Mae-Berenice Meite | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Mae-Berenice Meite

mikeko666

Final Flight
That was a beautiful performance Mae, her best in years! :clap: John and Sylvia have been working their magic on the French skaters. Good luck in FS, too. :thumbsup:

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
She was fantastic! Fingers crossed for more of the same tonight - her new dress is glorious, too. :)

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Here is an interview of Mae (in French), done the day before her SP in Grenoble

Thank you. Do you know why Mae did not skate in the Gala. I did not watch but since have learned that she did not participate.
I find that very strange. Usually the home skaters no matter where they place skate in the Gala and I believe that
Mae is very popular judging from the response of the audience when she skated. I hope that she was invited and declined.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Maybe she's not popular into her fed....given what she had to do to get the olympic spot last season.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
As far as I remember, it was only after she'd beaten Laurine four (?) times in competition that the fed finally gave her the Olympic spot.

Laurine had a breakout year in 2016-17 while Mae was struggling with knee injuries and the Federation clearly wanted that pattern to continue - they gave Laurine a huge number of chances to make the Olympics, but her tech base was going wobblier and wobblier (partly due to her own health issues) while Mae was starting to come good again, and they just couldn't make it happen.

She's absolutely proving how wrong they were to write her off this season, her SP was fantastic and she and Laurine were pretty much neck and neck in the free, I can't wait to watch it. She's finally starting to get the PCS she deserves again, and I'm thrilled for her.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Yes. Maé had beaten Laurine at Masters, GP France and nats but fed still wanted to give Laurine a last chance to win that spot. And that was euros. Fortunately Maé got a better result there too.

DenissVFan

Medalist
Yes. Maé had beaten Laurine at Masters, GP France and nats but fed still wanted to give Laurine a last chance to win that spot. And that was euros. Fortunately Maé got a better result there too.

And they didn't even announce it publicly right after Euros, which also seemed suspicious.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks all for the info. French Fed has not treated their No. 1 lady very well. How disrespectful can they be. Now that I know this info it makes sense why she was not invited to the Gala.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Thanks all for the info. French Fed has not treated their No. 1 lady very well. How disrespectful can they be. Now that I know this info it makes sense why she was not invited to the Gala.

The French fed, aka DG, treats everyone badly with (at the moment) the possible exception of J/C. But it does seem to be the case that they're particularly harsh on their top ladies right now. Mae having to recover from years of them wanting her supplanted, Laurine dealing with the backlash from not having been able to live up to their frankly ridiculous goals (seriously, they wanted her to be on the podium at Euros last year, in Moscow, with three Russian skaters and Kostner in the mix, when she was already struggling), and Lea Serna just endlessly struggling to make her mark. And now Julie Froetscher will be in the firing line too, as she's having a bit of a resurgence and placed third overall. It really is awful how they treat their skaters, and it's undeniable that Mae has caught some of the worst of it after Bruno Massot and Chafik Besseghier. It's hard not to suspect that, for all the French Federation is surprisingly good about encouraging diversity, racism plays a role in hat.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
And that's surely why everyone is leaving for USA.
DG just seems like a dictator.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
And that's surely why everyone is leaving for USA.
DG just seems like a dictator.

I think that has more to do with better coaches being in the USA. They’ll all still have to deal with him even training in the USA.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm so happy for Mae putting out such a good performance at Euros this year! She's not happy with it herself - she just posted about it on Instagram - because she didn't reach her goal (which was podium/top 5), but she was so close! And both her SP and her FS were gorgeous. It's wonderful that people get the chance to see what a beautiful skater she is again now that her knee issues are healed up.

It is such a shame that she and Laurine can't both go to Worlds, but as Laurine placed higher overall it's likely the Federation will send her. But the two of them combined won France a third spot in Ladies at next year's Euros, which is awesome, and I hope DG is extremely grateful to them both after he pulled that rotten stunt of not even inviting them to perform in the gala of their home GP.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Yeah what was that Gala thing all about? I couldn’t believe it when I saw the list.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I have no idea - nothing was ever said. But this being DG, it's not hard to assume the worst.