Loena Hendrickx | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Loena Hendrickx

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
part 2:

Q: In figure skating there is such a stereotype that it is better for an athlete to represent some serious country such as the USA, Russia, Japan. Have you come across difficulties in your own experience that Belgium is not one of those countries?

A: Yes, in the beginning it was really difficult. When you represent a very small country, you have to work hard to get to the top. Fortunately, now the judges know me, and I put a lot of effort into this. So now I am happy that people know who I am and what I am capable of.

Q: What do you think about when you see how Russian figure skaters [ladies] compete with each other in the number of quadruple jumps in the program?

A: You know it's just madness! (Laughs.) When I see how Russian girls start jumping quadruples already at the age of 12 ... It is simply impossible to believe in it. If right now imagine a hypothetical 12-year-old child figure skater, I can hardly predict when he will jump triples. And in Russia they are already doing quads at this age! Seriously, I can't figure out how this is possible.

Q: Ever wanted to try a quadruple yourself?

A: And I already did, but only with "protection". As I remember, I tried it for the first time about two years ago, but then I tore my ligaments and dropped out of the training process for several months. Then I got a kind of inflammation in the tendon - and again I lost a few months of training. Putting it all together, I got about a year. All this time, I hardly did any trainings. And when I returned to the ice, we decided to focus on triples and eliminate any unnecessary risk. I think that's why I managed to make such a good comeback last season.

By the way, this summer I also tried quads and triple axel several times. And again with “protection”, I don’t jump without it, because you have to take care of yourself - the season is too responsible. Maybe after that we can pay more attention to the quads and the triple axel. And then I will start to jump them myself.

Q: Which quad did you train? Usually, training begins with toe loop and salchow.

A: It was just a toe loop. Well, and once I jumped a quad flip.

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
part 3:

Q: Your coach is your brother Yorick Hendrix. How does it feel to be coached by someone you know from childhood?

A: This is actually a very cool feeling. Yorick is a really good trainer, very creative. And he knows a lot about figure skating. This can be seen in everything he does on the ice. I am very glad that he is part of my team.

Q: Never thought about switching to another coach? Perhaps more experienced, who led the students to medals at the World and European Championships.

A: No, actually. By the way, this summer the coach with whom I have been training since the age of four left my team. She said she had nothing more to teach me. At that moment, she was probably not very confident in her abilities - that's why she didn't want to work with me anymore.

So now Yorick and me are left. But it seems to me that everything is going well.

Q: This summer you were on an internship with Alexey Mishin. Why did you decide on this?

A: Because of the skating technique, of course. Especially because of the triple axel. I really wanted to know what he thinks about this. And to hear some advice from him.

Q: Does this mean that the Russian coaching school is really the best in the world?

A: I think yes. Russian coaches know a lot about technique and all another. At the same time, they are also constantly learning something new. This is impressive.

Q: Which of the Russian coaches can you single out for yourself?

A: Alexey Mishin and Eteri (Loena hardly pronounces the name "Tutberidze"). They have prepared so many champions ... Not one, but several, a whole series. This says a lot about a coach - when there are many famous students in his group.

Q: It seems to me that every athlete has some funny story about Alexei Mishin. Brady Tennell said that when she was with him on an internship, he called her every foiled jump "popcorn", and it amused her. Did you have something that would be remembered about Mishin?

A: I remember every time we took pictures, he stood on his toes so as not to seem short (laughs). And he constantly put his cap on me! As I later understood, he does this with everyone. It was very funny.

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
part 4:

Q: Is there anything you don't like about modern women's single skating?

A: Well, here we have to talk about the age of entry into adults (from juniors). It, of course, needs to be raised. I think this is a very good option, because it's very cool when you have a long, eventful career. Well, you know, like Liza Tuktamysheva. I am very worried about her. She's been skating for so many years and never gives up. You should know how inspiring that is.

Q: I heard you offered to make the age limit from 18 years old. Why exactly this age?

A: From my own perspective, I can say that this is a really very good age. You have already gone through puberty, through the phase of growing up ... I think that at the age of 18 you can already call yourself a real woman. Well, at least in terms of the body.

Q: Many people believe that an age limit will help reduce figure skating injuries. Agree?

A: Probably yes. Because when you don't need to rush anywhere, there is more time to properly distribute the load in training and not force it. And, of course, you start to monitor your health more carefully. There is also time for this.

Q: By the way, have you heard what happened to Dasha Usacheva in Japan?

A: Yes. I even saw it. She suffered a thigh injury. At first I read that the problem was in her ankle, but then it turned out that she had something broken in her hip. I want to wish her a speedy recovery. I know how difficult it is.

Q: We talked about situations like this, right? This is what is supposed to help avoid the age limit, or what?

A: Well, there will be injuries after 18, of course. You must be ready for this. And it happened to me. Sometimes injuries happen during training, and you simply cannot predict when and what will happen.

You won't be able to avoid this entirely, but adjusting the load during training can help a little with this. Because with a higher threshold for adulthood, you have more time to manage to achieve something in sports.

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
part 5:

Q: At the same time, you also had a serious injury at a young age. If I'm not mistaken, at the age of 16.

A: Yes, I broke my spine.

Q: How did it happen? Have you also tried to achieve something as quickly as possible?

A: All due to overtraining. I have a naturally flexible back, and the muscles, I think, simply did not have time to form and get stronger by that time. Especially in the back. Therefore, Biellmann and other positions in Layback spin gave me a huge amount of inconvenience. And in one moment - hop, and it happened.

Q: How did you get back? This is a very serious injury.

A: Oh, it was a very difficult time. They put a corset on me - from the right knee to the chest. They said to walk in it for three months. Then three more months of rehabilitation with a physiotherapist, and only then I was able to go out on the ice again. I started jumping only a month after that.

It was hard ... Plus, the trauma was superimposed on the first year, when I could go to the adult world and Europe championships. But, of course, everything had to be canceled.

Q: Tell me, how many triple jumps do you do in one workout on average?

A: Wow, these are the questions you ask ... I need to think ...

Q: Well, 100-200?

A: What are you saying? (Laughs.) We slide a lot, skate pieces of programs, relax on the ice. So that's probably about 50 jumps per workout.

Q: I asked about this, because the Russian junior Sofya Samodelkina once told me what she does for training up to 500 jumps.

A: How many?!

Q: Well, yes. Can you imagine a similar volume of loads applied to yourself?

A: Oh ... Honestly, I can't even imagine. I don't think my body will allow me to jump that much. My whole body ached when you mentioned that number (laughs).

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
part 6:

Q: In Russia, it is customary to think about European coaches that they are quite loyal and gentle, they never force their students through force. Is it true?

A: I think yes.

Q: Do you have any idea of Russian coaches in Europe? For example, about Alexei Mishin or Eteri Tutberidze? Let's say that Eteri is strict, and Mishin, on the contrary, is loyal or something like that.

A: Honestly I do not know. But in general, I will say this: any coach must be moderately strict. Even so: strict in his style. At the same time, you need to know when to stop, because the student should be comfortable with the coach. The athlete is obliged to enjoy the process.

Q: There is something else I would like to ask about comparing Russia and Europe. I often hear that European athletes are not at all like ours. You know, Russians are more fixated on medals and victories and start to go a little crazy because of this, and in Europe the main task is to enjoy the very process of performing. This is true?

A: For Europeans, yes. For me - that's right. I remember all these injuries that I had to go through ... I think I was able to cope with it because of my love for figure skating. So I really would like to enjoy it.

On the other hand, I also want to train hard and win medals, like at the Italian Grand Prix. It was just amazing ... So I think if you can combine the pleasure of the process with the result, it will be a very cool combination.

Q: Does it help or, on the contrary, hinder? In Russia, there is an opinion that sports should be taken seriously, otherwise it will be difficult to achieve results. We even have the expression "to go to the start as to a war."

A: Well, of course you have to take sports seriously. On the other hand, you can't jump over your head, right? So you just have to do what you have to do. But not to the detriment of the pleasure of the process.

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
part 7:

Q: It is believed that Russian figure skaters are progressing primarily due to internal competition. Does Belgium even have it?

A: Not really ... We have a cool junior girl - Nina Pinzarrune. She is very good for her age, but the rest ... No, I don't think so.

Q: Yes, I saw that your country sometime don't have three participants [for international competitions].

A: Yeah. There is only one other girl besides me.

Q: Sometimes I hear that figure skating in Europe is almost dead. Do you think this is so?

A: Yes. Take Belgium for example. We have no support from the federation. You have to do everything yourself, pay for everything yourself. If the guys were helped, well, at least with paying for training camps abroad and with trips to international competitions, our sport would become a little ... More, perhaps.

Q: Can a skater be popular in Europe now?

A: This is a really difficult question ...

Q: Well, for example, do people recognize you on the streets?

