Mitsuki Sumoto | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Mitsuki Sumoto

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Part 3:

--I see the ice rink was your play area as well. What you two have in common is beautiful skating. What are the secrets of skating that you have built up since childhood?
M: I also want to hear how Sota became so good at gliding so smoothly.
S: I guess when I skate I keep in mind, "Make one glide longer", "Don't change my feet until I lose speed", "Widen my stride" and "Move forward as much as possible." But I can't be so conscious during the program, so I cannot control my speed, and there were times I hit the fence mid-air when I jumped [laughter]. I was going too fast when I was little.
M: I know! When I was in Novice and Junior rank, I was scared of the fence.
S:: When we lost control at high speed, that’s how it was, wasn't it?
M: My Jump axis got tilted and my body got thrown into the air. I was scared to death.
S: I know. I know.
--Sumoto senshu has often said in interviews, “Sota was a good example for me.”
M: Yes. Since I was little, I’ve watched Sota feeling, “I can never be better than him at skating skills,” and “he is way above my level.”
S: Ahaha [laughter]. I moved to Nagoya (Howa Sports Land) and at that time Mitsuki was still training double jumps.A little later, we competed together at the Junior GPS Colorado (2015).
M: That’s when Sota was in his 1st year of high school and I was in the 3rd year of middle school.
S: At that competition Mitsuki landed triple-triple combos quite easily. When I saw it I admired him for getting so much better!
M: When Sota moved to Nagoya, I was still jumping with a wrapped leg. I couldn’t even land double jumps yet.
S: Yeah, because I didn’t know the stages of his improvements, I was surprised to see him for the first time in a long time, and I learned a lot from watching him as well.

- to be cont'd

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Part 4:

--At that time, what did you learn by watching Sumoto senshu?
S: His stable skating and jumps. Around that time I was working on adding a quad and triple axel in the second half of the program, and my performance was falling apart a bit. But watching Mitsuki who delivered a solid performance with good quality triples, I realized that I had to aim for a stable performance. Later, when I was sitting out seasons because of injury, Misuki was at Junior GPS (2017 Latvia 1st place) and watched him skate his free “Les Miserable” and I was impressed by how well he skated. So I sent him a LINE message, “I was blown away!”
M: Your message made me really happy.
S: Even today Mitsuki’s edge work and such are good examples for me, and I learn by watching him skate.
--How do you feel about Sumoto senshu’s comment that watching Yamamoto senshu has helped him improve?
S: Usually we hardly ever talk about that sort of thing, so I’m glad to hear that for the first time. But as I probably said before, I have never thought I am a skilled skater. Rather, I think Mitsuki is better than me.
M: No. When Sota came back in 2017 after injury, I watched him skate for the first time in a long time, and I felt “He is good. I cannot beat him after all.” I had won the Junior GPS and took the 3rd at the (JGP) Final and had started to feel I managed to catch up with Sota, but then I realized I was wrong.
S: Nah, that’s not how it was.
--You two have a mutual respect for each other's strengths.
M: Looks like we inspire each other.
S: I guess so. We don’t usually keep in touch regularly, so we don’t get to talk to each other often, but we inspire each other and learn from each other. I guess that’s where we share the same traits and personality.
--That is great indeed. One more thing you have in common is that you two have stated that Yuzuru Hanyu senshu is your role model. What was your impression of him at the Nationals?
S: I had a chance to practice alongside him during the practice the day before the competition, official practice for the short as well as the free. During the practice the day before, I watched Hanyu-kun’s moves closely, and I was able to skate in a very pleasant atmosphere. But after my skating order turned out to be right after Hanyu-kun, I decided I should absolutely avoid watching Hanyu-kun skate. I really wanted to watch him, but I suppressed my urge [laughter]. During his performance, I kept telling myself, “Don’t look at him. Don’t look at him,” and restrained myself [laughter]. I learned to get into the short program with composure, and it was a good experience.
M: I see.
S: I was the first to skate the free program, and Hanyu-kun was the last, so I watched him closely. His run-through during the official practice was flawless and he performed the way he did in practice.
M: I could only see his short program live, but when I saw him skate for the first time in a long time, he took my breath away. I had gone to Sendai (Ice Rink Sendai) last summer for choreography (for the free), and I heard later that Hanyu-kun was practicing at midnight. When I thought about him practicing by himself at midnight while I was in Sendai, I was really impressed. If I were in his position, I would absolutely not be able to keep motivated and my jumps would fall apart. I mean, who wouldn't?
S: Right. Even at the first competition of the season, with new programs and having practiced all alone, he still performed with such a high level of perfection. I have an enormous respect for him.
M: He did so remarkably well in first outing of the season. He is really amazing. Sota competed with Hanyu-kun when you were a junior?
S: Yeah.
M: When I went to the (JGP) Final, Hanyu-kun couldn’t make it because he was injured. So I have seen him live only three times before. Every time I see him, I respect him even more.
S: In competition, he is considerate of us all.
M: In the backstage he says something to skaters who have finished performing.
S: Right. In competition athletes tend to shut themselves off from others, but Hanyu-kun does that while being thoughtful of others and kind to everyone, so he is extraordinary. Watching him doing that makes me think that I have to become like him as a human being.
M: Agree. I want to become someone like him.

