Lubov Iliushechkina & Dylan Moscovitch - ret. in Jan. 2018 | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Lubov Iliushechkina & Dylan Moscovitch - ret. in Jan. 2018

nimi

Medalist
Not a fan of Phil Collins either but this song is actually okay and I agree that it works for them. Loved the step sq choreo!

Can any Canadians here give an educated guess about how likely it is for Lubov to get her citizenship in time for Olys? Are there any hurdles she's yet to clear, such as residency requirements?

tulosai

Record Breaker
New SP: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5xgbr8
And a fancam: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5xg0vv

Thanks to my mum, I'm a little overdosed on Phill Collins, but I think the song works well for the program. And I just love they way they're moving together :luv17:

Thanks for sharing. I can't with Phil Collins either but I do like the program together. A little bummed that as always the SBS jumps seem to be a struggle but it doesn't stop my love for these two.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Not a fan of Phil Collins either but this song is actually okay and I agree that it works for them. Loved the step sq choreo!

Can any Canadians here give an educated guess about how likely it is for Lubov to get her citizenship in time for Olys? Are there any hurdles she's yet to clear, such as residency requirements?

She has her permanent residency now, which is the major hurdle as far as I know. Kaitlyn Weaver moved to Canada in August 2006 and became a Canadian citizen in June 2009. Piper Gilles moved to Canada in July 2011 and became a Canadian citizen in December 2013. Lubov moved here in June 2014.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
She has her permanent residency now, which is the major hurdle as far as I know. Kaitlyn Weaver moved to Canada in August 2006 and became a Canadian citizen in June 2009. Piper Gilles moved to Canada in July 2011 and became a Canadian citizen in December 2013. Lubov moved her in June 2014.

so it seems like it will be fine.... PR is indeed the biggest hurdle...

nimi

Medalist
She has her permanent residency now, which is the major hurdle as far as I know. Kaitlyn Weaver moved to Canada in August 2006 and became a Canadian citizen in June 2009. Piper Gilles moved to Canada in July 2011 and became a Canadian citizen in December 2013. Lubov moved here in June 2014.

Thank you for info!

TGee

Record Breaker

In fact, it seems that it may be less challenging for Lubov to move from permanent residency to citizenship than it had been for Kaitlyn.

The regular process is that it takes 3 years from landing as a permanent residence to qualify for citizenship. Lubov would be looking for an exception as an athlete at the national team level given that she's been a permanent resident less than 3 years.

In the past [i.e. Kaitlyn's time], it took a federal Order in Council [i.e. a Cabinet committee decision] to obtain an exception on the timing, but it now appears to be something that is at the discretion of the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration. There's occasionally comments in the media along the lines that she had to seek a Cabinet decision to grant her citizenship before the 2010 Olympics.

All to say that Lubov, Dylan and Skate Canada are likely being understandably discreet while the process is in train, but there is no reason not to expect a happy outcome.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
In the new interview with Ted Flett, Lubov and Dylan said they're confident that she'll have her citizenship in time for the Olympics.

slider11

Medalist
ugghhh...rough SP at Canadian Nationals. Luba and Dylan went back to last year's tango but either they weren't fully committed or just hadn't had time to brush off the rust. It even seemed from the beginning that they weren't ready for the first beat. I thought Luba had her triple jump but then she stumbled and put a hand down. The whole program just didn't have the snap and technical excellence we usually see - lots of little grabs. Let's hope they can put out a stronger LP today. I'd really like to see them at the Olympics.

slider11

Medalist
Any word on their next step competitively. I know they're at 4CCs and just skated a subpar SP. WHAT'S UP??

ChemNerd

Spectator
Any word on their next step competitively. I know they're at 4CCs and just skated a subpar SP. WHAT'S UP??

They've said they're retiring after this year. Dylan was injured in December and they just never had time to fully recover from that and get back in sync. They struggled all season and if it hadn't been for the late injury, maybe they could have pulled it together. But with the injury, switching the SP, and the challenging LP that they never seemed fully comfortable with, it just wasn't a great year for them. Sad to end on this note.

I saw some quotes that they'll keep training because they're still the Olympic alternates, but after that they'll take a rest. If one of the top three Canadian teams doesn't go to Worlds, they're apparently going to discuss together whether to go or not.