A: I have my photo pasted on my car, so ... (Laughs.) In general, if I drive, someone will know. And just on the streets - I don't think so.

Q: Even after finishing fifth in the World Championship?

A: Nop

Q: Why? This is a really serious achievement.

A: Honestly, I don't even know. After the World Championship, I got into newspapers and TV news for the first time, and that was already a huge achievement (laughs). And what about the streets ... Maybe the problem is that in my everyday life I don't bother with makeup as much as I do at competitions. Without it, I probably look a little different.

Q: Is this your favorite tournament of your career?

A: Yes, one of the favorites. At that time I was just recovering from serious injuries, and the World was the first major tournament after all this. I wanted to understand if I could be at the same level as before. But in the end it turned out that in fact everything is even better than before.

Q: What needs to be done to make figure skating popular again in Europe?

A: Probably set up more training camps to attract the attention of adults and young children. Well, in schools they could instill a love for figure skating. For example, going to ice rinks or something like that.

Q: In Russia, people believe that various scandals played a major role in the popularity of figure skating. I don't know if you heard it or not, but last season the story of the confrontation between the coaching schools of Evgeni Plushenko and Eteri Tutberidze thundered. Before that, there was the story of Alina Zagitova against Evgenia Medvedeva. Do you think something like this could have happened in European figure skating?

A: Perhaps, but I don't think it would have helped us in any way. In Russia, figure skating is much more popular than in Europe, so stories like this are captivating a large number of people. In Europe, they would just fly by and go unnoticed.

Q: Do you think it would not help your country to raise popularity of figure skating?

A: Well, you know what they say: bad PR is PR too. But I would like more positive news stories in our sport.

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
part 8 (last):

Q: I don't know if you have any idea about this, but in Russia you have many fans. You have already performed in our country several times, what are your impressions?

A: Oh, I still remember the European Championship [2018] in Moscow. It was just amazing, besides, I also did a good free skate. And the audience was so noisy! Probably the noisiest and biggest audience in my memory. Except for Japan, maybe they are just amazing there.

Q: What result can you praise yourself for at the 2022 Olympics? Is there a specific goal in your head as a benchmark for success?

A: I think the main goal is to get an Olympic diploma. So if I get into the top 8, it will already be a great result for me. And if I also skate cleanly and can enjoy my performance, it will be something great.

Q: Your appearance on ice is really amazing. Who designs all these incredible dresses?

A: This year we wanted something new. Previously, all my dresses were made by my former trainer, but now we wanted to try something special, more detailed. We searched for images on Instagram, searched all social networks. When we found what we needed, we sent the photos to a Finnish company to make us a design. Then they sent us sketches for revision - and this is how my dresses for this season appeared.

Q: I can not saying that. An extravagant dress for a free program is just a bomb.

A: Oh, it's my favorite too (laughs).

Q: What do fans need to know about you? Besides, how do you appear on the ice. What do you like to do in your free time, what kind of music do you listen to, what do you value in people?

A: In terms of music, it's probably pop, which is played on the radio. I listen to him most often. I also like Andrea Bocelli ... and I'm also a huge Celine Dion fan! (Laughs.)

In my free time I like to paint my nails. Actually, you know, I even studied for it. Since this summer I fell in love with golf - I play it to relieve stress. I also love children very much. When I finish skating, I want to become a kindergarten teacher.

Q: Your brother competed at the Olympic Games in Sochi, where you will soon go to the Grand Prix stage. What did he tell about this city and about the Olympics in general?

A: He very often recalled that Olympics. He said that there was just a huge Olympic village - much larger than in Pyeongchang. He had to cycle to the rink ... I think it was an amazing experience for him. And I am very glad that I will have the opportunity to see that Olympic skating rink with my own eyes and compete in Sochi.

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
I cannot agree with Loena on the issue of age restrictions, but in general she leaves a very pleasant impression both on the ice and in this interview.

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
Thank you so much @Alex Fedorov . I really appreciate this

That was a really nice interview. And a rather long one too.
so funny - when I'm finished, this interview appeared on fs-gossips:

and in my opinion, this is also a reverse translation. Can be compared to my amateur.

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
She certainly knew the field was too strong for a medal at RoC. Did it have an influence on her Free?
Next time we see her is for European Championships?

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
the fifth final place is not bad, especially considering who is in the first three places. Loena was very worried this time, and this reduced the result. Still, it's a pity that she does not have a triple axel or at least one quadruple. Anyway, she was bright in this tournament and I hope to see her in other competitions this season.