Most Moving Performances | Golden Skate

Most Moving Performances

doublequad

On the Ice
What are some performances that have shaken you to the core emotionally? Generally for me they tend to either be personal triumphs or just clean stunning performances that make you cry or the hairs on your body stand up. I'm also heavily biased towards musical numbers I prefer.

The biggest ones (no explanation needed):
Yuzuru Hanyu 2017 Worlds FS
Yuna Kim 2014 Olympics SP
Mirai Nagasu 2018 US Nats FS
Nathan Chen 2019 Worlds FS
Wakaba Higuchi 2018 Worlds FS

Others:
Bradie Tennell 2019 4CC SP - Program performance was just perfect. Spectacular transitions in and out of the jumps perfectly timed; good music.
Mikhail Kolyada 2018 COC SP - Good performance, beautiful Quad Lutz - just stunning.
Carolina Kostner 2018 Worlds SP - Artistry through the roof. Amazing setting.
Yuzuru Hanyu 2019 GP SP - Beautiful program

friedbanana

End Turandot!
Final Flight
Mirai Nagasu 2014 Nationals EX
Mao Asada 2014 Sochi FS
Yuzuru Hanyu 2016 Worlds EX
Patrick Chan 2016 4CC FS

And Michelle Kwan’s Fields of Gold at the 2002 Olympics :sad4:

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
1. Yuzuru's 'The Swan' gala, it is so beautiful it almost always brings tears to my eyes.
2. Sota's 'Jekyll & Hyde' FP, especially when he couldn't jump much yet (Chuubu to Nats). The emotions make up for it.
3. Mao's 'Madame Butterfly' FP. So beautiful and ethereal and emotional, I was mesmerized.

1904sk8

On the Ice
1. Yuzuru Hanyu 2014 CoC FS (hard to watch and shook me to my core)
2. Yururu Hanyu 2018 Oly SP and 2017 Worlds FS
3. Papadakis/Cizeron 2017 Worlds FD

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I can only speak for this year, so it is going to be every time Zagitova did her exhibition skate, Tursynbayeva’s FS in the Worlds, Sinitzina’s SP in JW, Uno’s 4CC and Hanyu’s FS in the Worlds.

I guess I am a sucker for a hard-earned triumph...

Separately from it, I love Zabiiako and Enbert’s SP, because it is just this cool.

lappo

Final Flight
Yulia Lipnitskaya's Schindler's List.
Yuzuru "Hope and Legacy".
Yuna Kim "Nessun Dorma".
Those are the one that moved me the most for the skating itself.
Other moved me for a combination of skating and personal events going on in the life of the figure skaters (es. Aliona and Bruno Olympic winning performance, after so many years of trying; Alina Zagitova triumphal World winning programs after a struggling season; Lipnitskaya last competitive event; Nathan Chen and Mao Asada LP at Olympics).

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Yulia Lipnitskaya's Schindler's List.
Yuzuru "Hope and Legacy".
Yuna Kim "Nessun Dorma".
Those are the one that moved me the most for the skating itself.
Other moved me for a combination of skating and personal events going on in the life of the figure skaters (es. Aliona and Bruno Olympic winning performance, after so many years of trying; Alina Zagitova triumphal World winning programs after a struggling season; Lipnitskaya last competitive event; Nathan Chen and Mao Asada LP at Olympics).

Oh, yes, Lipnitskaya was huge for me, but she also was the reason I dropped out of watching after Sochi, but I was glued to the season after 2018 Olympics because it was far less disheartening.

SNAKSuyun

did it spark joy?
On the Ice
Country
China
In no particular order:

Yuzuru Hanyu 2017 Worlds FS
Shen/Zhao 2003 Worlds FS
Sui/Han 2019 Worlds FS
Savchenko/Massot 2018 Olympics FS
Mao Asada 2014 Olympics FS
Patrick Chan 2018 Olympics FS (Team Event)
Kaori Sakamoto 2019 Nationals FS
Virtue/Moir 2018 Olympics FD

Atlantis

Rinkside
1. Yuzuru Hanyu - Requiem of Heaven and Earth (WC 2016 EX)

The sorrow in every little movement made me genuinely weep back when I knew nothing about the performance and almost nothing about the performer.

2. Yulia Lipnitskaya -Schindler's List (OWG 2014 FS Team Event)

Also made me tear up. Very beautiful expression of sadness.

3. Yuzuru Hanyu - Hope & Legacy (WC 2017 FS)

Beauty, harmony and musicality of this skate touch my soul like nothing else.

chasseneige

Rinkside
Yuna Kim Worlds 2013 FS

Michelle Kwan Worlds 2004 FS

Michelle Kwan Nationals 1998 SP

Sui/Han Worlds 2017 FS

Mao Asada Sochi FS

Yuzuru Hanyu PyeongChang SP

Evgenia Medvedeva PyeongChang FS

Warwick360

Medalist
For me, Yuna Kim- Send in the clown, bar none. The performance that not only mesmerised me but also introduced me to the song and the beautiful world of Stephen Sondheim.:cry:

Shedi0806

On the Ice
Yuzuru Hanyu Worlds 2017 FS
Virtue/Moir Olympics 2018 FD
Yuna Kim Olympics 2014 FS
Wakaba Higuchi Worlds 2018 FS

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
So many, but the ones that stand out for me are the ones below. However, that doesn't mean there weren't any others. And if you ask me tomorrow, I expect there will be some changes in the list.

Savchenko and Massot's La Terre Vue due Ciel in 2018, both at the OG and the WC (that one moved me to tears)
Torvill and Dean's beautiful Paso Doble at the 1984 Olympics (yes, their Bolero is also one of a kind, but I prefer the OD. Always moves me).
Alexei Yagudin's Winter SP, The man in the Iron Mask LP and his Exhibition programme in 2002 (they all get to me but the ones skated at the WC move me the most)
Carolina Kostner's Bolero at the OG in 2014
Miskuteniok and Dmitriev's Rachmaninov LP at the 1994 OG (where did the water running down my cheeks suddenly come from)
Davis and White's Bollywood OD in 2010.
Savchenko and Massot's Lighthouse LP in 2017
Duhamel and Radford's Hometown Glory in 2016
All Papadakis and Cizeron's FDs touch a chord.
Michelle Kwan's Fields of Gold Exhibition in 2002
Joanie Rochette's SP at the OG in 2010 (knowing the sad story behind it, makes it not just a great skate but a very moving one)
Yuka Sato's wonderful LP at the WC in 1994
Philip Candelorio's d'Artagnan (or the four Musketiers) skate in 1994.
Yuzuru Hanyu's SP at the OG
Javier Fernandez's wonderful The man from La Mancha (won't mention the year).

I'd better stop now...keep on remembering more and more beautiful ones. I haven't even got to Sui/Hann, James/Cipres, Pluschenko, Lambiel, Buttle, Chan yet who all had one or more moving skates...

Wombat1800

On the Ice
Wakabond at the 2018 Worlds, Sui and Han's fs from worlds this year, Mirai's Olympic team event performance, Yuzu's olympic fs, Virtue and Moir's olympic fd.