Nathan Chen | Page 894 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Nathan looks to be in good shape and well prepared. Nice to see all the photos, videos, and articles!

Good luck to him tomorrow! :cheer:

Tahuu

On the Ice
Nice ice level video from today's FS practice, showing skating skills and nuances to the music. I downloaded it and frame checked the stsq: choctaw - (rocker/counter/loop) - bracket - (rocker/counter/twizzle) - loop - twizzle - choctaw - bracket, level 4.

sheetz

Record Breaker
Nice ice level video from today's FS practice, showing skating skills and nuances to the music. I downloaded it and frame checked the stsq: choctaw - (rocker/counter/loop) - bracket - (rocker/counter/twizzle) - loop - twizzle - choctaw - bracket, level 4.

It's kind of crazy how he gets interrupted after the 4S attempt, then just casually continues on into the 4T.

discode

Final Flight
Yeah, someone in the FSU practice report mentioned he got interrupted a few times by skaters getting too close and he would adjust and just continue to do his quads out of nowhere anyway. Also mentioned his rotation speed is jaw dropping.

shine

Record Breaker
Can we talk about Nathan’s new 3A entry??? I know he did it at JO too but I think I’m just now recovering from the shock. Never would’ve thought he would be able to add something like this :biggrin: Also praying hard that he’ll keep his counter entry into the 3A in the SP too!!

1111bm

Final Flight
I can't believe the shape he's in, he's got almost all of his quads except for 4Lo, and it's just the beginning of the season and all of them look so stable compared to last season. Wth did he do with Raf over the summer, or are these just lasting effects of their time together and it's all uphill from here...?
If he can execute his jumps this well during competition too... wow.

Speaking after practice, Chen told the media he was enjoying incorporating hip-hop moves into his choreography. "I haven’t really seen much of this," said Chen. "It wasn’t something that no one has ever done but rarely do you see it within… I guess within the top six guys you probably won’t see that very often. I figured it would be kind of interesting to breach into it.

"When Marie (France Dubreuil, choreographer) kind of pitched it to me I thought it was a little risky, I just didn’t know how people would respond to it but even in Japan, I got a pretty good response, so hopefully it will continue growing as the season goes on.

I love that he acknowledges, that his hip hop sequence is not something totally unique and never before seen, although it's still unusual and creative relative to the rest of the field.

I wonder if it was truly MFD's input and not rather something Sam or Nathan himself wanted to do? Because he's said in the past, that it is his wish to do a hip hop type program, and now he calls it risky and it sounds like he wasn't the one to come up with it?

Can we talk about Nathan’s new 3A entry??? I know he did it at JO too but I think I’m just now recovering from the shock. Never would’ve thought he would be able to add something like this :biggrin: Also praying hard that he’ll keep his counter entry into the 3A in the SP too!!

It's a bracket. ;)

:pray: for the axels

I can't get over the one in the third to last clip - the entry looks :love:

I think he's done that entry in his junior days for the 2A, but obviously never for his 3A, because he's struggled too much with it, so yay for him attempting it now and not playing it safe.

It's kind of crazy how he gets interrupted after the 4S attempt, then just casually continues on into the 4T.

That 4T looked UR though, so the interruption did (possibly) affect him. ;)

It seems that he has some stress zits again. What has Yale done to this boi in the past two weeks? He didn’t have those at JO.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B3vU8WpJD51/?igshid=t4e61fza0bxy

Looks like it could be just irritation from shaving, and not necessarily lifestyle related.

shine

Record Breaker
^i must be remembering CoR 2017 since that was the last time he had a difficult entry into 3A (that’s not a spreadeagle :p)

discode

Final Flight
His run through was good. Slight 4T mistake, but went right back into a clean one.

Seems like every Nathan fan I follow on twitter is in Vegas. :laugh:

sheetz

Record Breaker
I think he's feeling confident because he's not attempting as many jumps as I've seen him do in the past. Usually he'll drill at least 3A and maybe 4Lz/4F.

1111bm

Final Flight
Could anyone understand what Raf was saying to Nathan and what he was talking about with Nadia? (I got the 'should've blown my nose' part lol, but after that...?)

frida80

Record Breaker
I suspected Nathan would be pretty strong this year since he’s learned how to handle his college/coach situation from last year. That means no adjusting to the rink hopping, classes, labs, and knows how to maintain his jumps. He looks very strong focused. I’m a very happy and proud auntie. :)

Mamamiia

Medalist
I was quite nervous at the beginning and then the curl dropped lol. Good luck with free skate tomorrow Nathan!