to be cont'd

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Last Part of the translation:

--What did you think about his short and the free?
M; He used rock music for the short for the first time in a while, and it was cool.
S: I was like, “Wow! Here comes a rock program for the first time in ages!” His free was a Japanese program which suits his style, and the only words popped up in my mind were “Amazing,” “Beautiful” and “He can perform so beautifully.”
M: I know what you mean.
S: He is really the epitome of beauty. That program showed the beauty of Japan and the beauty of Hanyu-kun so much. He was out of this world. His free skate was so incredible.
M: You know, it was like an evolution of “SEIMEI.” Until that time I thought there would never be a program greater than “SEIMEI,” but after seeing Hanyu-kun’s free, in my book ‘Heaven and Earth” topped it.
S: I have done Japanese programs such as “Nobunaga Concerto” and “Tenchijin (Heaven, Earth and Man)” in the past, but after seeing Hanyu-kun’s free, I wanted to skate to the music like that. I also re-watched his video many times to learn from him.
M: Me, too.
--Next, please tell us what you think about your own performance at the Nationals.
M: In both the short and the free, I couldn’t show at all what I was capable of in practice, and I was really disappointed. Throughout this season, I have been unable to perform well. I was dropped from the supported skaters list, and now I am not saddled with anything. I want to think positively and I’m going to go all out next season.
S: This season Mitsuki has been suffering from hip pain and got sick right before the NHK Cup. He has gone through such hard times, and yet he made it to the Nationals and did all he could, so I think he powered through it. It has been such a trying year for him. Compared to that, I didn’t get seriously injured or sick, but I was mentally tired and I was having a hard time controlling my body the way I wanted. I somehow made it through the short, but in the free, I suppose my mental fatigue affected my performance. However, being able to skate in the final group was the best thing for me, and I learned a lot, and I want to make good use of this experience next season.
--It was too bad Sumoto senshu got sick right before the NHK Trophy.
M: Until the practice one day before the competition, I was very well. But gradually my fever kept going up, and after consulting with other people, I decided to withdraw. Later it turned out my fever was not caused by the coronavirus, but when when the decision to withdraw was finally made, I cried my head off, because It was supposed to be my first senior Grand Prix and I had been looking forward to participating. I felt bitterly disappointed so much.
S: On that day, I got a short message on my phone from Mitsuki saying “Good luck,” and I had the feeling that something was off. Later I heard his news from other people. He must have been extremely frustrated, but I’m glad that it was not at the Nationals.
--Before the next season starts, what do you want to do the most?
S: I want to train the 4F or 4Ltz which I could not do this season. During the off season, it would be nice to train the jump without wearing myself out and for the fun of it more or less. This season’s programs use very beautiful music pieces and are choreographed nicely, but I regret I couldn’t perform the programs to the fullest to sell them. Next season I want to dig deep and follow through with my programs.
M: I am planning to keep the free “The Mission,” and I would like to try hard to build my physical and mental strength in order to add the 4S and 4T to the program and go through with it.

