Nathan Chen | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

sheetz

Record Breaker
Somebody finally uploaded his skate so I got to see it. (Hint: Search Youku) Quads weren't as good as Nathan can do, but he was probably a little nervous. After getting thru those it looks like he loosened up and did a great 3A. Overall performance was a lot more polished than even at the GPF.

gsyzf

Medalist
Somebody finally uploaded his skate so I got to see it. (Hint: Search Youku) Quads weren't as good as Nathan can do, but he was probably a little nervous. After getting thru those it looks like he loosened up and did a great 3A. Overall performance was a lot more polished than even at the GPF.

Here is a copy of his SP on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5LDYKdiDko

Quads are risky jumps, especially the more difficult quads like 4lz and 4f. He only just started attempting 4lz and 4f in competition this season. So it's easy for these quads to go wrong when he feels nervous under pressure. (Quads can go wrong even with many years of practice when quads are done under pressure.) The good thing is that he still fought for the landing of 4lz and 4f, his 3A has improved quite a bit and he has gave first real 2-quad SP this season.

---------
ETA: I don't think he will try 4S in the LP. His 4S is not consistent and it's too risky to try 4S if he wants to win national, given how 4S messed up the rest of his program in the past. I think he will try 4S at 4CC.

Last edited:

guitarist

On the Ice
His consistency is absolutely frightening. I'm glad I watched the Nationals today, that was amazing, even if the scores still seem kinda overinflated (it IS Nationals, after all). He didn't even seem that tired! I can't help but wonder whether eventually he'll be able to put more of those jumps in the second half for an even more frightening score. What a skater! And I think he's improving his artistry, I watched his FS at the GPF and didn't like it at all, but it was a lot more convincing today, I enjoyed it.

charmblade

Final Flight
:hap10:

Truly amazing performance, especially considering the amount of pressure on him by the media and the fed. Consistency under pressure is what we need.

SelfOM

Rinkside
:hap10:

Truly amazing performance, especially considering the amount of pressure on him by the media and the fed. Consistency under pressure is what we need.

Yeah seriously. Though it honestly probably made me more anxious than it did him. His warm-ups today were probably his weakest of the week (fall on 4T and a couple of step outs). Yet he went in and nailed it when it mattered.

sheetz

Record Breaker
Really gutsy performance with so much pressure on him. I knew he would go for the 4S because he hadn't been practicing 3L at all this week. Japanese fans went crazy on Twitter afterwards. :laugh:

gsyzf

Medalist
Really gutsy performance with so much pressure on him. I knew he would go for the 4S because he hadn't been practicing 3L at all this week. Japanese fans went crazy on Twitter afterwards. :laugh:

What did Japanese fans say?

sheetz

Record Breaker
What did Japanese fans say?

Pretty much the same the Americans are saying--amazing, awesome, unbelievable. He actually has lots of Japanese fans, although some of them joke about him being a threat to their nation. :laugh: