Nathan Chen | Page 852 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Nathan is really trying to up his caption game lately. With references to Will Smith, National Treasure movie, and now DJ Khaled.

sheetz

Record Breaker
He had little time to train between worlds and WTT, so I wouldn’t say definitely he got the 4s back totally on his own.

I don't mean that Nathan completely learned 4S after months of not practicing it. It's just he was able to learn from instruction he got from Raf weeks before. Which is all he needs to do over the summer.

I'm pretty sure that on the Icetalk podcast Jackie did mention jet lag as being a possible factor in Nathan's practices.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I was thinking, could DJ Khaled reference be a clue to his new SP? But he wouldn’t be that obvious, right ... :p

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
So maybe not DJ Khaled, but I’m thinking hip hop for his SP (could be totally wrong though)

shine

Record Breaker
Is what TSL thinks of Nathan really worth the attention it's getting here? It's just.....TSL. lol I find Dave very biased and Jonathan pretty clueless about skating in general. And again regarding Dave and his comments about Shae only capable of "fun" programs - I just remembered Mariah's FS last season was also by Shae and it's probably my fav ladies FS from last season and made me tear up a couple times! Shows that Shae is definitely capable of creating heartfelt programs and probably just needs the right person to skate to them.

Can't wait to see Nathan's new SP!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Is what TSL thinks of Nathan really worth the attention it's getting here? It's just.....TSL. lol I find Dave very biased and Jonathan pretty clueless about skating in general. And again regarding Dave and his comments about Shae only capable of "fun" programs - I just remembered Mariah's FS last season was also by Shae and it's probably my fav ladies FS from last season and made me tear up a couple times! Shows that Shae is definitely capable of creating heartfelt programs and probably just needs the right person to skate to them.

Can't wait to see Nathan's new SP!

TSL are idiots and Shae is one of the most adaptable, varied choreographers in the sport right now.

ETA: Shae is not just fun programs, she was the choreographer for Ashley Wagner's Exogenesis a few seasons ago, an excellent but not fun by any means program.

RainMaker

On the Ice
does nathan not like being around raf? i feel like he been avoiding him like the plague this year. he barely went to train with him after school is over he need to train!

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I doubt that Nathan has been avoiding him. He really wanted to go back to socal to train with him before Worlds, but Raf wouldn’t let him.

And he has been quite busy since the school year ended.

sheetz

Record Breaker
It was practically the same last year but somehow he was great by the time Champs Camp rolled around. And so far he's looked awesome in the shows. I think he's hardly missed any days of practice. More likely he needs a vacation. Maybe take a week off to visit Romain in France. Find some good patisseries.

Speaking of which, this is an interview done during IdF from the French magazine Patinage. Taken from Babemama's fan blog. I can sort of make out what it's saying, but maybe Oatmella can translate it?
https://stat.ameba.jp/user_images/20190526/08/babemama2015/1c/c2/j/o0769108014416436206.jpg?caw=800

Hollymolly

Medalist
It was practically the same last year but somehow he was great by the time Champs Camp rolled around. And so far he's looked awesome in the shows. I think he's hardly missed any days of practice. More likely he needs a vacation. Maybe take a week off to visit Romain in France. Find some good patisseries.

Speaking of which, this is an interview done during IdF from the French magazine Patinage. Taken from Babemama's fan blog. I can sort of make out what it's saying, but maybe Oatmella can translate it?
https://stat.ameba.jp/user_images/20190526/08/babemama2015/1c/c2/j/o0769108014416436206.jpg?caw=800

Google translate..

He's a guy with his head on his shoulders. He is never distant. And then, ”I've never seen anyone working as hard as him: for skating, and for college. At the end of the training, he will work on his classes,” says Romain Ponsart, who shares the same training ice rink.

Nathan Chen, the reigning World Champion, has largely won the Skate America. He also tempts Grenoble far above the fray.

Q. In free cutter, in Grenoble, under the quad flip and quad toe loop, and you give the impression that you still have.
NC. Thank you for telling me, it's good for my confidence! This is the goal: to be able to continue to add things To make a clean program is completely decisive today, with the new regulations. So I have to be ste with myself: the program went well, but gave the maximum of what I can do today.

Q. How do you do to juggle between university and skating?
NC. I chose Grenoble because the competition was falling during the Thanksgiving break. But I have several homework to do, a Spanish exam the next sermaine and the others in two weeks. I brought my books to work. I'm not going to Los Angeles anymore. I do not have the reserve anymore. time. I train as much as I can in New Haven Idans Connecticut, on the East Coast, where is located the University of Yalel, according to my courses.

Q. How do you do it with your trainer Rafacl Aru Unian, stayed in Los Angeles?
NC. I trains me alone, but I call him when I need. Raf, as Ashley Wagner and Adam Rippon called it "e-coaching".
RA. It's not easy, but He can not stop studying! I did not think it was possible-in fact, I did not know anything about it. I realize now that you can train from a distance. But it takes two ingredients: to be a very great professional, who knows his job and knows how to analyze in detail And an excellent organization, to put what is said. The difference is that at a distance there is only one chance to hit the skater. The skater tells, rehearsal analysis, he makes his recommendation and recommendation, and skater must do. While on the other side, you can, by several times, demonstrate, point fingers, feel, and even go back around the coffee machine. But nce coaching has one advantage: at least the coach does not get his student under 25 recommendations. He can only make one.

lucyrose

Rinkside
TSL are idiots and Shae is one of the most adaptable, varied choreographers in the sport right now.

ETA: Shae is not just fun programs, she was the choreographer for Ashley Wagner's Exogenesis a few seasons ago, an excellent but not fun by any means program.

In defense of TSL, I feel like they actually praise Nathan a lot. He was Dave’s highlight of US Nationals, and they comment frequently about Nathan seeming like a normal, well adjusted dude. Dave always says he’s hardest on the ones he likes the most. Don’t get me wrong, TSL can be a little crazy but overall they don’t unanimously praise anybody (except Tracy Wilson haha).

Anyway, I’m excited to see what Nathan and Shae have in the works. I actually do worry about his schedule and being sick all the time. Hoping for a healthy (or at least healthier) season ahead.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Translation:

“He’s a guy with his head on his shoulders. He’s never aloof. And I have never seen anyone who works as hard as him: toward skating and at college,” says Romain Ponsart who shares the same training rink.

Nathan Chen, the reigning world champion, won Skate America by a large margin. He also wins in Grenoble, far above the rest.

PM: In your free skate, you successfully did 4F and two 4T, and give the impression that you still have more in the reserves ...
NC: Thanks for saying that, it’s good for my confidence! This is the goal, to be able to continue adding things. Doing a clean program is totally decisive today, with the new rules. So I have to be realistic with myself, the program went well, but today I gave the maximum of what I’m capable of.

PM: So how do you juggle between skating and college?
NC: I chose Grenoble because the competition fell during Thanksgiving Break. But I have to do some homework, a Spanish test next week, and the others in two weeks. I brought my books to study. I no longer go to Los Angeles, I no longer have the time. I train as much as I can in New Haven (in Connecticut, on the East Coast, where Yale is located), depending on my classes.

PM: How do you manage with your coach, Rafael Arutunian, staying in Los Angeles?
NC: I train alone, but I call him when I need to. "Raf", as he's called by Ashley Wagner and Adam Rippon, started "e-coaching" (as we say "e-learning")
RA: It's not easy, but I can't stop him from studying! I didn't think this was possible, in fact, I knew nothing about it. I now realize that one can train remotely. But you need two ingredients: a really great professional, who knows his profession and knows how to analyze in detail, and excellent organization, to implement what is said. The difference is that at a distance you only have one chance to address the skater. The skater tells, the coach analyzes, gives his recommendation, and the skater must do it. Whereas together, we can talk several times, demonstrate, point, feel, and even come back around the coffee machine. But distance coaching has an advantage: at least the coach does not drown his student in 25 recommendations, he can only make one!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
In defense of TSL, I feel like they actually praise Nathan a lot. He was Dave’s highlight of US Nationals, and they comment frequently about Nathan seeming like a normal, well adjusted dude. Dave always says he’s hardest on the ones he likes the most. Don’t get me wrong, TSL can be a little crazy but overall they don’t unanimously praise anybody (except Tracy Wilson haha).

Anyway, I’m excited to see what Nathan and Shae have in the works. I actually do worry about his schedule and being sick all the time. Hoping for a healthy (or at least healthier) season ahead.

We'll agree to disagree here.