she was accompanied by Lorenzo Magri, an Italian coach she knew from training. After the competition, she announced she was leaving her longtime coach, Ans Bocklandt, to train under Jorik Hendrickx and Carine Herrygers in Eindhoven and Tilburg. In November, van Zundert won her first international title at the 2020 NRW Trophy, ahead of Josefin Taljegard and Jenni Saarinen. Her results earned her the technical minimums for the 2021 European Championships which eventually were cancelled. Van Zundert competed at several other Senior Bs throughout the season, winning medals at the Winter Star (silver) and Celje Open (gold).

Although the European Championships were eventually cancelled, van Zundert was able to earn her technical minimums for Worlds at the 2021 Challenge Cup to earn a berth on the Dutch team for the 2021 World Championships in Stockholm. As the highest ranked Dutch skater at Challenge Cup, she (unofficially) also earned her first senior national title. At the World Championships, she received a short program score of 57.72 which qualified her for the free skate in twenty-fourth position, the last skater to make the cut. In the free skate she scored a new personal best of 116.78 and moved up to sixteenth position. Van Zundert's ranking qualified a berth for a Dutch skater at the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing. This was the first time The Netherlands had qualified in the Olympic ladies' event since Dianne de Leeuw in 1976 (who was American but could represent the Dutch because of having a Dutch mother) in 1976. She remarked "I have worked so hard for it and I have given so much, it gives such a great feeling that I have achieved this."

Season 2021-2022
Van Zundert began the season at the 2021 CS Lombardia Trophy, where she placed seventh. She attempted a triple Lutz-triple toe loop combination in competition for the first time. She was eleventh at the 2021 CS Finlandia Trophy. She won the NRW Trophy for the second time, this time ahead of Lea Serena (France) and again ahead of Josefin Taljegard. Her first European Championships were a disaster, as she ended in 27th place for the SP, and so did not do the FS. A bit of redemption came at the OG, where she was the first Dutch entree in Figure Skating since 46 years, and she ended in 18th place. She was 17th at Worlds. In between the OG and Worlds she managed to become Dutch Champion at the Challenge Cup as well.

Season 2022-2023
She made a start of the season at Nebelhorn Trophy and placed 9th. Thereafter she skated at Finlandia Trophy and placed 7th. She was pleased to be invited to skate at 2 GP's and placed 11th in both. . She ended the first half of the season at Golden Spin in Zagreb, Croatia, and placed 5th.

Programs

SeasonShort programFree skating
2022-2023Pas Sans Toi by Lara Fabian, arranged by Cédric TourPirates of the Caribbean soundtrack by Hans Zimmer
2021–2022
[14]
  • Le Discours d'Arthur
  • Urgence
    by Jerome Rebotier
  • Lay It On
    by Jerome Rebotier, Jul Peciers, Rover
    choreo. by Benoît Richaud
2020–2021
[15]
2019–2020
[16]

Results

CompetitionSPFSFinal
2023 World Championships192222 (159.55)
2023 European Championships101514 (158.10)
2022 Golden Spin355 (174.81)
2022 Grand Prix de France111111 (154.09)
2022 Skate Canada91011 (160.96)
2022 Finlandia Trophy687 (164.81)
2022 Nebelhorn Trophy889 (154.31)
2022 World Championships181717 (171.39)
2022 Olympic Winter Games221618 (175.81)
2022 European Championships27-27 (FNR)
2021 World Championships241516 (174.50)
2020 World Junior Championships29-29 (FNR)
2019 JGP Courchevel172221 (126.51)
2017 Novice Volvo Open Cup222120 (68.33)
2017 Novice Coupe de Printemps1146 (76.48)
2017 Novice Challenge Cup897 (78.46)
2016 Novice NRW Trophy191112 (72.02)

Last edited by a moderator:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Lindsay is currently in Courchevel (France) at the Mishin training camp. Loena Hendrickx (her training mate) is there as well. I'm sure she'll find it worthwhile to get jump technique lessons from The Professor!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I must admit we Dutch aren't the most complimentary about our skaters. In this article for example about the one skater who managed to get an OG spot after 45 years:

It literally says that Lindsay is not the best talent in the world but she needs to work hard. Well, of course she needs to work hard. All figure skaters do. But stating she has not the best talent? I think that's a pretty negative remark about a girl who managed to grab that OWG spot at a WC (and no need for the Nebelhorn process) in 45 years. If that's not talent, what is? The whole article isn't as negative as all that, as her coach mentions that the chances are pretty high she will claim that OWG spot (in the National qualification) and that she's getting there - her scores at Finlandia were close to her PB and it's only October. But why the negative stance in the article? I thought she did well at Finlandia (she placed 11th in a deep field) and shé is such a lovely skater. Little talent? Very talented in my view. And of course she needs to work hard. Don't they all?