- The End

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Thank you for updating Mitsuki's thread! He's been really unlucky this season. I hope better things await him in the next one, and he gets his senior international assignment soon.
It looks like he practices both 4T and 4S, interesting. If he manages to show them in competition, he'll be challenging for the top 10 at Nationals.
I checked Mitsuki's Twitter today, and it seems he's having fun. He posted a gif of himself playing minigolf a couple of days ago, and failing to hit the ball, lol. Keep practicing! ^ ^

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan

surimi

Record Breaker
Thanks for the update! It's been a while since we heard what Mitsuki's up to :)
I have to say, I didn't recognize Mitsuki in that second photo! He's really grown up, isn't he?

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Mitsuki signed a sponsorship agreement with NIDS on June 1. They created his official website to post his event schedule and photos.

NIDS CEO Daisuke Yano interviews Mitsuki:
Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl3gXQ303QU
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZM6kDI99lo

Mitsuki's SP, Forever Aint Enough (Ronan Keating) being choreographed by Keisuke Kodaira:

His FS is R&J choreographed by Nanami Abe.

surimi

Record Breaker
Not bad choices! I actually look forward to these programs. He'll need to work on his expression for R&J though; expression is not his strong point, and I'm sure he knows it and will try his best :)
Congrats on Mitsuki's sponsorship deal! He really deserves the money. I think he's not on JFed's funding list at the moment, is he?

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
I think he's not on JFed's funding list at the moment, is he?
Right. He finished 14th at the last Nationals and dropped from their support list.

Iizuka cup (Aug. 6-8) results came out. Mitsuki finished 1st with 193.01, followed by Yuga Furusho, 151.28 and Tatsuma Furuie, 150.51.
Mitsuki's FS layout: 3T 2A 3Lz 3Lo 2A1Eu3Sfall 3F 3Lz2T
A viewer said all his solo jumps were beautiful and it was a great program.

His recent interview by 4Years: https://4years.asahi.com/article/14403832
Translation will follow shortly.

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Translation of https://4years.asahi.com/article/14403832
1 of 2

“I Might Have Quit Skating.”

Sumoto felt rushed and unsure.

“Skating was the only thing I’ve lived for. I’m afraid of becoming a working member of society.”

He is from Otsu City, Osaka, and when he was in middle school he admired Yuzuru Hanyu, winner of two consecutive Olympic gold medals, and began practicing skating seriously. He made rapid progress and when he was in his second year in high school he won the 2017 the Japanese Junior Nationals, and won bronze at the Junior GPF. Striving to be a top skater while attending Kansai University, he has started to think about graduation and when to retire from skating.

Since about two years ago, he has been having trouble keeping positive feelings about skating. “For at least one year I felt stronger to quit skating than to continue. It was a difficult time. I was practicing alone and I was getting in worse shape and it was a matter of time that I quit,” he spoke candidly.

“I want to rebuild my strength one more time.” He decided to get a fresh start and change his environment. Last season, he transferred to the coaching team of Utako Nagamine, Takeshi Honda, and Kohei Yoshino. The loneliness he had felt began to ease little by little. He said, “Right before the FS at Nishi Nihon, coach Honda said to me, ‘Skate as you practice,’ and I was almost in tears before I got started. Although I didn’t get a good result, I put up a good performance in terms of emotions. It was the FS in which I felt I was not alone.”

The NHK Trophy was his first entry into the GPS, but he had to withdraw for a health reason, but after the Nationals, he reflected, “I was relieved after I had been through a lot.”

Yuzuru Hanyu was a Great Presence

Hanyu changed Sumoto’s skating life. At the 2012 Worlds Hanyu skated to “Romeo & Juliet” in his FS, and Sumoto was captivated by his performance. He continued, “Now he can jump easily, but at that time in that program, he was powerful, spirited and frantic. I loved watching him desperately aiming high.” Until that time he was skating as a hobby, but that experience made him fired up to work hard to be competitive.

He copied Hanyu’s performances so much that he learned all Hanyu’s choreography moves in about three programs until he could dance without mistakes. At that time there were top skaters practicing at the same rink such as Kazuki Tomono (Central Sports), Keiji Tanaka (Kokusai Gakuen), and Tatsuki Machida, 2014 Sochi Olympics 5th finisher and a sports scientist, and they inspired him.

“Machida-san did compulsory moves from 6am for more than one hour, which made me think it’s important to build basic skills. He trained quads so much that he sometimes hit the fence. I knew I had to practice as much as he did.” As he wanted to catch up with other skaters, he practiced as hard as he could, and he started to produce results. Before, he could not even jump 2A, but within a year he mastered five types of triples. When he was in his second year of high school, he won bronze at JGP Finals.

He wanted to be like Hanyu senshu. He wanted to compete with Hanyu senshu at the same event. However, he was losing such pure desire to enjoy skating as he grew older and tired of fighting the pressure of competition.

“I Wonder if I Should Seek Employment...”

Last season as skating practice was restricted due to the pandemic, he had more time to think about his future. People around him were talking about internships and job interviews. In his hometown some were working after finishing high school.

“I have to think about getting a job as much as about competition. I heard that student athletes tend to have a hard time in their second careers. As I cannot imagine myself getting employed, I was beginning to feel uneasy,” he said. He wants to know what his next step should be. He wants to figure out how to build his second career, but he hasn’t come up with an answer.

Lately he is driven to know more about society. This season he is fortunate to receive the sponsor’s support for his skating activities, and it also gives an opportunity for him to connect to society.

- to be cont'd -

surimi

Record Breaker
Thank you for the translation!
Mitsuki gives me the feeling that he's hit his physical limits in terms of tech (he's never had a stable quad, has he?), and has been depressed because of that. It must be so hard for these young men/boys, knowing their time is running short to prove themselves and make a name for themselves on international top level. I am surprised Mitsuki isn't sure about his future career. Didn't all the onsen boys with the exception of Taichiro, dream of having skating-related jobs? Didn't Mitsuki want to be a skating skills coach?

Last edited:

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Didn't all the onsen boys with the exception of Taichiro, dream of having skating-related jobs? Didn't Mitsuki want to be a skating skills coach?
In his 2nd part interview by NIDS CEO on YT uploaded on Jul. 8, Mitsuki said after retirement he wanted to get a job that has something to do with skating so that he would continue to be in the figure skating community. I'll translate the interview videos when I have time. He sounds more positive in the video interviews. This article has more pessimistic tone, but I think the interviews in his own words more clearly show what he thought and how he felt.

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
2 of 2

FS is “Romeo and Juliet”

He has been putting together new programs for competition. His SP is “Forever Aint Enough” by Ronan Keating. For the first time he chose Keisuke Kodaira, a show skater, to choreograph his program. “When I saw Kodaira-san’s performance, he impressed me for his great presentation, and I have long wanted to ask him for choreography. This is the genre of music I have never done before, and the music livens up when I do steps towards the end,” he explained.

His FS is “Romeo and Juliet.” It is the music that changed his skating life. He asked for choreography from Nanami Abe, who coached Hanyu and choreographed this legendary program for him. “I haven’t decided when to retire, but I will continue one or two more years. I made up my mind to skate to this music in my final year as a competitive skater,” he expressed his passion for this music.

“I Want to Do a Fist Pump at That Arena”

Sumoto will compete for the first time this season at the Iizuka Cup opening August 6. The Nationals, which is also part of the Olympic team selection process, will take place in December at Saitama Super Arena. The Worlds in the past at the same arena remain vivid in his memory. “I want to do a fist pump at that big arena. This season I want to show the performance I’m satisfied with, giving it my all at every competition.

He will hang up his boots some day. He has to practice daily keeping his mind on his second career. When asked to write next season’s goal on a square piece of autograph paper, he put down “Have Fun!!” “I’m glad I had time to think. I want to keep a good balance between planning for my future and competition,” he said. He is moving ahead, wondering what to do.

He should not feel rushed. Hopefully, he will take his time facing himself, rediscover the joy of skating, and walk the right path for him.

