Need help with skates - lots of injuries | Golden Skate

Need help with skates - lots of injuries

namariah982

Spectator
Country
United-States
Hey y'all, I need some help with getting boots. (Also context- 20yo skating about 10-12ish hours a week with axel, 2s and working on 2t)
I recently got a pair of Risport r53's after being in some Edea choruses for 2 years that were 2 sizes too big. I thought I liked them at first, but at the 2 month point my feet are killing me. All of the padding around the ankle is completely gone, bunga pads don't work anymore to help with my shin splints, and I might have some nerve damage from the new boots. (Top of my foot is completely numb- I'm gonna go see a doctor since it persists constantly off ice). Wondering if I keep getting bad luck with fitters, boots being too narrow... etc? They don't hurt when I put them on and feel snug, I did have some cramping in the middle of my foot when I was breaking them in but I just put it down to having a bit of a stiffer boot. Just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem with trying to find a boot? I'm getting really frustrated with this because I want to be able to skate without being in pain 😓

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Hey y'all, I need some help with getting boots. (Also context- 20yo skating about 10-12ish hours a week with axel, 2s and working on 2t)
I recently got a pair of Risport r53's after being in some Edea choruses for 2 years that were 2 sizes too big. I thought I liked them at first, but at the 2 month point my feet are killing me. All of the padding around the ankle is completely gone, bunga pads don't work anymore to help with my shin splints, and I might have some nerve damage from the new boots. (Top of my foot is completely numb- I'm gonna go see a doctor since it persists constantly off ice). Wondering if I keep getting bad luck with fitters, boots being too narrow... etc? They don't hurt when I put them on and feel snug, I did have some cramping in the middle of my foot when I was breaking them in but I just put it down to having a bit of a stiffer boot. Just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem with trying to find a boot? I'm getting really frustrated with this because I want to be able to skate without being in pain 😓
Where do you live, and someone here can guide you to the best fitter near you? It sounds as if the Risports are the wrong shape for your feet, possibly in the arch area? It's impossible to identify the problem online from just a verbal description -- you need someone who sees your feet in person and measures them in all dimensions, but not all fitters are equally knowledgeable.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
HI and welcome. Risport (dependent on boot) and edea are completely different ankle styles, and then those brands are completely different foot shapes as well.

What is your foot shape? <Look this up.
Height/Weight
Arches (v high/high/regular/low/flat?

Are you referring to Risport Rf3 pros? Or RF1?

namariah982

Spectator
Country
United-States
Where do you live, and someone here can guide you to the best fitter near you? It sounds as if the Risports are the wrong shape for your feet, possibly in the arch area? It's impossible to identify the problem online from just a verbal description -- you need someone who sees your feet in person and measures them in all dimensions, but not all fitters are equally knowledgeable.
There's a fitter about 100 miles away from me, but last time they sized me they sized me 2 sizes too big (edea). I'm in north idaho area?

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
There's a fitter about 100 miles away from me, but last time they sized me they sized me 2 sizes too big (edea). I'm in north idaho area?
Thanks, because GS members are from all over the world. I'm in Canada, but I'm sure some of the American members can recommend someone better for you. Good luck!

namariah982

Spectator
Country
United-States
HI and welcome. Risport (dependent on boot) and edea are completely different ankle styles, and then those brands are completely different foot shapes as well.

What is your foot shape? <Look this up.
Height/Weight
Arches (v high/high/regular/low/flat?

Are you referring to Risport Rf3 pros? Or RF1?
Rf3 pros. About 5'3/ 125lbs
I've got kinda high arches and orthotics that help me stop pronating my feet in my boots. When i look at foot diagrams, i've definitely got sloped feet but somewhere between steep+gentle slope, like an angled forefoot. I'm not really having problems with the toe-box (they're always too big and i bruise the heck out of my toenails), but it's the heel cup that feels way too small.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Rf3 pros. About 5'3/ 125lbs
I've got kinda high arches and orthotics that help me stop pronating my feet in my boots. When i look at foot diagrams, i've definitely got sloped feet but somewhere between steep+gentle slope, like an angled forefoot. I'm not really having problems with the toe-box (they're always too big and i bruise the heck out of my toenails), but it's the heel cup that feels way too small.
You may want to look at the Royal Pro line of boots if you don't like the feel of the ankles in the RF's. Also, looks like you need a boot that is a different width in the toebox than the heel (this can be done), as many of us have a much more narrow heel than toebox.
Otherwise, sounds like Risport is good for you with the arches.
How far up in Idaho are you? I know of a great fitter but their more central/south ID. Otherwise you'd have to go into Canada if you can. Let me know and I can suggest from there.

namariah982

Spectator
Country
United-States
I go between Moscow/CDA area a lot? I'm more wondering if it's even possible to like stretch out the heel of the skate so it's not pressing so much on my ankle while still having a decent heel-lock.