Nathan Chen | Page 906 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

discode

Final Flight
I hope he can leave more room for tech content upgrade for Nationals and worlds. Just focus on GOE and performance for now.

He might. I do think he needs to add in his stronger jumps for the SP though. The 4lz3T is something that he has already put in (just not successful yet) so I expect it the SP. And with Yuzu is scoring really high there and all the 4lz's by the men there I don't expect him to just go for 4T3T

The 5 quad layout is probably his worlds/nationals layout more than GPF.

sheetz

Record Breaker
West coast only? Guess they will add more cities later.

Not so sure about that. Last year's attendance seemed pretty poor, and like I said with fewer US stars it's just a hard sell. Maybe you'll be able to go to the Ice Chips show at Harvard?

alexaa

Final Flight
Nathan was mentioned several times in Tomoki’s interview. It seems there are 3 parts of interview. The person translated and posted part one.
https://twitter.com/hanageshinken2/status/1199288818442129409?s=20

06:23, when asked about friends of his age, he mentioned Camden and Andrew Torgshev, and then stated that he talked to Nathan and Vincent a lot.

11: 34 when asked “what do you guys talk to each other?” He answered that “normally, it it Nathan, Mariah, Romain and him talking together.” Nathan usually talks about college. Nathan also asks their opinions on what he plans to do, schoolwork etc useful and meaningful stuff. Nathan is like a big brother figure,” a lot mature than the rest of us. He is calm and level-headed. It is like, now that is an adult”

16:43 He talked about Nathan said that he used to both skating and hockey.

20:24, he talked about there are always people like Nathan and Vincent around him, “always one step, two steps, a hundred steps ahead of me”.

24:05 Tomoki talked about terrified seeing Nathan got injured in the gala when attempting a quad toe. He said “ Nathan kept looking at him”. He said Nathan was taken away in a car and it was all commotion. He knew at that time he was going to the junior worlds.

Iirc, Tomoki said Nathan is a very humorous person during some sessions in The Ice Show. I couldn’t find that tweet.

1111bm

Final Flight

What is she eating though, can anyone tell?

I don't think Nathan has much of a chance at winning GPF. Yes he has some extra training time with Raf now, but that's barely two weeks and he will have to travel to Italy. And as far as we know he also hasn't had an opportunity to spend some more time with his choreographers to brush up his programs.

Meanwhile Yuzuru, his biggest rival, is repeating both his programs. He also looks to be in better shape currently than Nathan, who seems to have taken the GP relatively easy until now (although both don't seem to be at their best possible shape yet). Either because he simply can't spend more time on skating or as part of a regular strategy, where you don't go all out and peak during the GP already.

By that I mean, that even though Nathan has been already doing four quads in his FS, they haven't been the most stable or well executed ones and he's usually had some bad mistakes on a few jumping passes (pops, turn-outs, step outs). He also hasn't included both 4Lz and 4F in one program (if that's even something they're planning to do this season at all).

I also still feel that Nathan's FS is too run-of-the-mill and unimaginative in terms of style/concept compared to Yuzuru's Origin. Save for the ChSq of course, which is fire and he performs it with so much passion and commitment and it adds to the positive impression of his FS. But the rest of the program really doesn't compare well to that, although I appreciate the fact that it flows so nicely and the jumps are incorporated in a way where they fit the music/musical cues.

sheetz

Record Breaker
I think he has a good chance of at least skating his best programs of the season up till now. However, he may hold off from attempting his max layout until Nats and Worlds.

A little from the World Figure Skating interview
https://www.instagram.com/p/B5aWylZJFI4/

Photos from Number magazine
https://twitter.com/nwcgold2019/status/1199899969768943616
I read the Kindle version of his interview in Number. While there was nothing really new he did say that he didn't focus on jumps too much over the summer and instead tried to work on his fundamentals. It also sounds like he's looking forward to taking a break from school and concentrating on skating full time.

sheetz

Record Breaker

sheetz

Record Breaker
More bits from Japanese magazines, translated by dsntedge
https://www.instagram.com/p/B5bdCRkpmxb/
Nathan: ‘I think I was blessed in many ways. Having that said, of course it's hard. Skating is a very tough sport. It's a blood sweat and tears, and it's the same for my college work. No, this one is a little less blood and more sweat. haha.’