- the end -

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Translation of the interview with Mitsuki by NIDS, his sponsor:
M=Mitsuki Sumoto; Y=Daisuke Yano, president of NIDS; I=Interviewer

01:27
M: It’s been a while. Nice to see you again.
Y: Thank you for coming.
M: Thank you very much for having me for an interview today.
01:49
Y: Hello, everyone. Today I’m going to have a talk with Sumoto senshu. Rather than a talk, however, I’ve collected from SNS in advance questions to ask, so I would like him to answer some of these questions. To get started, because we are in the middle of the pandemic, we would like to record the video in separate locations using two different cameras. Viewers may feel a little strange, but please bear with us and keep watching.
M: Thank you for watching.
02:25
I: Okay, then, let’s start.
Y&M: Please go ahead.
02:30
I: Well then, I would like you to answer one question at a time. The first question. Please tell us the details that led up to the sponsorship agreement and your first meeting with each other? First, president Yano, please tell us the story.
Y: Okay, he would tell you the same story. I got to know Mitsuki-kun through our mutual acquaintance, and I am glad that I have been given the opportunity to support him, and we signed a sponsorship agreement.
03:04
I: Then next question. Tell us the first impression of each other.
Y: Good, good question.
I: Sumoto senshu, please.
03:17
M: Well, when I first met president Yano, my impression of him was that he had a really big body. But after we started to talk, although he is not a Kansai person, he had Kansai style humor and I felt very comfortable talking to him.
03:33
I: Then, president Yano, what was your impression of Sumoto senshu when you first met him?
Y: I tell you the really honest truth. When we first met, he was waiting for me from very far away. The moment he saw me, he stood up, and I thought he was smaller than I had expected. I’d looked at many of his photos and videos and he looked bigger in videos. That’s my impression of him.
04:04
I: Thank you.
Y: Thank you. [Mitsuki bows]
I: Then, let me ask you the third question. Do you have any common interests?
Y: Let me start first. Okay, during our first meet up, we happened to talk about our hobbies and learned that we loved playing video games. Of all games, I didn’t expect him to love mobile games, and knowing he was a baseball fan, we started to talk about this particular game.
M: Nothing beats Prospi (Professional Baseball Spirits).
Y: I totally agree. We hit it off right away and we exchanged our IDs. We’ll record a Prospi video sometime later.
04:41
I: Thank you. Then, let me go to the next question. What made you want to start the SNS? At what age?
M: I started LINE probably when I was in middle school. My parents bought me a smartphone and I jumped on the twitter and Instagram bandwagon.
I: Around what age?
M: Probably between 13 and 15, as I was in middle school.
05:08
I: How about you, president Yano?
Y: SNS? In my days it was mixi, I guess. I don’t remember mixi well but I might have been in middle school. After that, I don’t know much about facebook, Instagram and twitter. Lately, my employees have been helping me do Instagram and twitter. This has been happening recently [laughing]. Yeah. 05:38
I: Next, my sixth question. How is your training going? Sumoto senshu, can you go first?
Y: There’s no such thing as Sumoto-senshu, first. Sumoto senshu is the only athlete here, Ahaha. [laughing in unison] Here, here, I’m not gonna edit out this part. I wanna keep it.
M: Since early April the rink has been closed for about 3 months and I have been unable to practice on ice. I’ve been working out doing core exercises, jogging and such so that I can maintain stamina and muscle strength.
06:24
I: Let’s move on to the seventh question. Please tell us about your ritual before you skate at competition.
M: Let me see. I don’t think I’ve talked about it often, but I really want to release stress, so I go to a video game arcade to play games such as UFO Catcher. I’m good at playing the UFO Catcher game. I have fun playing the UFO Catcher and get some stuff (prize) before going to the competition. I want to face the competition without feeling stressed.
Y: I see. Actually what you just told us was your routine activity before the day of competition, that is, your routine on or the day before competition. How about your ritual before your performance on the day of competition?
M: Well, I used to be trained by the same coach for many years when I was little, and he helped me stretch until I get on the ice, and that’s something I can do by myself, so I still follow that ritual even after I have a different coach now.

