Matvei Vetlugin | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Matvei Vetlugin

icewhite

Record Breaker
He really looks like "the next Kolyada". In terms of lines, ease, posture, hair and complexion...
I hope he will have more luck with the jumps in his career.

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
He really looks like "the next Kolyada". In terms of lines, ease, posture, hair and complexion...
I hope he will have more luck with the jumps in his career.
I think his style is different from Misha.

As for jumps, I want to see him after a full off-season and training camps, and not as it turned out this year because of surgery. Maybe he will be able to be in good shape next year.

He also has problems with the levels. He has a judge certificate, he knows the rules, but he still messes up non-jumping elements.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
I think his style is different from Misha.
Yeah... actually I like his posture and lines more than Misha :slink: He is more emotionally open (which might be a reason for his inconsistency).
I don't know if you remember Joshua Farris (closest rival of Jason Brown when they were young), but Matvei's carriage reminds me a little of Farris, light and natural. Here's an example of Joshua's skating that comes to mind:
To me although Kolyada's style is overall polar opposite to Brown, they both carry themselves in a way I would describe as 'carefully placed' (detractors might call it rigid). Matvei is more free-flowing. I think comparisons with Misha have just become more common since they now share the same coach. And maybe Matvei's style will change with more time in Mishin's camp, who knows.

Back to Russian Cup Final - I liked Matvei's FP better in the earlier stages when it had the 'Oriental rock' bit 😅 Wonder whose idea it was to change the music. Maybe there is a strategy behind it. I hope one day he gets to skate to Eastern music like he wanted, whether that's Far East martial arts soundtracks or Near East (like Aleksandr Selevko's SP this season), both would be awesome. Maybe in a gala where he doesn't have to worry about scores...

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Channel One has restored some videos from the deleted channel.

Matvei's bronze FS at Russian Cup Final 2021/22.

icewhite

Record Breaker
I just saw this guy doesn't have a wiki page, neither in English nor in German. Maybe someone wants to change that. :)

niks

On the Ice
Matvei has also worked at a synchronized skating competition

I would safely guess that Matvei is probably the youngest one in the whole judging / technical panel but he looks so serious and professional in this video, like if he had lots of experience :biggrin: There are definitely many sides of Matvei. Good for him!