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5cLcRGp1M_/
‘Nathan Chen has definitely won the 2 Grand Prix Series this season. I wasn't able to hide my surprise when I first shot him in the Junior Grand Prix series at Colorado Springs in 2015. Because it seemed that one senior skater was mixed among the junior skaters.
His program always overwhelms the viewer. The camera is naturally attracted not only to the completeness of the performance, but also to the unique atmosphere and appearance with the attention to detail. In particular, the short program last year, “Nemesis” is definitely his masterpiece. I wanted to shoot more since he was a kid. He is a skater that makes me feel that way.’

lurkz2

On the Ice
I agree that most ppl favor Yuzu to win the GPF. But Nathan prefers being the underdog anyway. I'm still rooting for Nathan and hoping he pulls off the upset and wins.😉

noskates

Record Breaker
I actually don't see Nathan as the underdog. There's always a lot of hype around Yuzu because of his track record but Nathan is younger and pretty much in better physical shape. I also think Nathan's program is a titch more complicated and when skated clean is a force to be reckoned with. On point - both skating clean and if the judges are truly objective - I would pick Nathan.

1111bm

Final Flight
I actually don't see Nathan as the underdog. There's always a lot of hype around Yuzu because of his track record but Nathan is younger and pretty much in better physical shape.

But it's not because of Yuzuru's track record from the past, it's because of how he skated and was scored as recent as this season.

And I don't think Nathan is currently in better shape than Yuzuru. Physically, from a strength and health point of view, probably yes. But I believe Yuzuru is better trained at the moment, simply because Nathan hasn't been able to spend as much time on his skating and has been away from his coach and team most of the time. By that I mean things such as familiarity and security with the elements and the programs as a whole, technique, recovery time, strength training and possibly stamina. Although Nathan's seems to have naturally better stamina than most, even when he's not in top shape physically, whereas Yuzu seems either hampered by his Asthma or simply doesn't have the constitution to improve his stamina beyond a certain point. So this could work in Nathan's favour.

However, Nathan obviously is not an underdog in the true meaning of the word :laugh: he's still one of the 'sure candidates' expected to place at the top, and no one will be totally surprised should he win. It's just the less likely outcome this season (or at this stage of the season) given the circumstances and how they performed so far. :shrug:

alexaa

Final Flight
SkAm Rocketman on Japanese TV

https://twitter.com/nwcgold2019/status/1200846088804036608?s=20
https://twitter.com/nwcgold2019/status/1200847622149308417?s=20

He did enjoy being an underdog, and that was probably what happened during worlds this year. Win or lose, he would learn good lessons from the experience, and probably work more smart on his approaches to get ready for worlds.

Let’s hope he enjoy the rest of his mini vacation with family. I hope he wouldn’t need to go back Yale, but to go to Italy from Cali

ETA: I posted this in the main forum. This was during SP at SkAm
https://twitter.com/Erinsk8/status/1185324654933622784?s=20

I also disagree that Nathan is underdog, no way!

My guts, heart and avatar says whom I think will win :biggrin: but on paper it is impossible to predict. Yuzu has the edge in artistry and GOE but Nathan definitely has the edge in BV. Maybe I'm not well-informed but his easier content this year compared to the previous ones could be only because he didn't need to take any risk to win till now. He can come out with a completely different and unbeatable layout in GPF. On the other hand, Yuzu has no problem with thinking on his foot and changing the layout whenever/however he wants. I won't be surprised if he counter attacks strategies that'd be put out by Nathan.

Overall, it is the most anticipated competition of the season so far. May the both men stay healthy and be able to compete to their heart content :)

heyheyhey

Final Flight
Nathan: Wins every competition but one for the last 3 seasons by 852274275368338 points

Nathan fans before literally every competition: I’m not expecting him to win, let’s just hope for the best

Too cute 😂
Fans are as humble as Nathan :)

As long as he peaks during the most important competitions (Nationals & Worlds), I’m fine with whatever the results. Just pass your exams Nathan, eat some good food, get some rest, and stay healthy.

sheetz

Record Breaker
Nathan always starts the season with easier layouts; last year he didn't attempt 4 quads in the FS until GPF. During the summer he lets his body rest and then gradually eases his way into the season. Usually he's in peak shape by Nats but it's hard to maintain that level year round.