- to be cont'd to the next video -

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZM6kDI99lo&t=550s
1 of 2
00:15
Y: From now on I would like to ask questions to Sumoto senshu.
M: Please go ahead.
Y: First, what is the best part of your skating performance?
M: It’s got to be skating skills. From my personal viewpoint, my strength is the big glide of the blade with one edge push. Jumps are also important, but I would like people to see my smooth gliding.
00:44
Y: Next, if you can tell us, please tell us about the coming season’s programs and costumes.
M: Well, about costumes, The costumes for SP and FS are still undecided. I’ve asked Keisuke Kodaira sensei to choreograph my SP for the first time. The music title is, well, I don’t know the title but I hope it’s displayed here [pointing at the bottom of the screen, while everybody laughs]. I would like to skate to “Romeo and Juliet” for my FS.
01:28
Y: I see. This is gonna be an edgy question to ask, but give it your best shot.
M: I’m ready. Please go ahead.
Y: I want to know if it’s possible for you to continue skating after you finish college.
M: I haven’t made up my mind yet, well, I can't say until that time actually comes. I'm going to give it my all this season and next, and if I still want to continue, I will. If I’m very much satisfied, I’ll end my career. I think I’ll retire from competition.
02:06
But, I want to remain in the skating community in some form, and I’ll be happy if I can be involved with skating somehow.
02:16
Y: Let me ask you casual questions. First, what age is your first love?
M: First love. Let me see, I was in kindergarten. I don’t quite remember, but according to the kids around me, there was a girl I had feelings for but nothing happened and the year ended. Then, they told me that on the last day I came home and I said to my mom while crying, “I should have given her a letter.”
Y: It sounds like your story of first love.
03:05
Y: Now this question may be a little tough to answer. What are the things you buy often from online retailers?
M: Online shopping? I don’t remember buying anything online [laughing in unison]. I don’t have material desire. I use things I find at home and what I was given if they are of practical use. But I hardly ever want or buy anything. So I don’t buy anything online.
Y: You don’t have any desires for material goods now?
03:43
M: I really don’t. I don’t want new shoes or clothes. I am living my daily life with what I have now just fine, so I don’t have any desire for material things.
03:59
Y: Then, shall we go to the next question?
Y: Next, are you watching what you eat?
M: Let me see, I am a picky eater, but lately I am more careful of what I eat, I mean, basically I have been eating meals with meat and rice only for many years, and I think, it's kind of like...I’m getting better at eating vegetables little by little, but I still don’t enjoy veggies. I kind of want to overcome this. I am thinking about challenging myself to that, but it’s not easy.
Y: I see. Then, the next question is about your daily routines. Can you tell me your two different schedules, one for weekdays and the other for your day off.
M: Well, currently I’m taking online courses from my college, but if not affected by the coronavirus restrictions, I go to college in the morning and after classes I go to my skating rink and practice before going home. It’s really simple. On my day off, when we were not under the State of Emergency or coronavirus restrictions, I had one day off per week or so, and I used to go to a place for muscle recovery such as an onsen, stone sauna or massage therapy. Besides, it may sound unusual for an athlete to do, but there were times when I just lay around at home all day.
06:02
Y: I see. Sounds good. Next question is interesting. Do you do some chores for your mom?
M: Let’s see. I fold laundry and clean a bathtub. Besides, I have Japanese killifish as pets and I regularly feed the fish. But I don’t do much, and now that I got asked this question, I’m planning to do more chores little by little.
06:36
Ah, really? There is a suspicion that you only fold laundry of certain types. Are you sure you don’t want to clear the suspicion?
M: About that, I’m not very good at folding clothes, so I pick what I can fold.
Y: I know what you mean. You mainly fold towels, don’t you?
M: That’s true.
Y: A fun fact about you. I hope you will do your best doing chores to help his mom. Okay, then, the last personal question. What are you looking forward to doing now?
07:19
M: I think I can resume practice pretty soon, and it will be two months since the last time I practiced on the ice, so I’m a bit looking forward to it, and what’s more, I cannot wait to get the SP choreographed by Kodaira sensei for the first time.
07:45
Y: I have really high hopes for you.
M: Thank you very much. Let me add the Prospi series. The new events are coming up and this is going to be fun.