Last edited:

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I must admit we Dutch aren't the most complimentary about our skaters. In this article for example about the one skater who manged to get an OG spot after 45 years:

It literally says that Lindsay is not the best talent in the world but she needs to work hard. Well, of course she needs to work hard. All figure skaters do. But stating she has not the best talent? I think that's a pretty negative remark about a girl who managed to grab that OWG spot at a WC (and no need for the Nebelhorn process) in 45 years. If that's not talent, what is? The whole article isn't as negative as all that, as her coach mentions that the chances are pretty high she will claim that OWG spot (in the National qualification) and that she's getting there - her scores at Finlandia were close to her PB and it's only October. But why the negative stance in the article? I thought she did well at Finlandia (she placed 11th in a deep field) and shé is such a lovely skater. Little talent? Very talented in my view. And of course she needs to work hard. Don't they all?
Are they same about the speed skaters?

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Not that I have noticed @flanker . But then, I don't follow speed skating very much. I just was a bit flabbergasted by the title of the article 'Lindsay isn't the biggest talent, she needs to get it from working hard'.

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Despite my somewhat negative post on her so-called lack of talent, Lindsay is appreciated among the Dutch fans and Figure Skaters. She got the 'Sjoukje Dijkstra Trophy' today, a prize that is yearly awarded to a succesfull figure skater - relatively speaking. It wasn't awarded last year (because of the lack of a real season) but this year it was. Sjoukje Dijkstra (OG silver medallist 1960 and OG Gold medallist 1964) gave Lindsay the award herself. It must have been a very happy moment for Lindsay, because there is also some money involved - and funding of Figure skating is a bit of an issue in The Netherlands. There's a lovely picture of Sjoukje, Lindsay and Joan Haanappel (who has done a lot to revive the discipline in a country where speed skating is all) together in this article. It's in Dutch, but I would recommend to open the link because of the photos even if you don't understand Dutch at all (most people don't).

https://www.schaatsen.nl/nieuws/202...ndert-verguld-met-jaarprijs-kunstrijden-2021/ .

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Lindsay and Sjoukje.

Sjoukje did acknowledge her talent by the way!

Attachments

• Lindsay en Sjoukje.jpg
    Lindsay en Sjoukje.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Lindsay has safely arrived in Tallinn but without her main coach Carine Herrijgers who tested positive before departure. Luckily the assistant coach Thomas Kennes was available (and tested negative) to accompany her instead. There was a rather substantial article about this on the Dutch Skating website which also included some information about how everything is going, that Lindsay has stuck to a nice normality despite a bit of a media hype (although that did tire her somewhat) around her and also that she is looking forward to Euros.

Vemvane

On the Ice
Lindsay's post today.

Very glad she has at least one of her coaches with her - how stressful, for your main coach to be Covid positive before a major ISU championship! I hope she has a good experience at Europeans!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Lindsay is going to skate today, and the Dutch Skating website had a feature:

Summary: Lindsay is looking forward to skate at her first European Championships. Training is working well, and of course she hopes to be able to show her best. Some information about the last time she was in Tallinn (at JW). She had been ill (this was before Corona so it was just a question of feeling good enough to skate, no test stuff) and did not skate so well. Also some reminisencing about how she once managed to pay for a trip to the States and training there, by collecting bottles from door-to-door and collecting the deposits. Her whole family helped her. She starts today as the 14th skater in the SP.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Poor Lindsay. This must have been such a disappointment. Dutch Skating was quick to talk with her and her coach after the disappointing Short Programme at Euro's:

In summary:
It just happened. She doesn't know why. Usually, she has no problems with a bit of pressure, but perhaps the hype around here (in The Netherlands) has got to her a little bit after all. There were some tears, which is understandable after underperforming to such an extent. Thomas just mentioned that sometimes these things happen, everything goes fine in the practices and then suddenly it just doesn't work in the programme. There isn't always an explanation.

I feel really sorry for her. Thankfully, such a result can't take away her earlier successes this season, but it's still going to be hard for her. I truly hope she manages to turn it around before the Olympics!

Vemvane

On the Ice
Lindsay posted this on her instagram yesterday. I laughed so hard when I turned the sound on.

And here she is practicing her spins a week ago, on Olympic ice.

Good luck to her in the SP!