Nathan Chen | Page 54 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

shine

Record Breaker
I'd be surprised if he attempts the 4Lo since he has said at least twice that 4Lo is not the priority this season despite having landed the jump, and skaters practice all sorts of jumps in practices which they don't attempt in competitions. But then if he were going to try it at some point this would be a good competition to do it.

frida80

Record Breaker
Agreed. I hope the monstrous score Uno just put up at Lombardia doesn't get to Nathan and he'll just keep calm and do what he planned to do. Can't wait to see his new SP in its entirety!

At 4CC he intended to reduce his quads to focus on artistry. But when Shoma and Boyang decided to attempt more quads, he changed his mind. It's what makes me nervous.

But at the end of the season he learned he needed to prioritize his components more. I hope he sticks to his guns, win her lose. It's all about the long game.

shine

Record Breaker
I can't get over how easy that 3A looked. :eek: It's like you can't even tell it's been his problem jump for like ever.

sherlock trollmes

On the Ice
You can tell he had a lot of adrenaline - he was really trying to sell it. I thought he did a great job - and I think Shae did an amazing job with the choreography. The middle is a little empty, but the beginning is awesome and I loved the footwork. I also loved the final spin with the arm movements that went with the music. I'm so excited to watch this one grow. He's not playing it safe, that's for sure.

sheetz

Record Breaker
I can't get over how easy that 3A looked. :eek: It's like you can't even tell it's been his problem jump for like ever.

I think it's helped that he's a lot stronger now and more or less stopped growing in height.

shine

Record Breaker
You can tell he had a lot of adrenaline - he was really trying to sell it. I thought he did a great job - and I think Shae did an amazing job with the choreography. The middle is a little empty, but the beginning is awesome and I loved the footwork. I also loved the final spin with the arm movements that went with the music. I'm so excited to watch this one grow. He's not playing it safe, that's for sure.
Yeah, definitely a lot of adrenaline which made the program look a bit rushed and not completely in sync with the music at the start. I think the beginning part is best skated with a laid-back coolness like he did in the practice clip from Sun Valley. But this is only nitpicking! The program is already so good and I'm sure it will only get better with each outing. The step sequence was so exciting!

sheetz

Record Breaker
I think he might have missed his musical cue at the beginning because he was just standing there for a few seconds while the music was playing.

Roast Toast

Medalist
Is Nathan really planning to put both the lutz and flip in the second half of the program?? That's insane! Or maybe once he's doing the quad lutz it'll change place with the axel? Either way, a delayed quad flip is just unreal.

sherlock trollmes

On the Ice
My guess is that he's planning on doing the 4f in combination where it is and a solo 4lz right before the footwork. I think he can manage it - but I think he's smart to not do it all at once. I'm happy he stuck to his one quad plan!

sheetz

Record Breaker
But now I wonder how many quads will be backloaded in his FS tomorrow. 2? 3? Will he include 4Lo? When Nathan says he's "taking it easy" it could mean he's just being slightly less insane than usual.

sherlock trollmes

On the Ice
Haha, good point - nothing would really surprise me. I wouldn't be shocked at all if he threw the 4lo in there just to see if he can do it.