Nam Nguyen Retires from Competitive Skating | Golden Skate

Nam Nguyen Retires from Competitive Skating

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OTTAWA, ON: Two-time national champion Nam Nguyen, 24, Richmond Hill, Ont., has announced his retirement from competitive skating. Nguyen has been a staple on the Canadian skating scene since he won the juvenile title in 2007. He would go on to win the national title at all levels – juvenile (2007), pre-novice (2008), novice (2009), junior (2011) and senior (2015 & 2019).

“It has been an honour representing Canada at the highest levels of our sport and I cannot thank Skate Canada enough, for all the trust and opportunities they have given my team and I over the years of my career,” said Nguyen. “I’ve learned so many valuable lessons throughout the years that I will take with me as I move on to the next chapter of my life.”

On the world stage Nguyen competed at numerous events with a crowning moment at the 2014 ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships® when he took home the gold medal after winning both the short and free programs. Other notable finishes were a gold medal at the 2018 U.S. International Classic, silver at the 2019 Skate Canada International and bronze at the 2015 Skate America.

“Nam is a prime example of skating development in Canada finding success at every level of skating. We are very proud of Nam and his journey, and we wish him nothing but the best in his future endeavors.” Mike Slipchuk, High Performance Director, Skate Canada

Nguyen will continue to work in skating as a coach to develop the next generation of skaters in Canada.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I hope Nguyen enjoys coaching. I loved seeing him win silver in SkCan, and I also hope he tries himself as a choreographer, because he has this fun-filled style, so rare in skating.
I am so glad that Nam will be coaching. It's a completely different experience but, for me, it was more fulfilling to work with my students. Passing along all the things I learned, both the good and the bad. Maybe he'll become the next Brian Orser.

Last edited:

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Good luck to Nam in his future endeavors! I am a little suprised by his decision, I thought he was in a good position to become Canada's #3 man, rivaling Conrad, if Wesley chooses to stay in juniors next year.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Good luck to Nam in his future endeavors! I am a little suprised by his decision, I thought he was in a good position to become Canada's #3 man, rivaling Conrad, if Wesley chooses to stay in juniors next year.
I think it makes no sense to keep the two up-and-coming guys in juniors. They already missed out tons of competitions, so the more international experience and exposure they get, the better.

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
Best wishes to Nam in his new endeavours! :) He has been a staple on the Canadian scene for years, and he has always represented Canada well. He should be very proud of what he has accomplished in his career.

I agree with what he said in the article: We need more 'showy' performers. There are so many skaters these days who skate to gloomy ballads and/or don't engage with the audience well.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

mrrice

Record Breaker
Don’t go getting any ideas Keegan.
I don't think Keegan will be far behind Nam. He's truly met so many expectations that a skater dreams of. He's been National Champion, He'e been to Worlds. He's a 2 time Olympic Skater and he has a family now. He's a true "Spark Plug" for Canada, and the USA. Bravo!

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
I don't think Keegan will be far behind Nam. He's truly met so many expectations that a skater dreams of. He's been National Champion, He'e been to Worlds. He's a 2 time Olympic Skater and he has a family now. He's a true "Spark Plug" for Canada, and the USA. Bravo!
It would be great if he hung on until Montreal Worlds, if not longer, though!

mrrice

Record Breaker
It would be great if he hung on until Montreal Worlds, if not longer, though!
I forgot about Montreal Worlds. As the defending Canadian Champion, it would be great to see him defend his title and finish his career at Worlds in Montreal in 2024. That would be a dream finish. Kind of like Kaetlyn did in 2018.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He’s indicated he wants to stay another year. Don’t change your mind Keegan !!🇨🇦🍁

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
I forgot about Montreal Worlds. As the defending Canadian Champion, it would be great to see him defend his title and finish his career at Worlds in Montreal in 2024. That would be a dream finish. Kind of like Kaetlyn did in 2018.
And, like Kaitlyn, win a Gold World medal - go Keegan!

Anyway, this is a thread for Nam Nguyen, so on that front, I wish Nam well - he's been really enjoyable to watch, and seems like a fantastic bloke - hope his next chapter is very happy for him.