- to be cont'd -

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
2 of 2

Y: Okay, then, let’s finish this interview with more serious talks. Let me ask you three questions, lastly.
Y: First question is about your best competition. In what competition and when?
M: Well, let me answer your questions separately about the SP and FS. About SP, it is the 2017 JGP Finals. It was the first time I’d ever been able to skate at such a big competition. There, the audience waved Japanese flags and cheered loudly, and I turned their support into power and showed a really good performance. It was my best moment when I felt happy that I had continued skating.
09:01
Regarding my FS, it was in the same year, 2017, but it was at the Nationals. For the first time I was able to finish without mistakes and got good scores and placement. It was a good competition and I had no regrets whatsoever.
Y: I see, 2017 was a good year for you racking up points.
09:38
The next question may be similar to that one, but when did you first start looking at international competitions? Did you aim for any specific competition?
M: Well, I was around fifteen and in the third year of middle school when I started aiming to compete on a global stage. Until I was in the second year of middle school, I was a nobody. But after entering 3rd year in middle school, for the first time, the federation invited me to a test skate for spots for international events and that trial sparked my interest. On the same rink, there were a few skilled international level skaters who were not rink mates, and I was motivated to practice hard to catch up with them. I put a lot of effort in practice, and I was able to show a good performance at my first test skate for international assignments, and I was selected to go to international events. That said, I was not thinking about international assignments until I was chosen, so I didn’t set eyes on the international stage until after the test skate was over.
Y: As I thought, you started looking at international competitions around 2015 or 2016, shortly before the 2017 event which became your turning point. Then, the final question, my last question.
This season, rather, coming season, what is your goal for next season?
M: It may not be considered my goal, but next season, I would like to try to get the best results in my skating life and to feel pleased with myself.
11:49
Y: Okay, then, since I’m a businessman of some sort, I want to ask you for specifics, if you don’t mind. Can you give me the ranking number you are shooting for at a particular competition?
M: Regarding the Nationals, the highest placement I’ve taken so far is 6th, therefore I am aiming to place higher. I’ve got to have quad jumps in my programs after all, and I want to practice hard so that I can add at least one or two quads in my program.
Y: Thank you very much. When you talked about your enthusiasm in the end, I got a lot of goosebumps.
12:28
I have super high hopes for you. It’s going to be December, isn’t it? I’m rooting for you.
M: Thank you very much. I’ll do my best.
Y: This concludes our discussion or more like a question and answer session. We wrap up our talk this time, but I will upload lots of casual stuff (Sumoto senshu’s videos) from now on, so please take a look at them.
M: I’d appreciate it.
Y: Thank you very much for your time.

- the end -

surimi

Record Breaker
Thanks for the translation! ^ ^ Mitsuki is such a nice, modest, level-headed boy. It's hard not to like him or root for him. I wonder what career he chooses once he retires.
wow, I forgot he'd made the top 6 at Nationals in 2017, I guess I mixed him up with Ryuju. It will be hard to get that spot now, but not impossible. I look forward to seeing 3A and quads from Mitsuki.
For me the most emotional moment in his career so far was 2017 JGP, I forgot where -Tallinn or Riga- where Mitsuki won and made his coach cry.
Eh, clothes folding? I normally fold them as I iron them, I idly wonder if Mitsuki irons them too :wink: (<- kidding, I know many just fold them without ironing).
The childhood crush story is so aww ^ ^
I know nothng about games so no comment there :p

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Reposting from other thread:

Quadruple Axel (9/29/21) has onsen club boys' chat right after the online talkshow was over on Aug. 8:
Translated excerpts:

-- I hope all four of you will be able to be in a place together as soon as possible. Now, let's continue with the question section. The next question is, "Are there any other programs by other members of this club that you would like to try?"
Sota: You mean the programs of this member, right?
Kazuki Who? What should it be?
Taichiro: Huh?
Mitsuki: I want the one by Sota with his purple costume.
Sota: "Tenchijin (Heart of Samurai)"?
Mitsuki: The free skate from when we went to the US ('15/JGP America) together.
Sota: Oh, "the Piano Concerto (Piano Concerto No. 1)"!
Mitsuki: I thought that was nice. I want to try it.
Sota: It's a classical piece, a real classic.
Kazuki I want Mitsuki to do Sota's "Anthem".
Taichiro: I think you'll do well with this type of music.
Mitsuki: Yes, music-wise.
Sota: His style is similar to mine.
Mitsuki: What about you, Taichiro?
Taichiro: I'm sorry I can't answer this question, but..... I can't imagine. The programs that you guys have done so far are the ones that show your greatest strengths. I can't imagine myself doing the same program as you guys did.
Kazuki: I really know what you mean. It's true that I can't imagine myself skating someone else's program. But when I think of a piece I'd like to try, I think of something like "Poeta" by Sota.
Sota: I am surprised that Kazuki hasn't done anything like that (flamenco).
Kazuki: I feel like I'd be overwhelmed by the music. "Moulin Rouge" was a tango, so it was a little like that kind of music.
Sota: Oh, that's true.
Kazuki: But I was told by my sensei (Taijin Hiraike) that it wasn't good enough. That's why I'm not really into that kind of thing. Because of my height, I can't be very powerful, so it's a bit difficult for me and I could only make it look tango-ish. That's why I envy people like Sota and Taichiro who can use such powerful music. It's something I don't have myself.
Taichiro: After listening to you guys, I want to do "Moulin Rouge." I’ve just thought about it (laughs)!
Kazuki: For sure, it would suit you! Taichiro would definitely look good. I'd also like to see you do some other jazz for real.
Sota: Even more seriously jazzy than "La La Land"?
Kazuki: It's gotta be the real jazz music. He would be looking cool in a suit.
Sota: He should do something like authentic jazz.
Kazuki: Yes, yes, yes, I think he would definitely look good.
Taichiro: That would be cool!

- to be cont'd -

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Part 2:

Kazuki: I think Taichiro is a good fit for music where he gives off masculine charm, looking hot just standing there. Huh? The topic seems to have changed to "songs that would suit you" (laughs).
Sota: I like "Les Miserables'' by Mitsuki. I've been saying "I like it" for quite a while. For Kazuki's program, I've done "New Cinema Paradise '' at galas, and I'd like to do it again with a new arrangement. As to Taichiro's program, I wonder what it would be. I was going to say "La La Land," but since Kazuki has done it too, I'll just say ....... (laughs). I'd like to try "The Godfather'' too. That one sounds cool.
Taichiro: I have a feeling Sota can do well with "The Godfather" too.
Kazuki I just realized that Taichiro's program is so Taichiro. Don't you think so? I can't imagine using Taichiro's music the most out of all these. I can't imagine myself skating to it. I use "La La Land," but his other programs are also unique, and I'm not sure I can perform them. Again, I realized that his programs are very much his own.
Taichiro: Basically, my music pieces are the ones that not many people use.
Kazuki: They're really nice.
Taichiro: It's the first time for everyone to hear these songs, so they’re original in a sense. That's why they show my style clearly. But of all the songs I've used, I've never had anyone say to me, "I want to use that song too." (laughs)
Sota and Mitsuki: Really?
Kazuki: Because you're Taichiro! He's using difficult songs!
Taichiro: I don’t remember anyone saying, "I want to use this song too" (laughs).
--Incidentally, here’s another question we’ve received, "This year, the project of passing down the legacy of Mr. Machida by Tanaka senshu at the ice show attracted a lot of attention, but if you could "inherit" only one program of another skater, what would it be? What would you like to do?
Mitsuki: Yes! Hanyu (Yuzuru) senshu's "Parisienne Walkways" (12-13, 13-14 SP).
Kazuki: Oh!
Sota: That is a great choice. That's awesome. It's a synonym for Hanyu senshu. I also love Hanyu's "Hope & Legacy" from the free skate of 16-17.
Mitsuki: Oh, great!
Sota: At the World Championships in Helsinki, he skated flawlessly. I really loved that program and the steps too. I was injured during that season, so I watched the competitions on TV all through the season, and I was blown away by that program. I wish I could skate like that.
--You watched it when you were injured, and it encouraged you.
Sota: That's right. It was in March and I was in my second year of high school, and I hadn't been on the ice yet, but when I saw that free skate, I got excited for the first time in a long time, and it was a performance that encouraged me a lot.
--You watched it when you were injured, and it encouraged you.
Sota: That's right. It was in March, when I was in my second year of high school, and I wasn't able to get on the ice yet, but watching that free skate, I got excited for the first time in a long time, and it was a performance that inspired me so much.
Kazuki: That's a very good reason!

- to be cont'd -

Last edited: