Mira Leung next season: Thoughts & Opinions? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Mira Leung next season: Thoughts & Opinions?

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
The question is whether Mira will go to Brian Orser for help with her technique.

In response to the comparison between Joannie Rochette and Mira Leung, Joannie is well aware of her shortcomings and working to find the missing pieces of puzzles in order to get herself onto the podium. It seems to me that Mira doesn't have the same kind of awareness in terms of where she stands.

Winnipeg

Final Flight
Why exactly would Orser's coaching of Kim affect whether he took Mira on or not. Coaches need more than one skater to make money and a career out of coaching. If Mira is not a threat to Kim in terms of being a podium or top ten challenger then surely that is even more reason to say that him coaching her would not affect the coaching of Kim at all.

Nah, Ms Lacost is positivley ghastley, she once kicked a puppy.

Ant

Kicking a puppy is horrible......................mean and cruel :mad::mad::no::scowl:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I could see Orser taking on Leung if Mira realized that she needed to change her basic skating, and went to Orser asking him for help in 'making her over' into a strong competitor.

But Mira and her mother apparently have quite a different view of the function of a coach in Mira's training, and from Mira's own statements, she believes she has everything she needs to move up in the World standings.

I don't see Orser taking on Mira if Mira went to him and said "coach me so I, too, can win a medal at Worlds"---as if that is all that is needed for her to medal.

nadster

Final Flight
Personally I would love to see Mira make a coaching change as I don't think Joanne Mcleod is the best at addressing flaws even if Mira was willing to admit to them. ( which she isn't right now)

However, the coaching change will work only with a change in attitude from Mira and her mother being driven out of the picture.

The best example of Joanne's inability to address flaws is with Kevin Reynolds. When Kevin competed junior at nationals he finished behind Patrick Chan despite Patrick falling 3 times in the long program that year. Kevin skated very well but it was very apparent even then that his basic skating skills and presentation were way behind standard even then. Since that time she has Kevin doing quad-triple-triples but precious little has been done to address his much bigger weakness in the component scores and his axel technique as well ( axel technique a very common weakness among Mcleod's students)

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Personally I would love to see Mira make a coaching change as I don't think Joanne Mcleod is the best at addressing flaws even if Mira was willing to admit to them. ( which she isn't right now)

However, the coaching change will work only with a change in attitude from Mira and her mother being driven out of the picture.

The best example of Joanne's inability to address flaws is with Kevin Reynolds. When Kevin competed junior at nationals he finished behind Patrick Chan despite Patrick falling 3 times in the long program that year. Kevin skated very well but it was very apparent even then that his basic skating skills and presentation were way behind standard even then. Since that time she has Kevin doing quad-triple-triples but precious little has been done to address his much bigger weakness in the component scores and his axel technique as well ( axel technique a very common weakness among Mcleod's students)

I think there is definitely a problem with Joanne and the Centre for Excellence makeup of coaches. When you look at the list of coaches on their website, there are quite a few who can help with the artistic side of skating, but not with the technical aspect. Tracy Weinmann is the only relatively high-profile coach that I can think of who has some knowledge in jumps. No wonder all the skaters from the BC are weak in lutz and axel.

jp1andonly

Rinkside
ummmm..tracy Wainman doesn't coach in BC...she's based out of YRSA

I think there is definitely a problem with Joanne and the Centre for Excellence makeup of coaches. When you look at the list of coaches on their website, there are quite a few who can help with the artistic side of skating, but not with the technical aspect. Tracy Weinmann is the only relatively high-profile coach that I can think of who has some knowledge in jumps. No wonder all the skaters from the BC are weak in lutz and axel.

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
I guess I am wrong,

I heard that Joanne McLeod hired Tracey to run ongoing programs in York Region. Can you clarify on that?

jp1andonly

Rinkside
I don't think so though I could be wrong. My brother only took from Tracy and Gregor for a short time. She is starting to see real results with her skaters. As far as I know, Joanne has no connections to YRSA (perhaps she suggested Tracy to the board of directors) and that the Board of directors is in charge of who stays and who goes

I guess I am wrong,

I heard that Joanne McLeod hired Tracey to run ongoing programs in York Region. Can you clarify on that?

passion

On the Ice

Just curious. If there are quite a few coaches who can help with artistry, do people feel that their efforts are translated in their skaters at the Centre?

For instance, Kevin Reynolds, Mira Leung...maybe not. But what about other skaters at the Centre of Excellence?

Last edited:

passion

On the Ice
I don't see Mira and her mother relocating to Southern California, and I don't see Carroll even considering taking Mira as a student.

How about Manon Perront? She did well with Joannie Rochette. Wouldn't that be something? Manon Perront and Mira Leung. Mira Leung needs a no nonsense coach who will not let her have her way and get away with things!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How about Manon Perront? She did well with Joannie Rochette. Wouldn't that be something? Manon Perront and Mira Leung. Mira Leung needs a no nonsense coach who will not let her have her way and get away with things!

The problem is the "things" are what Mama Leung wants Mira to do, and Mama won't put up with a coach who countermands Mama's instructions. OTOH, there are precious few coaches who will put up with Mama Leung's interference. That's why Mira's development as a skater has stagnated.

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Manon is a busy coach. She already took on Myriane Samson and also works with Richard Gauthier for a number of pairs' teams.

Besides, being coached by Manon implies moving to Quebec and being totally immersed in French speaking environment, I don't know how Mira will handle it.

passion

On the Ice
Manon is a busy coach. She already took on Myriane Samson and also works with Richard Gauthier for a number of pairs' teams.

Besides, being coached by Manon implies moving to Quebec and being totally immersed in French speaking environment, I don't know how Mira will handle it.

Well, I don't think the language thing is an issue. Mira does speak French. She did an interview in French once. And Manon does speak English, too.