Mukhortova & Trankov blog - on costumes | Golden Skate

Mukhortova & Trankov blog - on costumes

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
http://ptichkafs.livejournal.com/38482.html

September 17 | Mukhortova & Trankov blog
[size=+1]One-day butterfly[/size]

Hi all! The first competitions of the season are almost here, and this time we’d like to talk of the costumes we’ll get to skate in. In figure skating, costumes are rather important.

Maria Mukhortova:
We have finally received our costumes and tried them out at practices. When we first considered them, we couldn’t quite decide on the colors for the short program. We originally wanted to go with pink, blue or turquoise, perhaps red, but we’ve sued all those choices before.

I then thought I’d really like to go with beige. Everyone else was against it, as this color is very hard to work with, but at long last we went with it. We drew tons of sketches but just couldn’t make a final decision.

Maxim Trankov: Then, a friend of a designer we’ve long worked with decided to help; we liked her ideas, though I chose the costume from one sketch, and Masha – from another. It was the same thing with the costumes for our free – they are from different sketches. In both programs, the costumes are not quite of the same style, but we decided the contrast would be interesting.

Maria: The artist did a great job, realizing exactly what we asked her to. It’s not every designer who can reflect exactly what the athlete wants.

Maxim: The dress did end up gorgeous – it’s beige with a butterfly of multicolor stones on the chest. Our idea for the short program is for Masha to be a flying soul or even a moth, sort of a one-day butterfly. I am her angel protector, and my costume is black. I guard her all program long, but ultimately she dies in my arms.

We used Shostakovich’s “The Lady and the Hooligan” for the free. We chose the sketches quickly, and it’s cool! In the locker room, all other guys told us right away “You should get all tens for the costumes alone!”

Maria: When I put on the dress – it’s very beautiful, with a feather boa and a belt studded with large stones – the girls from our group gathered all around me. I take the ice, and the girls follow me, all mesmerized. I ell them – that’s enough, it’s time to practice, but they just stick to me, saying “we can’t take our eyes off of your dress”.

Maxim: Masha’s dress is very color-rich, its base is wine-color, but there is also white, black, and peach. My costume also uses various colors, but it’s of a completely different style: jeans, sailor, shirt vest, and many accessories – suspenders, skate covers made like Keds with a “Converse” trademark star, and a belt. This is likely to be my favorite costume from now on.

In the past, I really liked the costumes we used for the Tokyo Worlds, the black and white ones. Also, we both favored the costumes from last season’s free. They turned out both beautiful and very comfortable. Our luckiest costumes were the sky blue ones that helped us become Junior World champions.

There is no fashion on pair skating per se. Of course, everyone wants to do something original, but if the music and the choreography do not suggest anything specific, they just make beautiful costumes. In our case this season, both programs have a lot of character, so we could make interesting costumes to go along with it.

As a rule, we try to take the program as a starting point when working on sketches, but there are little things we’re used to. When you put on a costume, you cannot feel any discomfort. For example, bosh Masha and I dislike costumes with a high turtleneck that presses on the throat.

Maria: Obviously, we cannot say that that if we’ll have costumes with a cut we don’t favor then we won’t be able to do anything and will skate poorly. If you’re set for your goals, nothing will stop you. But a good costume adds to self confidence. Skaters should look good.

Over the course of a season, a pair usually gets several costumes. Sometimes, they have to be switched mid-season if they wear out too soon, or are just a poor choice. Some do two costumes of different style for the same program. You also need costumes for practices at international competitions. You can’t just wear anything to something of that level. Such costumes are simpler, but they have to be neat.

Maxim: The judges also note the costumes. The second mark takes them into account. The costume cannot be too revealing, since that’s against the rules. A good costume ain’t cheap either, but in our case the CSKA club we represent and the Saint Petersburg figure skating school pays for them.

A photo session with the costumes here - http://www.sports.ru/blog/muhortova-trankov/5787684.html. First up are the short program costumes, and then the free.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you for translating the interview, Ptichka! :love:

I had seen the costume pictures on FSU, but it's fun seeing them again!

It's really cool to hear Maxim's idea behind the short program . . . sounds very dramatic and romantic and the costumes do a beautiful job in reflecting those feelings. The SP outfits are my favorites for them! :bow:

The LP looks like it will be a big departure from what we've seen from them in the past and a stark contrast from their SP. Very avant-garde costumes!

I can't wait to see both of their programs and wish them lots of luck and success! :love:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
The SP outfits are beautiful. Very romantic and elegant.

Not too sure about the Lady and the Hooligan though. Looks as if it would be VERY difficult to skate in. they might manage a exhibition in them, but not a freeskate. Something is bound to fall of, or rip...

missysays

On the Ice
I agree- the SP program outfits are beautiful and look comfortable for pair skating. But can you imagine that feather boa outfit in a triple twist lift- I would hate to be the one trying to catch her. ;)

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
Thanks Ptichka!!!

I really love the SP costumes. Few people look good in beige, but she does.
The sleeves on Maxim's costumes are really nice too.

Her LP dress remind's me a little of Witt's 1988 Olympics SP costume! Though it looks more like 'The Hooligan and the Hooligan'. I sort of expected it to be more ladylike.

Last edited: